On 24/04/2020 at 18:46, luke the train spotter said:

Absolutely love that road texture, spot on! And the colour match with the backscene is perfect. 

Many thanks indeed! So pleased with how that effect turned out. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the third installment on Fry's Somerdale, my latest 00 Gauge Micro Layout project.
Over the past few days there's been plenty more progress on the layout. The first most noticeable change is the addition of the cutting into the Fry's Somerdale site, along with my signature Wood-filler and PVA Mud Mix. Work has also continued on the road and crossing, with the crossing complete and a layer of weathering added. We also take a closer look some of the details, such as the iconic gates which have been test fitted into position. 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4

Chuffed! The transition of the roadway from foreground to background is excellent. A almost imperceptible difference at the joint is perfectly fine, sometimes road repair projects are done to a certain limit and results in that ever so slight difference in tone.

Best,

Jeff

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jeff P said:

Chuffed! The transition of the roadway from foreground to background is excellent. A almost imperceptible difference at the joint is perfectly fine, sometimes road repair projects are done to a certain limit and results in that ever so slight difference in tone.

Best,

Jeff

Many thanks indeed Jeff! Glad you like it! So pleased with how that effect has turned out. Honestly don't know how I manage to do it

15 minutes ago, BigBountyHunter said:

Really ,really very well done, such a lovely idea and great little project, i always look forward to updates on this, brilliant

Many thanks indeed! Glad you like it! More progress coming soon! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Green fingers today (quite literally, as I've managed to glue most of the foliage to them)! First quarter of the scenics is complete! 
Work started by creating the small wire fence to the right of the crossing, made from matchsticks and fishing line. The street lamp was then wired and tested, before moving onto the green stuff.
Ground cover is blend of fine and corse Woodland Scenics earth turf. The trees are built up in layers with a mixture of light, medium and dark Woodland Scenics fine foliage. The start of the tree arch over the road was also formed. Lose bits are also added to the ground cover to build up the texture. 
On top of that, the gates, fencing, telegraph poles and billboard are received a light coat of weathering powders. 
So pleased with how this section has turned out! Sadly I've ran out of my usual glue, will see how progress goes...

FB_IMG_1588019142234.jpg

FB_IMG_1588019139139.jpg

FB_IMG_1588019144946.jpg

FB_IMG_1588019147925.jpg

FB_IMG_1588019150774.jpg

FB_IMG_1588019154146.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

18 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Callum super modelling mate. The ground cover and foliage looks great.:good_mini:

Many thanks indeed! Really pleased with how its turning out! Especially now we got a bit of green on there

18 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

Nice little diorama. (Just caught up on everything on YT)

I assume the lamp is concrete? Have you of/will be weathering it as it looks rather clean?

Many thanks indeed! Yes, that's on the to do list

46 minutes ago, down the sdjr said:

The curved road really draws the eye into the backscene, very nice. Do you plan on having a lorry or such waiting at the road?

Many thanks, yep got a few vehicles planned for it

More green!
The first half of the thick woodland on the cutting is now complete, with the second half recieving some ground cover. On the other side of the crossing the fencing and second part of the gate has been added. These have all been blended in with fine foliage, recreating the bushes that have grown up around the railings. 
Sadly I've ran out of some of the tones of the fine foliage, so the other half the cutting will have to wait a while. Still a few little thing to get on with though...

FB_IMG_1588100317843.jpg

FB_IMG_1588100315268.jpg

FB_IMG_1588100320381.jpg

FB_IMG_1588100307133.jpg

FB_IMG_1588100312635.jpg

FB_IMG_1588100309514.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Let there be light!
The other day I fitted an LED light bar to the front of the layout. As you can imagine with the lovely weather and the layout being currently located in a conservatory it's been hard to gauge how effective it is. So I waited until dark this evening to give it a quick test... and here are the results! Really impress with the IKEA lighting, give the layout a nice natural sunlight colour. 
Not only that, the concrete street lamp was also put to rest! Needless to say, think it will make for some interesting night shoots! 
Let me know what you think!

FB_IMG_1588184215421.jpg

FB_IMG_1588184212719.jpg

FB_IMG_1588184218078.jpg

FB_IMG_1588184222457.jpg

FB_IMG_1588184220276.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

A little side project I've been working on... SDJR Peckett has finally received a coat of black paint to the red running plate. Really is quite the transformation! While the paint was to hand I repainted the wheel on a new Hornby Cadbury wagon. I thought it would make nice addition to Somerdale when complete (Cadbury's took over Fry's at a later date, so thought it might be plausible).
While the two were drying I couldn't resist taking a few quick pictures of pair on Somerdale. :)

FB_IMG_1588270960455.jpg

FB_IMG_1588270962905.jpg

FB_IMG_1588270965473.jpg

FB_IMG_1588270971566.jpg

FB_IMG_1588270968052.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Fantastic work Callum! The photos with the street light on look superb, the backscene blends so well with the road. Great stuff! 

Many thanks! So pleased with how that effect has turned out :)