Kemilway/Peter K now definct?

Edwardian

I had successfully ordered some Peter K products from the Kemilway website in the last 2-3 years, IIRC, 2018.  

Now, however, the website appears defunct.

Has anyone any information on this business please?

It would be a shame if that were so.  I only bought a few things - station stuff like benches and lamp.

Their Gresley coach kit instructions were on line and I found these incredibly useful when detailing my Kirk Gresley coaches.

John

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Wagon nut said:

Still looks like a live site to me - some 'spring bargains' in there too on the Peter K etches. It says the site is copyright 2020, which is encouraging? Going to try and contact Peter Dawson....

Those "Spring Bargains" have been there for about ten years....

Oops. I didn't notice Bucoops post.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I rang the phone number on the website a few years ago to see if I could purchase the discounted "sale price" GCR vans. I was astonished to be told that I had to pay the full amount up front and that the order wouldn't be sent off to the etchers until here were enough ordered to make it worth while. I had a little look around the web and found various stories of people paying and then waiting for years, so I decided not to!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks for all your replies - not surprisingly no reply from my email yet.... I did buy a bargain 6w GNSR horse box etch years ago which arrived promptly (possibly 10 yrs ago - guess what not made yet..but I do so like a 'bargain') and the bargain list has at least changed since then...may phone next week for a laugh:wacko:

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I note that the website is still up and functioning. A friend of mine is building an O Gauge GER layout and some of the etchings for canopies etc. would be ideal. Does anybody have any recent experience of ordering and obtaining anything?

Last time, as I mentioned above, it was "Pay up front and I will get some etches when I get enough orders" but we don't want to play that game.

I suppose it is worth a phone call but it would be good to hear if anybody has actually had anything supplied.

15 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Last time, as I mentioned above, it was "Pay up front and I will get some etches when I get enough orders" but we don't want to play that game.

No you don't! I have ten Kemilway 7mm coach kits stashed but it was  a continual struggle to get all the bits sent through in stages and many many phone calls - and this was at least fifteen years ago. I can only imagine how it is now. But it is not only Kemilway. Kit suppliers just don't seen to carry stock now.

As a trader myself our stock levels are linked to our web site and we can't take orders for what we do not physically have on the shelf. Only that way can you hope to turn around orders very quickly.

• Thanks 1

Two years for a 4mm LNER TPO etch to arrive, all emails ignored in that period.. When it finally turned up it was total rubbish, and sold on. I did'nt even bother to try and return for a refund .

My one and only order = no chance ever again !!.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2021 at 13:43, micklner said:

Two years for a 4mm LNER TPO etch to arrive, all emails ignored in that period.. When it finally turned up it was total rubbish, and sold on. I did'nt even bother to try and return for a refund .

My one and only order = no chance ever again !!.

I'm still waiting for an answer to my email of 2 (?) years ago - or rather, I'm not waiting as I've written him off as a dead loss, which your post confirms, Mick. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I noticed that the Kemilway website disappeared earlier this year but then reappeared, so I enquired.

I have just had an email from "Peter Dawson", in which his daughter, Sarah, says he is no longer trading. I have asked for a form of words for an entry in the "defunct, dormant and demised" category.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

@AY Mod Kemilway/Peter K kits have ceased trading. Are you able to add them under the "defunct, dormant or demised category"?

Peter Dawson's daughter  has told me that although the website which disappeared earlier this year has returned, this is only due to unilateral action by the hosting company; and it will be disappearing again.  Modellers should be aware that there won't be any service from it.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 31/07/2023 at 12:35, Bucoops said:

Shame. Hopefully someone can take on the range.

It may be hard as there are so many etched sheets in the kits that are on ultra-thick material, and thus very expensive now, [with the demise of Photo Etch Consultants], that I fear the end-user price may well be beyond what most customers might be prepared to pay, and for the manufacturer to make a profit. I'm pleased I have ten of the O gauge Kemilway coaches in my stash, but getting all the parts was a long and arduous business!

It is sad, as the Kemilway originator George Pring was something of a pioneer in the early years of etched kits, as I'm sure many of you will know. Just another sign of the times in the hobby.

Fortunately, our purchase of the Cavalier Coaches range from the ABS stable, will enable us to carry on with something comparable.

David Parkins

MMP/ABS 7mm Wagons/Cavalier Coaches/Classic Commercials/Wrightlines - Blah de Blah!

www.davidjparkins.com

Edited by djparkins
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1