OO Gauge Heritage Railway Terminus Station 14 Feet x 18 Inches

Stueyboy43

Hi all,

I have been using the time at home recently to start building my first working layout based on a heritage railway. I have built a small depot layout on a single board before but never anything this big - any help would be appreciated.

I have designed the layout as 14 feet x 18 inches, to hopefully be able to have running sessions in the house before it can have a permanent place in the garage.

It is a OO scale layout, running DCC with NCE Powercab. The points are going to be either wire in tube, or motor powered, with wiring changed and a Gaugemaster DCC80 controlling the frog polarity. The points on the scenic side of the layout are Medium radius Live Frog, and all track is code 100. the points in the fiddle yard are Bachmann Settrack which are wire for power no matter which way they are thrown.

I have based the station loosely on the GCR's Leicester North, with a single platform and run around loop, but have switched platform sides and placed it in a different setting. i have also added a line to go to an engine shed, to be able to store a few locos on the scenic board.

The look i want to go for is what i see on heritage lines, some historical buildings and structures, blended with either temporary structures or new builds as the railway expands and it's needs change. Some lineside clutter, the odd engine on pallets etc, spare wheels, maybe a rusting boiler. Coaches in varying states of finish.

The station is designed to accept 4 coach trains (originally 3 coach) which is the minimum I was hoping for.

The track at the joins will be soldered onto copper clad sleepers.

I have been building the boards in the sun over the last couple of days, and the layout consists of 2 x 6 foot long boards, with a 2 foot board at the end (this might end up being 3 feet long).

I am committed to the board dimensions now, but if anyone has any pointers or ideas for improvements before i start laying track down that would be much appreciated.

I have an overall plan, and also an idea of the scenic side of the board, I have left small details off, coal bunker, benches etc as will probably just see where they best fit when the main parts are down. Also looking to place a signal box on the layout somewhere to house the brass lever frame i have if I go down the wire in tube method.

All feedback appreciated.

14ft x 18in board V1.jpg

fiddle yard board.png

scenic_board.png

Edited by Stueyboy43
  • Like 2

Unless you specifically want some cars on the layout, I would be tempted to avoid a car park. 

Simply because I am familiar with it, I would be tempted to do an "inspired by" of the Paignton Queens Park station of the Dartmouth Steam Railway, with a bit of Kingswear thrown in (though they also have a somewhat similar track arrangement at Churston with sheds former one side of platforms).

I would put the engine shed where the car park is - perhaps an older brick/stone structure - with a "station/gift shop/cafe" added in a more modern style to the right non-track end of it.  Passenger platform running most of the length of the shed, with a bit of metal railing along the left end of the platform where the shed has ended and the approach tracks allow visual views of engines entering/leaving or even parked.

Water column remains where it is - the engine shed doesn't really need it while the trains running back and forth do, and a pile of coal on the ground next to it.

Space permitting, perhaps even a third track next to the front of the layout, much like Paignton Queens Park, to allow for the storage of extra coaches to you can add some shunting - lengthen the train for a peak service, or a second train for busy days waiting for an engine to show up.

The hint of Kingswear would be the signal box - a totally unneeded from an operation standpoint structure but built to hold the railway offices and done as a signal box to "blend in" - this would allow you to build a larger than necessary box if you wanted to hold your human hand sized brass lever frame.

Then go with a 3-way point entering the fiddle yard area to get the most out of little space, made possible by the movement of the "mainline" closer to the centre of the boards.

Kingswear "signal box" - https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidswilson/40323118090/

And results of a quick search showing the general layout of Paignton Queens Park (which is tucked in next to the BR/NR Paignton Station using former coach sidings space)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnfrombedford/49219995057/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wirewiping/14158714687/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/21008927625/

Edited by mdvle
clarified churston

14 hours ago, mdvle said:

Unless you specifically want some cars on the layout, I would be tempted to avoid a car park. 

Simply because I am familiar with it, I would be tempted to do an "inspired by" of the Paignton Queens Park station of the Dartmouth Steam Railway, with a bit of Kingswear thrown in (though they also have a somewhat similar track arrangement at Churston with sheds former one side of platforms).

I would put the engine shed where the car park is - perhaps an older brick/stone structure - with a "station/gift shop/cafe" added in a more modern style to the right non-track end of it.  Passenger platform running most of the length of the shed, with a bit of metal railing along the left end of the platform where the shed has ended and the approach tracks allow visual views of engines entering/leaving or even parked.

Water column remains where it is - the engine shed doesn't really need it while the trains running back and forth do, and a pile of coal on the ground next to it.

Space permitting, perhaps even a third track next to the front of the layout, much like Paignton Queens Park, to allow for the storage of extra coaches to you can add some shunting - lengthen the train for a peak service, or a second train for busy days waiting for an engine to show up.

The hint of Kingswear would be the signal box - a totally unneeded from an operation standpoint structure but built to hold the railway offices and done as a signal box to "blend in" - this would allow you to build a larger than necessary box if you wanted to hold your human hand sized brass lever frame.

Then go with a 3-way point entering the fiddle yard area to get the most out of little space, made possible by the movement of the "mainline" closer to the centre of the boards.

Kingswear "signal box" - https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidswilson/40323118090/

And results of a quick search showing the general layout of Paignton Queens Park (which is tucked in next to the BR/NR Paignton Station using former coach sidings space)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnfrombedford/49219995057/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wirewiping/14158714687/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/21008927625/

Hi mdvle 

Many thanks for your reply and links to pictures.

I have placed a car park on there as have a few oxford cars I would like to display but looking at it the car park is quite big so may reduce it.

I forgot to mention after I drew the layout I decided to switch viewpoint so the car park and station are now the front on the layout.

I will look at a possible carriage siding. 

Regarding a signal box I could add it at the end of the reduced size car park, I might try one of the laser cut kit models and build 3 walls and half the roof and see how that goes. I could use something like this http://www.lcut.co.uk/index.php?product=B 00-12&title=B 00-12

I'm trying to use the track I have but will look at the plan with a 3 way point. Will post a new pic later

What do you like doing with a model railway? To me it doesn't look as though there's very much in the way of play value - which is fine if you're into building more than operating. Leicester North doesn't really have much more scope than train arrives, runs round, leaves again.

As it's a heritage railway, if you're into operations then I'd suggest you consider modelling a through station which is now operating as a terminus - there's many more of those around than genuine termini, and on a busy day somewhere like Alresford is all action. (As an occasional volunteer on the Epping & Ongar line, North Weald has many busy moments when both trains are loco hauled too, though that's because it's not a terminus).

Good concept. Even the busiest heritage railways seldom run more than 3 sets of carriages.  You can run anything from a L&Y 0-4-0T to a 9F or even Tornado and a GWR Saint in 1905 era livery , maybe even a P2 and a Patriot if you model the future era.

Not sure about the engine shed.  sort of right in the way.   Coupke of rusty sidings filled with rusty partly dismantled locos would set the scene.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 08:37, Zomboid said:

What do you like doing with a model railway? To me it doesn't look as though there's very much in the way of play value - which is fine if you're into building more than operating. Leicester North doesn't really have much more scope than train arrives, runs round, leaves again.

As it's a heritage railway, if you're into operations then I'd suggest you consider modelling a through station which is now operating as a terminus - there's many more of those around than genuine termini, and on a busy day somewhere like Alresford is all action. (As an occasional volunteer on the Epping & Ongar line, North Weald has many busy moments when both trains are loco hauled too, though that's because it's not a terminus).

Hi Zomboid,

Thank you for your thoughts.

For me the main enjoyment is in the planning, building and scenics. Trying out new methods and new products. For example i have only used set track before on the previous layout, so now time to move to streamline and electrofrog points. I am also going to be adding lineside details like point rodding, maybe drainage structures etc. 

The idea for Leicester North being a base for the layout is I have some spare resin buildings which are very suitable in size for a station like Leicester North. Also as the boards are narrow I thought it fit well, but with plenty of room for scenery, which is my biggest thing.

The idea of a once through station that is now used as a terminus is interesting though, and I will look at pics and videos of various prototypes to see if I am inspired.

I am going to be adding touches and details that I have seen at many railways, and I am sure it wont look like the GCR by the time I'm done.

Well if you're inspired by the GCR then Loughborough Central is a place with plenty of action and stuff to build. But if that's too big and you're a builder more than an operator then I'd still say that there are more interesting (operationally) basic stations than Leicester North.  Tunbridge Wells West has quite a bit going for it, with the original shed building there, for example. Or Tenterden Town (operationally easier if you have the trains arriving from the other end to reality...).

Edited by Zomboid

11 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Good concept. Even the busiest heritage railways seldom run more than 3 sets of carriages.  You can run anything from a L&Y 0-4-0T to a 9F or even Tornado and a GWR Saint in 1905 era livery , maybe even a P2 and a Patriot if you model the future era.

Not sure about the engine shed.  sort of right in the way.   Coupke of rusty sidings filled with rusty partly dismantled locos would set the scene.

Thank you for your reply, I agree that the shed looks a bit wrong there, as I imagine it would need more space around it to 'fit' into the surroundings. If i can space the sidings out I will look at a much simpler, smaller covered shed, possibly over just one track, so the poor workers and volunteers can get out of the worst of the weather. Something like corrugated metal. I have seen a company called Railway Laser Lines make a refueling shed kit, and it is not too big. 

I have 2 sidings on the fiddle yard to hold a 4 coach train each, and by using a shunting loco i can fit 4 coaches onto the 3rd siding which is connected to the 'depot' sidings and shunt a 3rd rake there.

I have got 3 rakes of 4 coaches chosen, 2 with buffet cars (a great way for the railway to make money and keep punters happy) which will be the main 2 used rakes, and a rake which includes a kitchen car for dining services etc.

I have mainly diesels, with more steam being added.

The locos I will run (not all on the layout at once of course) are wide in range, but all have some link to locos seen on preservation lines (even if running numbers and liveries are not all exact matches).

Steam includes:

J72

Stanier Mogul

Hall

Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0

3F Jinty

Diesel Includes:

08s

37s