Hornby SR S15 DCC Issue

Jack P

Hi guys, 

Relatively new to the world of DCC, So i'm not sure why i'm getting this issue. 

Chipped my S15 (Number 1), went to go and run it in:

Very odd, when first run, will run like this for a while, and then eventually runs like this:

You can hear the motor whining slightly.

I've also attached the tender from S15 (number 2) to S15 number 1 and the issue still occurs. The tender from S15 number 1 runs fine with S15 number 2 - I appreciate that's a little confusing. 

S15 (1) Loco and tender - no good

S15 (2) Loco and tender - Good

S15 (1) Loco and S15 (2) tender - no good

S15 (2) Loco and S15 Tender - good

I would then assume this is an issue with the loco - specifically the chassis. What are the next steps needed to try and problem solve further? I am not above simply purchasing a new S15 chassis if that solves the issue the quickest and easiest way. I thought i'd just check here first incase there are any known issues, or if anyone has any suggestions for things I can try first.

Thanks in advance!

I cannot help you but I feel your pain! I have a Hornby Standard which is exactly the same so I look forward to someone coming up with some ideas. I did a full wheel/contact clean and lightly lubed the right places with no improvement.

Sometimes it runs OK - odd! I have a Zimo decoder in mine.

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Jack P said:

I would then assume this is an issue with the loco - specifically the chassis. What are the next steps needed to try and problem solve further?

Clearly there is an electrical problem on loco 1, lack of continuity or a short somewhere. Remove decoder, put in blanking plug, go over the whole circuit connection to connection with a test meter, and once corrected test run it with a DC supply before reinstating the decoder.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Clearly there is an electrical problem on loco 1, lack of continuity or a short somewhere. Remove decoder, put in blanking plug, go over the whole circuit connection to connection with a test meter, and once corrected test run it with a DC supply before reinstating the decoder.

I assumed loco fault, but couldn't be sure. I don't currently have access to a test meter, I need to scrounge around, or wait until after lockdown, but this certainly seems like a sensible thing to check!

You can often find a suitably capable multimeter in Lidl or Aldi for a tenner, or in our area Screwfix and Toolstation are open for click and collect. Try to get one that supports 10A DC for use on motor stall checks. Many meters are 200mA limited.

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...

Hello jack p. 

i love this model but have had similar problems. Three motors, four decoders and I still have a problem.

unfortunately Hornby have fitted a poor motor to this otherwise great loco. There are lots of posts on forums regarding this loco. The general consensus is that the brush material is too soft and breaks down blocking commutators and causing problems as current draw varies one guy measuring a peak of 300ma.

If you really like this loco have a look at Barry Davies Railways on u tube who suggests fitting the motor from a Hornby B1 loco. If not, bin it! No point buying a replacement motor as it is probable that it is from the faulty batch. I knew of the problem before I bought my S15 and telephoned Hornby who informed me that they had  no traceability but the later models ( mine is!) would be fine. yup, really!

Lovely loco but nothing but trouble. Hornby have plenty of stock as do dealers who are heavily discounting. There also loads on EBay so I guess the reputation of this loco is known.

I won’t go into Hornby QC.

my experience is first hand not hearsay. Good luck.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 6 months later...

Help, I have two S15 fitted with Zimo MX649R decoders with YouChoos speakers. The first one I fitted runs without any problems. The second one kangarooed until I removed capacitor C1 on the decoder plug board. I thought great, but I still had problems. The locomotive did not always start there was no sound nothing. I only had to touch the locomotive and it was away, this fault is intermittent sometimes the locomotive stops and still works correctly othertimes it does not. Any help appreciated I have cleaned all the wheels, contact including the pickup to loco two pin connection, cleaned out an abundance of oil [there from Hornby as supplied], tried a different locomotive tender combination and the fault stayed with the original tender and new locomotive combination! I cannot find any trace of a short with a multimeter with decoder removed checking from the 8 pin socket to wheels/body. I have also tried all different setting on the Zimo decoder for CV9, CV56, CV57 and CV58 to no effect. any assisitance gratefully received

• 3 months later...

I have R3411 S15.  Same issues here.  Random motor cutting out with different DCC decoders.  I've added capacitors, but problem stays.  I've tested rewiring.  Problem has persisted.  I've noticed motor getting warm, so likely internal issue.  Interestingly, motor will still run with power directly applied to the motor feeds.  I might try one more replacement motor. . If that fails....it might go on a popular auction site.  Chuff 34006, have you tried CV145 alterations, just in case that helps?  I doubt it will, but when I have time, I might try that.