Norton Rd - what have I got wrong

• RMweb Gold

I also posted this in my layout thread and have knocked up a powerpoint of how I think the signals should be from what I have read so far but I stand to be corrected. Key question whether I have understood how to control the loop correctly with the ground signals and the signal at the left edge of the layout? As the sidings will be on manual levers there will be no signals there. Apologies for my awful representation of ground signals.

1328846337_NortonRdSignalling.jpg.71802f6970fe842342309edac0490271.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Could you explain a bit further about how you see the layout working and the era and area you have chosen for the signalling.  as it stand the left hand end of the loop lacks a trap point and I'm not sure how long you envisage the spur to be at the right hand end?  Do you envisage/require a passenger train to be held in the platform while something enters or leaves from the loop? 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Could you explain a bit further about how you see the layout working and the era and area you have chosen for the signalling

As Homer Simpson would say - Doh!! I thought it would be so simple to copy from the main layout thread but obviously all the context is there in other posts. Must try harder.

The plan is based on Oldshaw which I have seen at multiple shows over the years and is operating in the early/mid eighties. Oldshaw has semaphore signalling but as the layout may time travel to run current day as well I am going colour light. The available space between the point to the sidings and the spur at the right hand end is long enough to allow wagons to reversed into / collected from the 2 sidings and the idea is they serve a couple of industries at either end of the layout which are off scene. 

Norton Rd is the 2nd station on the layout as on the other side of the shed is a Minories terminus called Dinfield, so passenger services run from Dinfield, through Norton Rd to their own fiddle yard sidings, whilst the freight is all held in loops which sit behind the terminus. The main thread is here

So I see 3 main movements apart from shunting in and out of the siding.

- Simple passenger through the station.

- Freight held in the loop whilst a passenger comes through in the opposite direction.

- Freight has picked up some wagons and leaves to set off - that could be in either direction obviously.

Thanks