Spotting days mid 80's to early 90's has now been PRIVATISED

I had to look closely at that last photo, but I don't remember owning a stripey shirt as a kid.:D

I can't add any photos myself, but I can remember the nice warm weekends, with freight locos on depot, and the more friendly depot foreman allowing an unofficial visit round the depot.
Toton, was never one of those though, but if you did it right you could 'bunk' 3/4 of the shed without even needing to get out of the car, before you parked up and looked for the shed foreman's office. Occasionally though BTP would be parked at the top of the approach road, and they'd turn you away before you'd got past the cement silos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Coal trains to Fiddlers Ferry, that's something else that doesn't exist anymore. I do wonder how that line is going to justify its existence when FF finally shuts down.

We're going to find out; FF finished generating a couple of weeks ago.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

It was very unusual to see a Speedlink freight with CDA wagons in the consist; I think I’ve only ever seen one other picture of such a train.

I also noticed that.

I'm guessing the explanation is a balance move to get some CDAs up to Marsh Mills and they will be detached at Tavistock Junction, perhaps they have been released from St Blazey after repair or PPM.

cheers

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/04/2020 at 22:49, slg said:

Here are few from Manchester Piccadilly. 

picc 02.png

Ahhh, the good old days when you could regularly see a Class 33 in Manchester. I remember the first time that I saw one when trainspotting at Heaton Norris Junction, it was a real WTF moment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

On 14/04/2020 at 15:52, slg said:

Here are a few holiday shots from Eastleigh .

eastleigh 03.png

eastleigh 04.png

Nice to see the images of 73005. From memory, this was painted at Selhurst Paint Shop during the time I was working at the depot. The fitting of the "Watercress Line" nameplates caused more than a little heartache, mainly when drilling the holes to fix them. There was the "will it or won't it moment with every hole, namely the drill bit's ability to find a pipe or a conduit in the engine room....

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, slg said:

Some from a holiday visit to Salisbury.

salisbury_01.png

Has Fearless got an extra long airpipe, or is it just how the pipes and cables are mixed together ?
If so, I’ve never noticed that in any other pic !

cheers,

Phil.