Loco won't stop running

70E

Yesterday I decided to run a Hornby sentinel on a small layout, because the loco hadn't been used in a while it was a bit hesitant. kept stopping and starting etc using a Z21 control, so after cleaning the wheels etc I put it on the large oval layout to give it a bit of a run-in using Lenz 100. Placing it on the track it made the noise when there is a short or something, anyway whatever caused that after checking the wheels was resolved, the loco then started to work, however,  it became apparent there wasn't any control over its speed to slow it to a stop so it keeps running at a constant speed and won't stop. I have tried the emergency stop, I have put it on the programme track and it still keeps running, so I can't read CV's or programme anything.

I've read about DC mode sometimes causes issues  but if I can't stop the motor running is there anything else I can do. It's only a Hornby 4 pin decoder so not expensive to replace if that is the only answer?

Mark

I have the Z21 app on an iPad but even if I unplug the decoder and back I. again it still keeps running, so Im guessing the decoder has retained the command to power the motor somehow.

On 13/04/2020 at 09:39, 70E said:

Yesterday I decided to run a Hornby sentinel on a small layout, because the loco hadn't been used in a while it was a bit hesitant. kept stopping and starting etc using a Z21 control, so after cleaning the wheels etc I put it on the large oval layout to give it a bit of a run-in using Lenz 100. Placing it on the track it made the noise when there is a short or something, anyway whatever caused that after checking the wheels was resolved, the loco then started to work, however,  it became apparent there wasn't any control over its speed to slow it to a stop so it keeps running at a constant speed and won't stop. I have tried the emergency stop, I have put it on the programme track and it still keeps running, so I can't read CV's or programme anything.

I've read about DC mode sometimes causes issues  but if I can't stop the motor running is there anything else I can do. It's only a Hornby 4 pin decoder so not expensive to replace if that is the only answer?

Mark

Check its on the correct address.

• Agree 1