Siddals Road Quay - Back to the Scalescenes Warehouse low relief style!

On 21/01/2021 at 06:29, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

The line running off the middle of the loop line goes into your fiddle yard.

And like an idiot, that was the bit I didn't read properly! Absolutely, of course, that works brilliantly and if I had read your comment properly I would have realised what you meant...

I think both Ralf and myself are building on very narrow boards, though, which makes that idea a bit tricky to pull off. I think I could just fit a loco and five wagons on my layout Castlebrook Sidings, if I shifted the point to the far end of the loop from the head shunt rather than the middle of the loop, but there would be no room to hide the fiddle track plus I would need to add an extension to get the full train onto the (now shortened) rear siding. Just to be different I may have a good old ponder on that idea and see if I can pull it off! (Would make the while whole layout just over three feet long!)

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Bl@@dy typo! Grrr!

• RMweb Gold
On 21/01/2021 at 02:14, SteveyDee68 said:

So apologies on two counts - (1) for misremembering and commenting without checking back and (2) for thinking you wouldn't have noticed this yourself!

Don't be daft Steve it's nice to have replies! 

On 21/01/2021 at 06:29, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Can I lob a spanner in the works Ralf. How about something like this, based on the Piano line, which featured in the Railway Modeller in the early 60s.

You can indeed, the more the merrier... The layout will be based at home and operated from the front, although with my new found width (from narrowing the loop etc) there may be room for a cassette / traverser or some other magical jiggery pokery inside the factory... I don't think I fancy an invisible fiddle yard from the operating position, but your suggestions saves length and only adds a smidge of width... 

(Note to self - that siding does go inside doesn't it? - No it doesn't - maybe it should... ) 

Thanks 
Ralf

Edited by Ralf
Read further replies now!

• RMweb Gold

Little to report but there's two more sets of points glued down etc and work is about to commence on the loop, rails held approx in place at the ends to form the curve while I start construction from the middle working either way out, I can then fettle and organise the ends as I get closer... 

Cheers

Ralf

883987599_IMG_2736copy.jpg.d9fea1a1bbeed2b518eac6b0fe0b8b48.jpg

1005065396_IMG_2735copy.jpg.5987201e76aa3b7767cc8a324122e3d8.jpg

• Like 6

Looking good! Glad to see, too, that I am not the only one who finds an open wagon a handy container for bits and bobs! 

Mind you, when you forget it is there and move your baseboard and are just in time to catch said wagon from nosediving to the floor but not to save the contents, you do wonder if it was such a good idea...

Don't ask! :mocking_mini:

Steve S

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

So here's the progress, most of the track now glued down except the siding where the ruler is!

Have re-used the Scotchlock connectors from before and soldered the new feeds to the old ones - insulating tape required at some stage....  More Scotchlock connectors on order to connect the point motors and their feeds. Then some testing will follow, which we all know is a euphemism for playing trains...

Best work out connecting the "fiddle yard" cassettes hadn't I! As I think I'm using the 400mm long SMS thingy - https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/bb019-single-track-photo-plank--fiddle-yard--dcc-programming-track-baseboard-400mm-x-100mm-9183-p.asp Which will somehow clip on and off quickly and easily to allow seamless swapping of stuff on the cassette... 

Cheers

Ralf

IMG_2792.jpg.84b1c9080b321915cd2240729ad0184a.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg.16cae3ae3a3593b93e845907bbe5dfea.jpg

Edited by Ralf
More text!
  • Like 3

Looking good, Ralf! Can't wait for you to say that all is wired up and running well.

On a note of caution, in reading about one of the various micro layouts I follow (aka steal ideas from!) I am sure somebody has mentioned that the Scale Model Scenery photo-plank baseboard is not quite as deep as their 'proper' baseboards. Can't remember if they said they put a layer of card on the bottom edge to bring the two boards level. If you are using cassettes, perhaps that slight difference makes the rails the right height given the base thickness of a cassette?

If I remember which thread it was on, I'll point you at it!

Steve S

UPDATE

Just checked their website, where it states that it will fasten to BB018 'Layout In A Box' baseboard as both have 40mm depth. Perhaps it was another of their baseboards, or an older version (since changed in spec) that the other thread referred to? In other words, you should be fine... once they have some stock again (the website says out of stock!)

Edited by SteveyDee68
Removing foot from mouth!

10 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Looking good, Ralf! Can't wait for you to say that all is wired up and running well.

On a note of caution, in reading about one of the various micro layouts I follow (aka steal ideas from!) I am sure somebody has mentioned that the Scale Model Scenery photo-plank baseboard is not quite as deep as their 'proper' baseboards. Can't remember if they said they put a layer of card on the bottom edge to bring the two boards level. If you are using cassettes, perhaps that slight difference makes the rails the right height given the base thickness of a cassette?

If I remember which thread it was on, I'll point you at it!

Steve S

UPDATE

Just checked their website, where it states that it will fasten to BB018 'Layout In A Box' baseboard as both have 40mm depth. Perhaps it was another of their baseboards, or an older version (since changed in spec) that the other thread referred to? In other words, you should be fine... once they have some stock again (the website says out of stock!)

Its the BB017, that is 50mm deep, its the one you are using Ralph 

Its the one that goes into the Christmas Tree Box

Edited by steve45
additional information

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, steve45 said:

Actually I don't know what I'm using - but it's the one in my drawer! It seems to be 45mm deep but with a clamp attaches very well to the main layout. Thinking now maybe use the 5mm for some ply/mdf/??? & aluminium angle to build cassettes and leave the extension semi permanently attached as I don't think the layout will every go into a box! 

IMG_2825.jpg.f5deac9b88d89996c7729eb2e61d6735.jpg

941910359_IMG_2827copy.jpg.9f259e943d9d5a65c7b8994fee099a6a.jpg

The Scalescenes box-file kit didn't line up with the track plan so the wall and doors have been detached, this positioning doesn't allow wagons through the doors but is almost right for the door to be a tri-fold door which wouldn't cover the rails - or do I model it doors open and get an extra inch in my siding? 

IMG_2828.jpg.c6b230ec245998433a1f119a8f31806f.jpg

Thought I'd tidy up the layout and the bench today partly because I couldn't find anything and partly as track laying has stalled awaiting parts... The plan is to build the Scalescenes factory 2 sections long and ½ section deep - so I can run the siding into the warehouse. Badly mocked up below... If I can muster up the skills I'll build 3 sections length of warehouse with the third section featuring a columned front to allow the siding to slew in under the rest of the structure... - I shall be watching @SteveyDee68 progress VERY closely... That tiny bit of track and the ruler are representing where the siding may lie (approx) - it's planned to build the warehouse first and adjust the siding to fit... 

IMG_2835.jpg.9a9d7b1e2d82b2e989ccf295576ed148.jpg

Here's the work bench, nice and tidy with tomorrows project - getting some paint on this van. Somehow I'm fine with a saw and glue but painting anything frightens the daylights out of me... 

IMG_2839.jpg.b332d075ea366a06715db361be343491.jpg

Cheers for the feedback and thoughts folks, please do react or say something it's ever-so encouraging! 

Ralf

• Like 6

12 hours ago, steve45 said:

Its the one that goes into the Christmas Tree Box

Your main board is BB017 which is 50 mm to top surface, your fiddle yard is BB019 which is 44 mm to top surface.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, steve45 said:

Your main board is BB017 which is 50 mm to top surface, your fiddle yard is BB019 which is 44 mm to top surface.

Thanks Steve! I'm glad someone knows, I think the plan will involve dowels to ensure alignment but the fiddle yard will be low to allow the cassettes to sit on top...

Cheers
Ralf

1 hour ago, Ralf said:

If I can muster up the skills I'll build 3 sections length of warehouse with the third section featuring a columned front to allow the siding to slew in under the rest of the structure... - I shall be watching @SteveyDee68 progress VERY closely..

Oh boy, no pressure then! :D

If it is of any help or reassurance, I used the Scalescenes warehouse to gauge the necessary height for the first floor to clear vans underneath, so adapting the warehouse itself shouldn't be too difficult?

Steve S

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well the Scalescenes warehouse has been extracted from it's box and work has recommenced - trying to make it 3 sections long x ½ section deep, so a whole kit should suffice with bits left over - isn't there always with DIY! Think I'm right saying there's 2 joist joiners per joist one either side but not on the underside? 

Audio amusement from John Cougar Mellencamp this evening so the session was 4 sides of vinyl long! 

Cheers
Ralf

So what's all this? Not helped that I've got duplicates of some sheets and some of the card has things on two sides!!

Floor, roofs and joists (and joiners) all ready to glue - halved to make a half depth low relief factory!

Tonights audio relief!

• Like 3

• Ralf changed the title to Siddals Road Quay - Back to the Scalescenes Warehouse low relief style!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Crickey me this Scalescenes warehouse is taking me an eternity to build, I love the part that I can re-print, re-place and re-do things unlike with a plastic kit but the time involved is HUGE. Maybe I only get a hour most days but there's seemingly very little to report. More soon hopefully... 

1743617830_IMG_3215copy.jpg.3517fe2c04cee3a30ee311e9e3eccb33.jpg

• Like 2

Looking back at your earlier photo and your idea of slewing the siding underneath a section of the upper warehouse supported by columns, a thought has occured to me...

IMG_1667.JPG

You are building the warehouse in half relief, which means that the interior (against the backscene board) isn't seen. That works no problem until you have the open section on columns - you need to factor in a wall at the back against the backscene otherwise the illusion of the rest of the half relief building is lost (as you will see the backscene).

I've modelled the warehouse against the backscene at the back of the columned section of my building, all the way down to the ground (as per Ipswich) so that it creates illusion that a substantial building exists at the rear. (In fact, due to recent changes, I can now give slightly more depth to what was previously going to be simply a 5mm foamboard based facade!) 

IMG_1521.JPG

You can just about see that in the above photo.

If your warehouse has a bay 'cut away' at ground floor level to allow the track to slew across and into the next two bays, I think you need to 'fill in' the ground floor wall at the rear of the first bay.

I hope I am making some kind of sense - I can 'see' what I am thinking but struggling to describe it in words! Of course, you may have already thought of that or have other plans, in which case feel free to tell me to get on with my own model (!) :laugh_mini:

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Bl@@dy editor playing up!!
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

You are building the warehouse in half relief, which means that the interior (against the backscene board) isn't seen. That works no problem until you have the open section on columns - you need to factor in a wall at the back against the backscene otherwise the illusion of the rest of the half relief building is lost (as you will see the backscene).

Ah... I'm so glad you're paying attention @SteveyDee68... The way I'm going to cut out a double sized XL Door in the front of the warehouse which if I'm honest I don't think will be large enough to S bend the track through in a suitable manner! Hmmmm yes I see your point, it'll become very obvious when there's not a wagon in the way that the back of the warehouse is feet away... 

Drat! The nice man from Ikea is coming tomorrow with a giant Kallax unit to free up lots of space and generate much tidiness and efficiency into my modelling area - so have plenty of time to think while I turn the room upside down moving furniture.

Cheers

Ralf

May I throw an idea at you...

The Scalescenes low relief factory is literally about 9mm deep, but you can add a loading platform in front (adding another 20mm  deepth, I think)... if you can spare 30mm at the rear, using your warehouse ground floor sections to model a wall and loading dock (use the low relief factory for ideas!) Then, for the remaining two or three floors, build out over the tracks as you originally planned, supporting the front sections on columns (as per Ipswich). You might even incorporate trapdoors over the siding to imply hoisting goods up out of open wagons. Your wagons don't disappear into a building (as currently planned) but the overhang and columns go a long way to 'masking' wagons.

Think of your warehouse being built like a giant P in vertical section, except that the vertical line of the P is where the backscene dissects the building, and the front of the P is supported on columns.

It might even then be possible to widen the platform where your siding curves in, to provide more linear space for unloading wagons.

Steve S