Victorian/Lambton-style 0-6-0 Coal Engine Scratchbuild

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bgman said:

If you are really stuck then a thin coat of vaseline applied with a brush works.

I agree.

I've used loads of the fancy ease release etc but I've found that brushing on Vaseline is the easiest and cheapest, at present my moulds smells of aloe vera.......

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm we have none in the house, maybe I should venture out tomorrow and try to find some?

I've popped the rubber out and managed to dig out most of the plasticine, pretty pleased so far. You can see the registration holes for the 2nd part of the mould too.

6072C720-A217-4A5A-947C-0CDA96F34BC4_1_201_a.jpeg.4fd81ba0b02fbe5f95eb21e2df6d1fa2.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Alright! Some good news.

I used the Mann ease-release 200 stuff, then mixed up and poured on some Mold (sic) Star fast curing rubber. This stuff set within an hour compared to the 24 hours of the pink stuff.

65D6AEFC-207B-4A67-9AFF-7B33B3E73D3E_1_105_c.jpeg.9b8f4276cf4c90154326317efe6dbef0.jpeg

The ease release does create a sticky coating which sticks to your fingers, though so handle with care.

Then did a pour with some smooth-cast. I have found that whilst this sets fairly quickly, it remains malleable and bendy for some time afterwards, so I tend to leave it in the mould for about an hour after pouring to give it a chance to set and stiffen.

C97B8659-BC71-4E24-84E2-05F8A40D1477_1_105_c.jpeg.1675d473689ede45703ac73b4efff5f9.jpeg

This is it! A few issues with bubbles still but not as many as before. Most of the flash can be trimmed away without damaging the model, nothing that a little bit of bashing won't fix anyway.

3A99AF29-FF19-4FBD-9131-EDD0B6968F61_1_105_c.jpeg.af153bb97b888fb462f3afec79273c0e.jpeg

Then there were four. The one at the back has some wagon wheels underneath it, handily the pin point bearings are in the casting although they need a bit of reaming out!

4A4F465C-AE54-468E-B3CC-EDC8375E604A_1_102_o.jpeg.2f287906ed85d680b9c677381570ea0a.jpeg

Thank goodness for that. Maybe I should get on with the rest of the loco now...

• Like 16

On 21/04/2020 at 19:52, chris p bacon said:

I agree.

I've used loads of the fancy ease release etc but I've found that brushing on Vaseline is the easiest and cheapest, at present my moulds smells of aloe vera.......

Over the 20+ years I've been casting resin I've tried all manner of release agents for making two part moulds, always open to new ideas, but always came back to Vaseline applied with cotton buds. On a basis of cost and success rate I've not found anything better yet.

One day(!!) I will get round to getting some one to photograph the process whilst I am working and show what works for me, I don't believe in "Trade Secrets" and don't have any, I've had a couple of people offer but each time life seems to have got in the way. I've worked out a few wrinkles over the years which could , perhaps, help others who would like to have a go. I'm not vain enough to say mine is the best way, but I have turned out a few thousand castings since I started in 1996 for myself and other traders too. I've had a few failures too, and managed to make some things which really should not have worked but do.

At one time I used to take a demonstration casting table around the shows alongside my trade stand and I know it inspired a few people to have a go themselves.  I've given this a break for a while now, but perhaps when things return to what ever becomes normal I'll give it a go again, providing that show managers want me too of course.

Phil T.

Port Wynnstay Models

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 6

It is a few years since I did any casting, but, if I remember correctly, the trick with Vaseline was to dilute it in slightly warm meths. This reduced it to  more like a liquid which made it easy to apply with a brush. 

Hope this helps

Best wishes 

Eric 

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Isn’t copying another’s product like this a breach of copyright?

Only if you sell it or make it available for others. If done for yourself in the privacy of your home there isn't an issue.

• Agree 2

It's not copyright it's the design part of intellectual property, quite different provisions and protections but some similarities.  Mind you there was always a question about what GBL themselves were copying and did that infringe anything.

Alan

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Isn’t copying another’s product like this a breach of copyright?

It certainly would be if I was selling them (even putting aside GBL's rather dubious copying of the Bachmann product). If I was going to sell resin anything it would have to be something significantly modified, like the little Bagnall I did, or wholly my creation.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Only if you sell it or make it available for others. If done for yourself in the privacy of your home there isn't an issue.

Um. No.

In theory, GBL have been deprived of the revenue from more sales, although as the item is no longer available, then I suspect no one would raise a serious case for the small number of castings produced for personal use.

52 minutes ago, Corbs said:

It certainly would be if I was selling them (even putting aside GBL's rather dubious copying of the Bachmann product). If I was going to sell resin anything it would have to be something significantly modified, like the little Bagnall I did, or wholly my creation.

If you were selling them, it would be far more egregious an act, but it is still a breach of copyright, even if the original is not in current production, and even if there have modifications to the original - and this crosses international borders as at least one kit manufacturer I know had found out.

It is worth pointing out that personal use does not extend to making repeat copies even just for oneself. This is not like the old practice of making up a tape with a selection of favourite tracks for playing in the car, as providing one owned the originals, well, you wouldn’t play both at the same time, would you?

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Um. No.

In theory, GBL have been deprived of the revenue from more sales, although as the item is no longer available, then I suspect no one would raise a serious case for the small number of castings produced for personal use.

What are GBL going to do, kick down the door of Corbs asking for the moulds. :rolleyes:

I for one don't like it when someone uses something another has produced and markets it to make money without the originator getting anything from it. But that is a long way from owning an item that you want a second one of, that you intend to keep to yourself.

But why ask the question, if you can then give an answer ? ( which is very different to that of Buhar which I suspect is actually correct)

• RMweb Gold

To clarify, Simon you are in all likelihood correct. I don't want this to get drawn out into a debate about copyright, it's a thread about making a model of an imaginary steam engine. 

I don't know why you want to bring it up, maybe you wanted to forewarn me and others about the dangers of copying (and especially selling) others IP, in which case thank you.

Edited by Corbs
typo
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just that people should be aware: can’t imagine that GBL would sue you.

If the initial response to my observation had been along the lines of accepting that there might be a small infringement and that you accept the risks, then there would have been no argument.

(And yes, Dave, it probably is IPR, but that’s a fine difference over which law has been broken, rather than a law being broken. I brought it up because I know of this happening. And it pisses me off when someone happily nicks my ideas without crediting them, but that’s outside of the hobby.)

It is worth making the warning.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep all good in that case!

Incidentally I'm starting my own line of models, the Corbs Bodged Lookalike Collection. Very reasonable prices for 100%* original work.

*Actual percentage my vary by as much as 150%

• Funny 4

Regarding the above and copying - what about all those locos made of 'coal' that did the rounds a few years ago?  And still turn up occasionally.  They look like someone has taken a Kitmaster/Hornby/Bachmann loco and taken a mould straight from it!

A bit off topic, sorry - but I'm intrigued.  I've often wondered about the copyright issue over these.

Like the loco BTW.  Get the thread back on track (and the loco;)).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 5050 said:

Regarding the above and copying - what about all those locos made of 'coal' that did the rounds a few years ago?  And still turn up occasionally.  They look like someone has taken a Kitmaster/Hornby/Bachmann loco and taken a mould straight from it!

A bit off topic, sorry - but I'm intrigued.  I've often wondered about the copyright issue over these.

Like the loco BTW.  Get the thread back on track (and the loco;)).

The real question is 'how well do they burn'?

1 hour ago, Joseph the L&YR lover said:

not to derail the conversation any more but would you mold your bill shell to make ben or would an ertl meet the hacksaw for him?

Unsure, depends what mood I'm in! Might bite the bullet and try to cast the existing one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I had tried and failed to fabricate some splashers from styrene so opted to cast some from the GBL C Class. Now have a surplus of sandbox splashers...

The front cylinder cover is shaped from some thick styrene rod, the cab roof has gained a hatch.

F090F2BF-0579-498C-97CB-30DBB65239AC_1_105_c.jpeg.7e93a4edda26a3660a327c466b2a7fc8.jpeg

The placeholder smokebox door was junk so I threw it out and tried a different one (shewn below).

Current state of the loco, part way through the process of filling, sanding, a bit of filler primer here and there. I'd like to go for a mid-green lined with black, and black or grey frames with red bufferbeams.

Maybe handrails tomorrow if I really feel like punishing myself...

F8FFB164-96D5-4801-A1D6-D519B1346844_1_201_a.jpeg.a32dde43ff9660a3872cb71c1f69f4e5.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Corbs said:

I had tried and failed to fabricate some splashers from styrene so opted to cast some from the GBL C Class. Now have a surplus of sandbox splashers...

The front cylinder cover is shaped from some thick styrene rod, the cab roof has gained a hatch.

F090F2BF-0579-498C-97CB-30DBB65239AC_1_105_c.jpeg.7e93a4edda26a3660a327c466b2a7fc8.jpeg

The placeholder smokebox door was junk so I threw it out and tried a different one (shewn below).

Current state of the loco, part way through the process of filling, sanding, a bit of filler primer here and there. I'd like to go for a mid-green lined with black, and black or grey frames with red bufferbeams.

Maybe handrails tomorrow if I really feel like punishing myself...

F8FFB164-96D5-4801-A1D6-D519B1346844_1_201_a.jpeg.a32dde43ff9660a3872cb71c1f69f4e5.jpeg

really liking this model, I've got a kit built outside frame dean goods that I'm planning on doing something similar to and making a different colliery outside frame tender loco, hadn't thought about putting class 08 wheels on a more modern chassis though as my kit is a really poor runner, if I can face doing the lining I might make something like this as I like the fully enclosed cab

image.png.e32a32473ba5d0a6f30c57d2f0b1d476.png

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realise when I started making this that Hornby 08 wheels are now rare as hen's teeth! I've managed to break a spoke on one and unseat the crank on another, one of the reasons I ceased work on the chassis for the time being.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Tried Rover Java Green and... nah. Maybe ok for Alfred or Judy but on this I am not a fan, so have some other variants of green on order and will try again later, but this does help the loco come to life a bit more at least. Handrails are fitted which you all know I LOVE doing so much....

90860EC1-19BA-4F0D-94D0-2955D8E1322B.jpeg.cdb7e4896dda73f045f219b6b1880382.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Here's the current state of Harwick No.1 (or 2, or maybe a combination of 1 & 2)

F737FBE9-0689-471E-A27B-1D9EE7EABD83.jpeg.6f260ec7b183461a2d0314c3a1424e12.jpeg

Springs and sandboxes are adapted from TSDesigns ones. Caley Coaches safety valves and smokebox door handle, RT Models buffers and a dummy hook from the spare parts drawer.

Have started to paint the cab interior but need to fish around and find a suitable backhead of the correct size for the boiler.

The colour I used is RAL6017 from a rattle can (thanks to a friend in the motor trade who looked through some shades that weren't available at Halfords). It's a bit lighter than Lambton green but then again there seem to have been so many shades of that!

Lining, I am currently undecided on white/black/white or plain black. Any thoughts?

• Like 10

On 17/05/2020 at 22:59, Corbs said:

Here's the current state of Harwick No.1 (or 2, or maybe a combination of 1 & 2)

F737FBE9-0689-471E-A27B-1D9EE7EABD83.jpeg.6f260ec7b183461a2d0314c3a1424e12.jpeg

Springs and sandboxes are adapted from TSDesigns ones. Caley Coaches safety valves and smokebox door handle, RT Models buffers and a dummy hook from the spare parts drawer.

Have started to paint the cab interior but need to fish around and find a suitable backhead of the correct size for the boiler.

The colour I used is RAL6017 from a rattle can (thanks to a friend in the motor trade who looked through some shades that weren't available at Halfords). It's a bit lighter than Lambton green but then again there seem to have been so many shades of that!

Lining, I am currently undecided on white/black/white or plain black. Any thoughts?

I think black lining edged white will look smart but it may look a bit like a Stewart and Lloyds Minerals Ltd livery (iron ore mining)?

• Like 1