Will we lose shops and how badly?

ianmacc

On 12/07/2020 at 15:43, ruggedpeak said:

If you are East London then there is Roneo Models https://www.facebook.com/Roneo-Models-1752368765006984/?_fb_noscript=1  Never been there but was on a pre-COVID train trip list to visit. Essex is blessed with a number of model shops, despite losing Mankim Models in Colchester.

Although it's not far from me, I've only visited Roneo Models once.  Parking nearby is an issue, there is a large Tesco and B&Q, but they enforce restrictions on parking with number plate recognition, basically you get a bill if you park and don't visit their stores.  By the way, if you are arriving in Romford on the train, Roneo Models is walkable, but there are buses.

It's a personal opinion, but it doesn't seem the most welcoming shop I've visited, though I understand they have suffered break-ins in the past.

As my modelling interests stray outside railways, I have to say that there are virtually no "non railway" model shops left in Essex, Laurence Mathews, in Queen's Road off the High Street is the only one that comes to mind.

jch

1 hour ago, jchinuk said:

Although it's not far from me, I've only visited Roneo Models once.  Parking nearby is an issue, there is a large Tesco and B&Q, but they enforce restrictions on parking with number plate recognition, basically you get a bill if you park and don't visit their stores.  By the way, if you are arriving in Romford on the train, Roneo Models is walkable, but there are buses.

It's a personal opinion, but it doesn't seem the most welcoming shop I've visited, though I understand they have suffered break-ins in the past.

As my modelling interests stray outside railways, I have to say that there are virtually no "non railway" model shops left in Essex, Laurence Mathews, in Queen's Road off the High Street is the only one that comes to mind.

jch

I went to Roneo Models to buy some Peco points about 5 years ago. "Sorry we havent got any , we can order them in a couple of weeks" 

Shop was tatty and dusty, I took one quick  look around and left and ordered mail order, and recieved in less than a week. Hardly anything in there and all at full prices. I havent been back.  I am very surprised it is still open. ( I pass the shop quite often).

It is a least 2 miles from Romford BR Station.

I have never had a problem parking in the Tescos/B&Q oppositte personally. Never seen any cameras or warning signs in either car park.  How would they know if you have bought anything.

• Agree 1