Zimo MX617N and plug

Ruston

Afternoon, all,

The only decoders I have had up until now have been Zimo sound decoders, which, apart from sound, have what I would call driving features. For example the F2 button is used to apply the brakes.

Do non-sound Zimo decoders have this, or do locos run in the same way as DC in that you turn the throttle down and they stop?

Also, is the MX617N capable of taking a stay-alive? It doesn't mention it here https://www.digitrains.co.uk/mx617n-6pin-direct-13x9x2-6mm.html

I'll be fitting this into a kit-built loco, so there is no plug to slot the decoder into and soldering wires to the pins isn't something I want to attempt. Are the plugs/wiring harnesses that these things plug into available as items on their own and if they are, from where can I obtain one?

Current Zimo decoders can be programmed with the braking feature, as used by some sound projects.

The MX617 can take a stay-alive, but its soldering wires to the decoder.  There are relatively large pads for doing this, and instruction in the long manual (the "small decoder manual") available from Zimo's website.   

There is no charge management for the stay-alive, so you'll need a charging resistor, discharge diode, ideally a voltage management device (minimum of a Zener diode).  John Gymer at YouChoos has probably the best information and component selection for small space stay-alives for Zimo from a commercial source at the moment - if you have space, use either the Zimo SACC16 device or John Gymer's equivalent for voltage management, if lacking space then there are ways of doing it in an incredibly small amount of space (3mm cube or thereabouts). 

The MX617 is available in a wires version, for the same £20 as the six-pin.  Coastal DCC and John Gymer (YouChoos) have it.  It sounds like you don't want the six-pin for your setup (it adds size, and doesn't carry the stay-alive wires), though if you want the six pin socket is available as an item. 

Nigel

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

The Stay Alive pack I fitted to the MX648 in your Ruston 48DS models has the charge management and voltage regulation componets already included, so just need connecting to the decoder.

I've got an MX617 to which I can attach a similar Stay Alive before despatch if you have space and that's the way you wish to proceed.

Please email me to discuss options, including loading CVs for manual braking etc.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Read the decoder manual (on Zimo's website).   If you have a circuit with charge/discharge components inside it, then yes, it is the decoder positive and decoder negative pads.   If you just have a capacitor, then you need the charge/discharge components as well.