Melville Street signal box

lash

• RMweb Premium

I acquired this old Hornby box about 18 months ago at the Isle of Wight show for a couple of quid . I liked the post war look ( LMS/ early BR?)  and it’s toylike low profile which would suit a crowded narrow baseboard well and could be easily disguised .

I dismantled it washed and primed it and the mouldings look pretty good so this week I’ll have a go at making it presentable and finding an excuse for a Southern Region paint scheme.

91DE4185-9D18-459F-936D-CEB229F6319B.jpeg.16e9a562a693cae688ae3530ccb06039.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A few base coats on . Concrete for the brick work wiped off so mainly stays in the mortar joints , a nondescript grey for the roof and cream for wood cladding . A lot more to do but drying and hardening for the moment. 

Brickwork is next 

960085CA-B14E-4E79-8FD2-2D3D63F9A48A.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Brickwork done with rubbing red brown and a blue coloured pencils over the concrete base coat with a bit of judicious rubbing and smudging . 

Quite pleased with progress . Think I’ll leave things there . Paint is acrylic but I’d still like to leave it a while before next coats.

34D61100-24BD-4234-9509-089A22305E14.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Final coats of paint and a lot of tidying round the edges to be done . I’m letting it all dry out until tomorrow. 

closeups are very cruel but work to be done

D7358E5F-D55E-4FC5-8DD7-0FA72F230E93.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bit of tidying and touching up last night and then couldn’t leave it and did a bit more when last coat wasn’t dry. Didn’t quite ######### the whole thing but I’ll wait a while now and do some rubbing down with those brilliant little modellers  sanding sticks.

No pic today of lack of progress but here’s a screen shot of a similar box from eBay as a bit of before and after.

294CB482-8696-4258-BA7B-A96CF5CCA8C7.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Ok touching up done and I’m leaving it now . Close ups with digital cameras as cruel as ever but from a regular layout viewing distance it looks great . 

When I can lay my hands on suitable materials the box needs handrails for the stairs and glazing. Might possibly go for some very light sooty weathering but this a modern box and  won’t have been subject to a century of grime.

its been a fun week with this and if I can anyone can. 

Keep safe and happy modelling .

F9213364-C18B-4DC2-AF94-83201E198C65.jpeg

2E03782B-3589-4E42-8294-E45DD45120BB.jpeg

D0037A37-7302-4F6F-880A-3490C5685E4F.jpeg

CC5C9301-B63E-4FB4-824F-7D4F3C290EEC.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Nice work!!!  Just goes to show how a little work can turn something that was basically a toy into something much more realistic.  

Hmmm.....now I'm thinking about having a rummage through some of my old 'train set' buildings etc. and seeing what I can have a crack at...

I'm looking forwards to seeing how this progresses, so please keep the pictures coming!!!

Mark.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/06/2020 at 12:27, Blackthorn said:

Nice work!!!  Just goes to show how a little work can turn something that was basically a toy into something much more realistic.  

Hmmm.....now I'm thinking about having a rummage through some of my old 'train set' buildings etc. and seeing what I can have a crack at...

I'm looking forwards to seeing how this progresses, so please keep the pictures coming!!!

Mark.

Mark many thanks and yes rummage and give it a go ,  cheap cheerful and fun modelling . I’m hoping my local model shop is or will be opening soon so glazing and handrails soon I hope.