Progress has been slow on the layout recently, blame the summer weather and other hobbies. 

I've made some time to add some ground cover towards the back of the depot before placing a crew room building later on in the week. A sky back scene printed on to 3mm foam board has also been added which I think looks a lot better than the plain blue I had before. 

Looking forward to adding the smaller details going forward. 

20200808_185318.jpg

20200808_185334.jpg

• Like 7

I've decided to open up the other line into the scenic section to create more operational interest and to make yard operations a little more prototypical. I had realised that in order to access the lower lines, the loco would have to draw into the repair shed which was going to prove frustrating and not very realistic. 

I'm going to have to modify the bridge slightly to accommodate it all, but should be fine. 

20200809_190312.jpg

20200809_190320.jpg

• Like 3

Having opened up the other scenic break into the fiddle yard, I've also been able to add a couple more storage roads which will assist with operations. 

In the scenic section itself I've added a crew mess room and put some ground cover in to separate the different areas.

Going forward I'll continue to add the smaller details and bring the scene to life. 

Any comments are always welcome :)

20200812_220839.jpg

20200812_220851.jpg

20200812_220859.jpg

• Like 3

Just an observation :)

On the point in front of the building is the bottom part of the track connected properly?

Looks like the straight track isn't in the fishplate before the point correctly, not on about the gap but it looks like there is a "step" there.

Might just be an illusion cause of the gap ;)

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, smallman28 said:

Just an observation :)

On the point in front of the building is the bottom part of the track connected properly?

Looks like the straight track isn't in the fishplate before the point correctly, not on about the gap but it looks like there is a "step" there.

Might just be an illusion cause of the gap ;)

Thanks for spotting that - the rail is in the fish plate and no step fortunately - I've just left a bit of an expansion gap to account for the heat in the shed..

Edited by Chris56057
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've started to add some smaller details to the buildings that make up the low relief back scene. Most of thse are from Scale Model Scenery. 

In addition, I have been working on tidying up the control panel and getting this fully functional. 

20201206_162606.jpg

• Agree 1

37517 getting some front end detailing treatment. This was originally a Bachmann model of 37710, however I've renumbered it to 517 after finding some photos on Flickr of the loco on RHTT services around the Midlands and the East. Numbers are from Fox Transfers and as you can see these were fitted in an unusual place which matches the prototype.

I generally use guitar wire for my vac and air pipes these days, having used Craftsman and Shawplan products in the past. They're not 100% correct, but withstand the handling of the models between the workbench and the layout itself. This model is fitted with a V4 Legomanbiffo sound decoder and is an interesting model to operate on the layout. Further updates to come on this particular loco.

received_725276221398686.jpeg

received_298213198109475.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2020 at 09:52, Chris56057 said:

37517 getting some front end detailing treatment. This was originally a Bachmann model of 37710, however I've renumbered it to 517 after finding some photos on Flickr of the loco on RHTT services around the Midlands and the East. Numbers are from Fox Transfers and as you can see these were fitted in an unusual place which matches the prototype.

I generally use guitar wire for my vac and air pipes these days, having used Craftsman and Shawplan products in the past. They're not 100% correct, but withstand the handling of the models between the workbench and the layout itself. This model is fitted with a V4 Legomanbiffo sound decoder and is an interesting model to operate on the layout. Further updates to come on this particular loco.

received_725276221398686.jpeg

received_298213198109475.jpeg

Very nice work here Chris