Fry's Somerdale to feature in the October 2020 Issue of Railway Modeller! 
The layout is part of my 'Plan of the Month' article which takes a look at the history of the Somerdale site in Keynsham and it's connection with the railways, exploring it's modelling potential.
The magazine goes on sale from the 10th September. :)

IMG_20200906_123407.jpg

IMG_20200906_123357.jpg

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Hi Callum it’s great to see you have made it into Railway Modeller. I will be purchasing the magazine this week. Well done.:yahoo:

Sort of hard not to as I do work for them :D But not often you get to show your own personal layout in it :) 

9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I do enjoy seeing a 'chum's' layout in print. 

Well done  Callum. 

Rob. 

Many thanks Rob. Hope the articles up to scratch! Got some big plans for the layout in the future, one the house move is sorted :)

• Like 1

Fry's Somerdale to feature in the October 2020 Issue of Railway Modeller!
The layout is part of my 'Plan of the Month' article, which takes a look at the history of the Somerdale site and its connection with the railways, exploring its modelling potential, as well as a feature on the layout itself.
The magazine is on sale from the 10th September 2020.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4

Hi Callum, enjoyed the article in the RM. I really like the way you've adapted a prototype and turned it into a layout plan, you've done a good bit of research there. 

I'll look forward to seeing any more developments on the layout, well done :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Hi Callum, enjoyed the article in the RM. I really like the way you've adapted a prototype and turned it into a layout plan, you've done a good bit of research there. 

I'll look forward to seeing any more developments on the layout, well done :)

Many thanks indeed! Glad you like the plan! Would certainly make an interesting layout. Maybe one day...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Daniel Gee said:

Where did you get the "Fry's Somerdale" water slide decals. Could I have a link to them if possible?

Hi Daniel, they're not quite right for the Sentinel, but they are close enough. 

Here's a link;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DINKY-28-280-SERIES-DELIVERY-VANS-TRANSFERS-DECALS/222596720580?hash=item33d3cc67c4:g:zL4AAOSwJhdZfIWn

• Friendly/supportive 1

A recent addition to the Fry's Somerdale fleet! 
Rails of Sheffield A1X 'Terrier' GWR No.5! 
No.5 was reported to have work at the site during 1940. It was around this same date that the Fry's Sentinel was out of action due to an accident, so she could of been covering her work. 
Here's No.5 in action at the head of a short vintage GWR rake taken during a recent running session in the loft. Video to follow soon :)

IMG_20200928_162552-01.jpeg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Excellent article in the Railway Modeller - it certainly would be interesting to see a layout develop along the suggestions made therein!

Steve S

Hi Steve

Many thanks indeed! Never know, maybe one day. However, I have got big plans for the layout, fingers crossed! :) 

• Like 1

Chocolate anyone? 
Fry's Somerdale Sentinel wearing it's new fully lined out Fry's Royal Blue livery. Massive thanks to "Railway Mania" for allowing me to try out some early transfer samples.

Check out his topic for more info;

IMG_20201007_131101-01.jpeg

IMG_20201007_125713-01.jpeg

IMG_20201007_131013-01.jpeg

IMG_20201007_125607-01.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome another instalment on my Model Railway Workbench, taking another look behind the scenes at some of the modelling projects I've been working on over the past few weeks and months.
In this episode, we start by taking a closer look at a number of locomotive kits I've been working on, including the 009 Baguley McEwan Pratt ‘677’ 10HP Class 0-4-0PM from Narrow Planet and the Railway Mania Avonside B4 0-6-0st.
I've also been working a number of handy photography planks to help with photographing and filming my modelling projects for videos and work, as well as lining out my  Fry's Sentinel, with the help of some new custom transfers! 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 27/07/2020 at 09:56, SDJR7F88 said:

Really is a massive shame they took it down. 

I'm sure they could have easily achieved the outcome of a cycle path etc and preserved the iconic stonework....and it would probably have been cheaper...

• Agree 1

With the recent house move to Devon, it's been a very busy past couple of months. However, with the house renovations nearing completion, I've finally managed to make a start on the most important room... The Railway Room! 
Despite being 8ft x 7ft I've got big plans for the room, with an integrated workbench for both my personal and Railway Modeller modelling projects , as well as plenty of shelving to maximise the space and storage. 
In this first update I give you a guided tour of the room, taking a look at the custom built workbench, baseboards and shelves, as well as discuses future plans for the room, including a little tease for a possible future layout...
I hope to bring you lots more updates on the progress of the layout over the coming weeks.
Let me know what you think...
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

With the recent house move to Devon, it's been a very busy past couple of months. However, with the house renovations nearing completion, I've finally managed to make a start on the most important room... The Railway Room! 
Despite being 8ft x 7ft I've got big plans for the room, with an integrated workbench for both my personal and Railway Modeller modelling projects , as well as plenty of shelving to maximise the space and storage. 
In this first update I give you a guided tour of the room, taking a look at the custom built workbench, baseboards and shelves, as well as discuses future plans for the room, including a little tease for a possible future layout...
I hope to bring you lots more updates on the progress of the layout over the coming weeks.
Let me know what you think...
Hope you enjoy!

A really helpful video - lots of things to take note of before we dive in and start building models and layouts (eg: why the workbench is at the height it is).  We won’t all have a dedicated room (I don’t), but there are still things to note.  Thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/10/2020 at 09:37, Keith Addenbrooke said:

A really helpful video - lots of things to take note of before we dive in and start building models and layouts (eg: why the workbench is at the height it is).  We won’t all have a dedicated room (I don’t), but there are still things to note.  Thanks.

Many thanks indeed! Always wanted a work bench so wanted to check what was the best height! Hopefully will be a comfortable set-up