Siddals Road Quay - Back to the Scalescenes Warehouse low relief style!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ralf

In response to hiding the back-scene join, I would glue and clamp a strip of wood to the reverse side of the back-scene along the length of the join to pull everything in flush. Then apply some filler on the join at the front and sand flat. Then glue on an ID type photo sky scape like GM755 from Gauge Master (other types are available). As your buildings seem cover most of the height of the back-scene, then you might get away with a narrow 6" wide skyscape like the one I mentioned.

If you had more depth to play with behind the rear most siding track then an ultra low relief boiler house might work where the chimney stack is in line with the join.

Regards

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/07/2020 at 13:38, MAP66 said:

I would glue and clamp a strip of wood to the reverse side of the back-scene along the length of the join to pull everything in flush. Then apply some filler on the join at the front and sand flat.

And here's what happened! Luckily yesterday I'd bought 2 Irwin 300mm light duty clamps from ToolStation which I'd been checking on daily and had never been in stock in my local (5 mins walk) branch. So they got their first outing...

First impressions they're certainly a good sturdy and strong clamp - unlike my 4 mini ones which leave a lot to be desired!

Now all I've got to do is leave the whole lot to dry properly before moving it! 

Cheers

Ralf

IMG_0493.JPG.809af549a2822758c3cde9d9228a8619.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG.0a4ef6939930f1a32ed5962485c33a84.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG.acfcafa0ebe31c574c88a15865e3e1b7.JPG

Edited by Ralf
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

Any more progress, Ralf? Would be interested to see, as I have a very similar trackplan on a very small board* and am also looking to make use of the Scalescenes boxfile structures!

Do you mind me asking how you managed to print the pdf out mirrored?

Regards

Steve S

* Originally Woodhey Quay, then DRS Engineering, now Castlebrook Quay

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Any more progress, Ralf? Would be interested to see, as I have a very similar trackplan on a very small board* and am also looking to make use of the Scalescenes boxfile structures!

Do you mind me asking how you managed to print the pdf out mirrored?

Regards

Steve S

* Originally Woodhey Quay, then DRS Engineering, now Castlebrook Quay

I think @Ralf mentioned on page 2 that he used the "flip horizontal" function of 'Preview' on his Apple Mac. I know PDF Pro let's you flip or mirror as well. There may be a website that lets you do it as well(can't find the link at the moment).

• Informative/Useful 1

On 03/06/2020 at 22:37, Ralf said:

So actually more progress to report, I admit I had some of the kit glued up before I quite realised in concept how the structure was going together and what needed reversed, but thanks to my Mac having a very simple 'flip horizontal' option on printing (from the Preview app) PDF's a couple of reprinted sheets and it's getting there - although as you can see the front is simply propped up for now!

And that just goes to show that sometimes I read something and the information somehow simply does not percolate through into my brain! Thank you simonmcp for directing me back to page 2 of the thread, especially as I had actually reread it from the beginning again! 

Also goes to show that every day is a school day!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typos!

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Any more progress, Ralf?

There is actually - an awful lot compared to where I thought I'd updated (and indeed read other than bargain hunters) RMWeb... Most of the track is down and I've almost finished the box file kit but it got to the stage I needed the track down before finalising buildings. I promise more of an update soon as this new lockdown has generated more time for modelling in my life! 

Cheers

Ralf

ps I don't remember how I printed it to be honest but it's a ball ache to imagine and build due to it not matching the instructions in some planes (is that the right word?)...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here we are folks... As promised mostly wired up and checked but not the bit to the left of the weighted wagon chasis, seems the S curve is kinda tight and see to have a tight-spot even with a fairly short wheelbase wagon... :( Not quite sure how to proceed - I suppose check it with some locos and stock before panicking. Glued the points down first so I'd know where to build the track in-between them maybe not the greatest idea ever. Thoughts please! 

The other giant cock-up is I've laid the front track way to close to the edge of the board so having the dockside crane isn't possible as it'd be hanging on the baseboard... For now I'm scrapping having the crane although it limits the dockside showing potential too - maybe if the layout isn't actually going to live in it's storage box I could cantilever more baseboard out of the front.... :wacko:

Ta

Ralf

EDIT - post forum image loss I'm unable to locate the original file that was here, Img 2493 apparently but it's seemingly gone! Apols... 

Edited by Ralf
2nd paragraph - the forgotten cock up!
  • Like 2

Hi Ralf

Great to see an update!

I'm not sure what to suggest for the track between the points on the left side - it looks like there is a kink to both points, could this cause the tight spot? My only suggestion would be to lift the very left hand point and move it leftwards a fraction ... if you used PVA, would soaking in hot water release it?  Sorry - daft suggestion - I just read back and saw your baseboards are MDF!

My other thought is for you to think out of the box (?!) and have the rear edge of the baseboard as the dock edge (as per Arun Quay). Instead of your rear siding simply curving out from the loop to serve a warehouse, you could perhaps incorporate a kickback siding along the dock edge? Maybe then there would be room for your crane? Backscene representation of the other side of the dock?

You could still have buildings 'framing' the scene at the rear, at each end of the dock edge. As to the two front sidings, you might create a foamboard baseboard extension for the front that has buildings on, so you are viewing from between/over them? Or maybe just simple "scenic flats" that have detail on the layout side but are plain black at the front, like those used to mask the wings in a theatre?

Just to add, having now looked back to your previous posts, that your composition was looking so good perhaps you should bite the bullet and restart the tracklaying? Also, if the front track is laid slightly further back than originally planned, it could line up with the doorways in the warehouse?

I find myself rethinking what I am doing, usually because of a mistake or three! It's all part of the fun, isn't it? (Please say it is!)

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Stupidity!

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Just to add, having now looked back to your previous posts, that your composition was looking so good perhaps you should bite the bullet and restart the tracklaying?

Sigh, yeah ok I agree but I don't want too I'd rather bury my head in the sand and ignore it... Ok track lifting gang start tomorrow - first up a reprint of the track plan to see if I can follow it this time! 

Thanks for the encouragement / feedback Steve.

Ralf

On 10/01/2021 at 21:05, Ralf said:

Sigh, yeah ok I agree but I don't want too I'd rather bury my head in the sand and ignore it... Ok track lifting gang start tomorrow - first up a reprint of the track plan to see if I can follow it this time! 

Ralf

I bet if you had 'stuck your head in the sand' you would eventually reach a point of disatisfaction, though. So, albeit painful, you've made the right decision in the long run.

I'm still at the point of shuffling bits of track around on a board (or two) but in the process realised that my original intention for DRS Engineering wasn't working out, and have 'parked' it for a while, and Woodheys Quay needed more room to 'breathe' and so has also been 'postponed'. What I have got on a board for Castlebrook Sidings is very, very similar to your trackplan, and may turn out looking very similar (using the Scalescenes boxfile buildings) but nothing is yet fastened down; I intend to mock up the buildings first so I don't mess it up with the track out by a few mm!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
U rated substitution (apologies)
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Ralf said:

Ralf

Hi,

just read this.

It's my personal experience that biting the bullet is by far the best way, much better than hours of frustration trying to get things to work "just so" that have no intention of doing so.  It's also my experience that, not matter how well you plan things, and how good it looks on paper or whatever, be prepared to do a bit of fiddling when laying the track as it sometimes looks a wee bit different in the flesh.

Roja

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Right! So having stated my intention to do it again and hopefully learn along the way tonight we started in earnest.

Soaking the copydex in white spirit (the first solvent that came to hand below the kitchen sink, plan B was the sticky stuff remover pictured but didn't need to venture that far) it all came up fairly easily - a few copper clad sleepers came adrift but I wasn't too careful and the soldering wasn't the best so I'm not surprised!

Left the solvent to evaporate before attacking the feeds with a soldering iron! Didn't want any nasty surprises and I suspect it's possible to get one with soldering iron and white spirit if you tried hard enough. Then I'll glue the track plan down and go from there... 

Cheers

Ralf

ps Image 3 is of terrible quality, apologies! If I remember tomorrow I'll retake it but can't right now as the track is all mid-air as per the second pic! - Pic 3 was taken first! 

IMG_2519.JPG.e42ec08c0df5ead9f891ff6d15aad26f.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG.1d7aadc29baab8be569f8c6a9776a874.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG.2dff7a04b596d68fcbe0d4d05b5d1082.JPG

Edited by Ralf
Image 3 apologies!
  • Like 3

• Ralf changed the title to Siddals Road Quay - Lifting the track - trying again!
  • RMweb Gold

So here's to progress folks... Not a lot to report the track plan I've printed isn't based on PECO points - I couldn't find the perfect one but never mind it's pretty close I include two pics of the critical areas for the track building - fingers crossed I'll get away with both...

Cheers

Ralf

IMG_2540.jpg.9231dc4390e3442de8aaf91e27a9eb53.jpg

IMG_2541.jpg.f9108bb23a7d39310f4f7d3722ba7e04.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg.002f043c32ce6044c5c5d7f7dd021622.jpg

Edited by Ralf
Delete unused pic
  • Like 1

Wow! I need to take some modelling mojo boost pills! You have just got on and done it, whilst I am still procrastinating with bits of paper and second guessing myself whether to scrap the idea of a canal wharf (because the board isn't big enough!)

Is the width of the loop to allow for the crane track to fit? Assuming so, because making the loop "thinner" would I think make lining up the points easier?

Steve S

• Agree 1

Well done for starting again Ralph, I've lost count of the times I've given up on projects at the track planning stage. 

It looks like your points are not lining up in the pictures, I think you've got to take a bit of time to get this bit right as it could cause problems later on. I'd agree with Steve above, if you make the loop "thinner" the points should line up. 

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Wow! I need to take some modelling mojo boost pills! You have just got on and done it, whilst I am still procrastinating with bits of paper and second guessing myself whether to scrap the idea of a canal wharf

Don't worry that's my usual mode of operation, or even better the close the modelling room door and leave it closed for weeks.... 

Yes @sb67 I don't know why I ever made it so wide, so throwing caution to the wind here's it slimmed down a bit and it all looks quite feasible... Central points laid tomorrow and construction can re-begin from there outwards... We shall see!

I wonder why the points at the front of the layout are where they are? Moving them left further shortens the sidings, going right makes the geometry worse... Hmmmm

Ralf

2143445346_IMG_2557copy.jpg.7efc358adcb7203613c4f82214a19d20.jpg

Edited by Ralf
Thinking about the position of the points
  • Like 1

• Ralf changed the title to Siddals Road Quay - Laying the track - Take 2!
  • RMweb Gold

It looks just the same except in reality the points are now installed, glued, droppers, point motor holes etc etc all done... Next step who knows but I wish I could go back to playing with buildings and kits, I hate track laying it's all so (reasonably) final... 

Ralf

1245610703_IMG_2570copy.jpg.c6283b145461578c59ba67c0a28fe26a.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

So here we are (two days work), more track down and narrowed the run-round loop as @SteveyDee68 - the centre to centre measurement has reduced from 85mm to c60mm and can still accommodate the crane, why was it so wide?

Cheers!

Ralf

IMG_2616.JPG.c059289ce313a1bcd61d33ba65127e07.JPG

TMC Bargain makes a debut... (the black pen lines are where the crane rails will need to run...) 

IMG_2628.JPG.fcdd8584a9224d7e1f0d0a8b169be1b7.JPG

Almost all stuck down and this is how it'll look... Geometery seems to have been eased a lot, hoping for similar results at the LH end... 

IMG_2652.jpg.d513ea5c9c04f5aa605078e4b071a03d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Ralf, I don't like the right hand end of your layout... I LOVE IT!! :laugh_mini:

As you've said, the geometry has eased itself, your crane fits and ... do I see the end warehouse now sitting correctly without hanging over the end of the quay?! There'll be no stopping you now - don't you just love it when a plan comes together? (Grins and sucks on cigar!)

I must get around to narrowing my crane base as you have done - to me, it really improves the look of it no end, not to mention taking less room across the tracks.

Looking forward to how this continues.

Steve S

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

do I see the end warehouse now sitting correctly without hanging over the end of the quay?!

Isn't it supposed too? - See pics here. https://scalescenes.com/product/ly02-canal-wharf-boxfile-layout/

More track built and some glued with feeds etc too this evening. Little and often approach is certainly getting things done, thanks for the encouragement Steve. 

Ralf

1196573393_IMG_2671copy.jpg.10b0dccd18a5184f33bdd4ee5cb49249.jpg

10 hours ago, Ralf said:

Isn't it supposed too?

You know? My bad! I was thinking back to a much earlier photo as below, where the brickwork was hanging off the edge of the board (possibly for track clearance through the doorway?)

IMG_1522.JPG

EDIT LOST - added further text after photo but hasn't updated entry (as follows):

What I failed to remember was that you stated "approximate position" and then showed it in a later photo with the wall set back from the edge of the wharf.

So apologies on two counts - (1) for misremembering and commenting without checking back and (2) for thinking you wouldn't have noticed this yourself!

Searching for facepalm emoji...

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Part of text missing after editing

Can I lob a spanner in the works Ralf. How about something like this, based on the Piano line, which featured in the Railway Modeller in the early 60s. The line running off the middle of the loop line goes into your fiddle yard. My daughter built something similar, called Stockerston, when she was ten!! We had a lot of fun with it although we only used 03 shunters on it, it did a few exhibitions too!!

Just a thought

Disgusting of Market Harborough

screenshot.png