A short running session on 00 Micro Layout - Fry's Somerdale featuring my Bachmann British Rail Class 08, 08935 edited with Real Sound. 
In this video we see the 08 shunting deliveries into the Somerdale site, before returning with load vans of produce. Sounds are provided by fellow Class members recorded during visits to various local preserved railways over the years.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 9

Fry's Somerdale Sentinel construction article to feature in the December 2020 Issue of Railway Modeller!
The step by step guide follows on from my recent 'Plan of the Month' article on the Somerdale site, which featured in the October 2020 Issue of the magazine. In the article I show you how I created the locomotive from a Hardy's Hobbies 3D Printed body kit, including adding the new lining kit from Railway Mania.
The magazine is on sale from the 12th November 2020.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 5

Welcome to the second instalment on the construction of the Railway Room. 
Over the past few weeks there's been plenty of progress on the room with the new lighting and storage units having been fitted into position. The majority of my micro layout have also now arrived, taking pride of place on their custom selves, including Amiens 1918, Argonne Forest & Basin Road, along with a number of my tools and modelling materials. 
In this update we take a closer look at these new additions to the room, as well as a sneak peak at some soon to be released models currently on my workbench for Railway Modeller magazine, plus I reveal my grand plans for new layout!  
As always, let us know what you think! 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A short running session on 00 Micro Layout - Fry's Somerdale featuring the Hardy's Hobbies Fry's Sentinel in her new fully lined out livery, edited with Real Sound. 
The model is based on the same design of Sentinel locomotive that was used at the Fry's Somerdale Chocolate Factory in Keynsham, which was recently restored to full working order on the Avon Valley Railway, near Bristol in 2019, turned out in Fry's Royal Blue with Gold Leaf insignia. Constructed from the new 3D Printed Body Kit from Hardy's Hobbies, the model fits directly onto a Hornby Ruston chassis, with no modification necessary.
In this video we see the Sentinel shunting deliveries into the Somerdale site, before returning with load vans of produce. Sounds are provided by the real locomotive, which is preserved on the Avon Valley Railway, near Fry's Somerdale Chocolate Factory where she once worked.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 9

Welcome to the third instalment on the construction of the Railway Room. 
Over the past few weeks there has been plenty more progress on the room with improvements to the workbench, baseboard and lighting, as well as finally making a start on the layout itself, "Lyncombe Vale". 
In this update we take a closer look at some of these changes, including the construction of Watery Bottom Viaduct, as well as a look at some more soon to be released models currently on my workbench for Railway Modeller magazine, plus as a couple of big surprises! 
As always, let us know what you think! 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

A short night themed running session on Fry's Somerdale featuring the Hardy's Hobbies Fry's Sentinel.
This is the first time I've managed to get around to operating the layout in the dark, with just the street lamp providing a atmospheric glow to the scene.  
Admittedly my camera was struggling with the low lighting for this one, so will be looking at ways to improve it for the next.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 14

• 11 months later...

The Chocolate Box...
In preparation for Fry's Somerdale's first outing this weekend at the Gartell Light Railway, Templecombe, I've been carrying out some detailing work on the Fry's  Sentinel.

New additions included;
. Extra cab detail - including hand break and reverser.
. Whistle
. Sander rodding
. Chainlink couplings
. Lamp
. Painted wheels
. Buffer grease

Final perperation are being made to the layout ready for the outing. All being well I look forward to hopefully see you then!

IMG_20220211_134726_027.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

12th - 13th February 2022, saw the Cale Rail Society host their annual Model Railway Exhibition, at the Gartell light Railway, Templecombe. 
This years line-up featured no less than 13 layouts in a variety of gauges and scales - including a first public outing for 'Fry's Somerdale', along with and excellent selection of Trade Stands and Societies. The event also saw the Gartell Light Railway running it's first public service of the year, with GLR Bo-Bo Diesel Hydraulic, No.1 'Amanda' hauling services between Common Lane and Park Lane, along the old track bed of the Somerset & Dorset Railway.
Layouts as featured;
GARTELL MODEL RAILWAY - OO
LONGMOOR - N
BURNHAM-ON-SEA - 2MM FINESCALE
ISOLATION ROAD - OO (first public outing)
BAKERS R JUNCTION - OO 
RUSHMORE - OO
WOODY LANE - OO9
I 'AD THAT! - Hornby-DUBLO
BRADSTCOK LOCO - O (first public outing)
CROSSCOMBE - O
SOUTH CHESTER - N
WEST HILL - OO9
FRY'S SOMERDALE - OO (first public outing)
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 6

On 13/02/2022 at 20:16, Captain Kernow said:

I have to say, Callum, that the exit from the scenic section to your 'main line end' fiddle yard is one of the best I have ever seen with the clever use of the backscenes.

Thanks ever so much! Was really worried at first about how I was to create that effect. So pleased with how it worked out. The number of comments received over the weekend from visit that couldn't believe how small it really was was the icing on the cake :D

• Like 1

My late gran lived in Keynsham and I used to visit by train in the 1980s, long after the Frys branch had closed but there were still rails in the road and the gates and trackbed were clearly visible. You’ve captured it perfectly. Excellent work! 

In my memory there ought to be a 33 on 5 Mk1s accelerating away from the station as I walk that way...

Mol

• 5 months later...

Ready for the off...
British Rail Class 08, 08935 is flagged across Keynsham Road into the Fry's Somerdale site... 
You can see Fry's Somerdale tomorrow at Exmoor Rail 2022, Minehead, Somerset (see flyer for full details). 
Hope to see you there!

IMG_20220805_184619_585.jpg

IMG_20220805_184619_624.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Fry's Chocolate Clean...
Final checks are being made to Fry's Somerdale in preparation for the layouts next outing this weekend at Taunton Rail-Ex 2022 - Taunton School, Staplegrove Road, Taunton, Somerset TA2 6AD. 
Here's the layout set-up in the rather cramped Railway Room for track cleaning.
Hope to see you there!

IMG_20221020_201740_809.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

See you later, Callum. I'm hoping to get there mid-afternoon. 

Rob. 

Hi Rob, plan to set-up early tomorrow morning (not sure where I'm too yet so if you have any info when you get there that will be grand)! See you then!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Hi Rob, plan to set-up early tomorrow morning (not sure where I'm too yet so if you have any info when you get there that will be grand)! See you then!

Will do. Are you at the Holiday Inn ? 

• 2 months later...

Hymek of activity...
British Rail Class 35 'Hymek', No D7001 eases across the A4175 and into the Fry's Somerdale site with a rake of empties. 
Behind the scenes it's all go getting Fry's Somerdale ready once more for another public outing, this time at the 48th Somerset & Dorset Trust Model Railway Exhibition, which is due to take place this coming weekend (7th/8th Jan) at Edington Village Hall, Edington, Somerset, TA7 9HA. 
All being well, I'll be trailing out the Hymek, along with the recently weathered vans. 
For further details on the show, see link below; https://www.sdrt.org/edington-model-railway-exhibition/

IMG_20230105_202736_728.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7th / 8th January 2023 saw the return of the Edington Model Railway Exhibition, hosted by the Somerset & Dorset Trust at Edington Village Hall, Edington, Somerset.
The show featured no less than 11 layouts and dioramas in a variety of gauges and scales, as well as a good selection of trade, demo and society stands. 
Layouts as featured;
SHEEP DIP - OO
QUARRY LANE - EM
MARGATE ROAD - OO
WYLAM PARK - N
BRIDGEWATER 1904 - O
WOODBURY WHARF - OO9
THE DEEPING PROJECT - GMRC LAYOUT - OO / OO9
JURASSIC PARK - GMRC LAYOUT - OO
BURROW MUMP - 1/24 SCALE
GORSAF LLANBOBBLE  - 4MM SCALE / 5MM GAUGE
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 7

On 05/01/2023 at 20:42, Captain Kernow said:

Another reason to go to the Edington show, unfortunately I can't do so this year.

Shame you were unable to make it this year, will hopefully get the layout to another local show in the near future.

• Like 1