Class 156 - Full power or Nothing

Wedge

I am finally getting into the world of DCC and have the Hornby Railmaster set up, managed two trains and they are running fairly well.

I then unboxed my Class 156 Realtrack ScotRail and very exited have tried to set it up. First attempt didn’t work, it had 2 settings full speed or nothing and Realtrack advised me to reset to factory settings via CV8 which I did, when this didn’t work they advised me to ask on here.

The train does move, but no matter what speed I select it goes full pelt around my wee test track or is off, no in between. Some of the lighting functions work but the sound doesn’t at all. Can anyone help? It’s probably my biggest investment for my Railway and I am just in the planning stages of a proper DCC layout but this has really put me off :(

1 hour ago, Wedge said:

I am finally getting into the world of DCC and have the Hornby Railmaster set up, managed two trains and they are running fairly well.

I then unboxed my Class 156 Realtrack ScotRail and very exited have tried to set it up. First attempt didn’t work, it had 2 settings full speed or nothing and Realtrack advised me to reset to factory settings via CV8 which I did, when this didn’t work they advised me to ask on here.

The train does move, but no matter what speed I select it goes full pelt around my wee test track or is off, no in between. Some of the lighting functions work but the sound doesn’t at all. Can anyone help? It’s probably my biggest investment for my Railway and I am just in the planning stages of a proper DCC layout but this has really put me off :(

The two trains you have got working, what decoders are in them or what locos are they.

The Realtrack Class 156 has 'Two' decoders not 'One' so any programming has to be done with the Units seperated, one at a time. Not Together'

Also I have put this thread on the correct section of this forum, as it sound like a Railmaster Issue, so its on the Hornby Thread.

Charlie

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

The two trains you have got working, what decoders are in them or what locos are they.

The Realtrack Class 156 has 'Two' decoders not 'One' so any programming has to be done with the Units seperated, one at a time. Not Together'

Also I have put this thread on the correct section of this forum, as it sound like a Railmaster Issue, so its on the Hornby Thread.

Charlie

Thanks for getting in touch and moving it to the right place!

I have the standard 0-6-0 from the Hornby western master and then a Dapol Class 68 (same decoder as the Class 68)

The two decoders are Loksound 4 decoders in the DMU. Yeh I put them on separately and haven’t changed any settings on it yet.

The two Class 156 cars can be operated on their own, so with only one on the track, do you get the same problem?  If so, does the second car, also operated on its own, also behave the same way?

I'm tempted to say that it sounds like it may be a Railmaster issue.  There is a review on the Hornby website for your set - https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/western-master-digital-train-set-with-elink-1.html which says "Engine is a bit more basic, runs poorly over my Hornby points and has 2 speeds only, (really slow and really fast)!"  It sounds as though you are experiencing something similar with your Class 156.

18 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

The two Class 156 cars can be operated on their own, so with only one on the track, do you get the same problem?  If so, does the second car, also operated on its own, also behave the same way?

I'm tempted to say that it sounds like it may be a Railmaster issue.  There is a review on the Hornby website for your set - https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/western-master-digital-train-set-with-elink-1.html which says "Engine is a bit more basic, runs poorly over my Hornby points and has 2 speeds only, (really slow and really fast)!"  It sounds as though you are experiencing something similar with your Class 156.

Thanks for your help, I have tested each car of the DMU independently and it’s acting the same. Both only run at full speed even when shunt is selected. Some lights work and no sound.

yeh funnily the 0-6-0 runs perfectly, the 68 also runs well at variable speeds with sound and lights working well.

From the other thread:

Try disabling DC operation in the decoder with CV29.

i.e. set CV29=2

Have a look here for a CV29 calculator http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29 calculator.htm

...............................................................................................................................................................

Have a look at the Hornby website for the forum. You will need to sign in to the Hornby website.

There is a section relevant to the Elink/Railmaster am sure your will find your answer there if not somebody will direct you in the right direction.

Don't be put off by your problems all new to DCC have had some at some point.

• Thanks 1

Another reply from the Hornby Page.

Ensure you have got DC running turned off in CV29. Sounds like DC runaway to me.

Also on the RM speed slider is it showing 128 speed steps or MPH. If showing 1 them delete and relist the loco.

Edit - to get the sound to work you list it in loco setup ensuring any toggled sounds are suffixed on/off e.g Sound on/off. Momentary sounds do not need the suffix. Generally if you list the loco by its R-number and sound is factory fitted it will list these automatically for you. If aftermarket sound is fitted then list as described earlier.

11 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Another reply from the Hornby Page.

Ensure you have got DC running turned off in CV29. Sounds like DC runaway to me.

Also on the RM speed slider is it showing 128 speed steps or MPH. If showing 1 them delete and relist the loco.

Edit - to get the sound to work you list it in loco setup ensuring any toggled sounds are suffixed on/off e.g Sound on/off. Momentary sounds do not need the suffix. Generally if you list the loco by its R-number and sound is factory fitted it will list these automatically for you. If aftermarket sound is fitted then list as described earlier.

Do you have a link to the bit of the Hornby forum? I’ve signed up.

I tried CV29 to no avail, the instructions suggest CV29 should be 7 and 14 respectively to get each coach running in the correct direction.

The RM speed slider first time I uploaded it did just have 1 but is now showing the full 128mph once I had deleted and reset.

Again excuse the fact I am starting, is the R number based on the number on the box? Would i just add that into the search function for the name of the loco?

13 minutes ago, Wedge said:

I tried CV29 to no avail, the instructions suggest CV29 should be 7 and 14 respectively to get each coach running in the correct direction.

I would have expected them to be 1 digit apart but 14 has enabled Railcom (A protocol which allows the train to talk back to the command station), which should be ok. I can understand why you would want only 1 carriage to do this.

I have done the calculations & DC running is enabled on those.

To disable it, subtract 4 from each to give you 3 & 10.

If you want to understand CV29 further, you can always google "CV29 calculator".

You don't need to understand it. Most systems will allow you to change certain settings through a menu.

4 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I would have expected them to be 1 digit apart but 14 has enabled Railcom (A protocol which allows the train to talk back to the command station), which should be ok. I can understand why you would want only 1 carriage to do this.

I have done the calculations & DC running is enabled on those.

To disable it, subtract 4 from each to give you 3 & 10.

If you want to understand CV29 further, you can always google "CV29 calculator".

You don't need to understand it. Most systems will allow you to change certain settings through a menu.

I’ve had a go at that but again same position, the trains are accelerating but I have no control over how much, they head straight up to full power no matter what I choose. I’ve still got no sound either :( 

4 hours ago, Wedge said:

I’ve had a go at that but again same position, the trains are accelerating but I have no control over how much, they head straight up to full power no matter what I choose. I’ve still got no sound either :( 

Have you tried running them on DC Only to see if they are controlable and if F1 is on , if they have sound.

Charlie

33 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

Have you tried running them on DC Only to see if they are controlable and if F1 is on , if they have sound.

Charlie

Not tried DC only, in the CVs the sound is off when I try and change them to the recommended (by railmaster) settings and write them to the decoder it isn’t letting me and keeps them all back at 000. 

Suggests something is off somewhere that won’t let me put them on. May be something similar for the speed controls maybe?

49 minutes ago, Wedge said:

Not tried DC only, in the CVs the sound is off when I try and change them to the recommended (by railmaster) settings and write them to the decoder it isn’t letting me and keeps them all back at 000. 

Suggests something is off somewhere that won’t let me put them on. May be something similar for the speed controls maybe?

Please !   Try it on DC as I suggested.   Charlie

• Agree 1

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, Wedge said:

Always try on DC if you have a running problem, that will determine whether the problem is with the motor or the decoder

14 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Please !   Try it on DC as I suggested.   Charlie

I have tried it on my DC layout, it won’t run but my DC trains will. The 156 doesn’t react at all to any amount of power applied.

Is there a way to test it through Railmaster as DC? If so I don’t know it yet.

Hi Wedge,

If you have already altered the CV settings as a few posts above then the unit won’t run on DC if that’s been disabled. If you reset to factory settings CV8 first then try it on your DC circuit it should run then. 

Hope that helps

Mark

3 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Wedge,

If you have already altered the CV settings as a few posts above then the unit won’t run on DC if that’s been disabled. If you reset to factory settings CV8 first then try it on your DC circuit it should run then. 

Hope that helps

Mark

Given that a go and still no running on the DC and saw situation on the DCC prior.

7 hours ago, charliepetty said:

OK..Does it still run on Railmaster, as it did when this thread started,if it does I suggets the unit be tested on another DCC system, reset the address to 3, one car at a time, then come back.

I’m afraid I don’t have another DCC system just the one and yeh the only improvement since the start of this thread is the control says 128mph rather than just 1mph.

Thanks for everyone’s help so far, hopefully someone finds the magic touch. Tested a DC train (intended to be DCC one day) and the lighting on that isn’t working either, just my luck! 

• 5 months later...
On 16/04/2020 at 02:10, Wedge said:

I’m afraid I don’t have another DCC system just the one and yeh the only improvement since the start of this thread is the control says 128mph rather than just 1mph.

Thanks for everyone’s help so far, hopefully someone finds the magic touch. Tested a DC train (intended to be DCC one day) and the lighting on that isn’t working either, just my luck! 

Did you ever sort this out!  Charlie