The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

All the useless things you have learned whilst in COVID isolation

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Great to hear some good news about the virus, plenty of rest now it’s a really debilitating disease which can have a long full recovery time, our Son says some shake it off in a few days and others are laid out for weeks getting back to normal.

I'm 10 days in and over the worst, no real symptoms as such, but tired as hell, about time somebody put my batteries back in!

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'm 10 days in and over the worst, no real symptoms as such, but tired as hell, about time somebody put my batteries back in!

Mike.

Phew! Go careful Mike....

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It is very good for all of us to hear of real people who have survived. The stats suggest very many do, but we never know the real circs surrounding those who succumb - are we equally vulnerable? Not every victim has a major health issue or age against them.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

It is very good for all of us to hear of real people who have survived. The stats suggest very many do, but we never know the real circs surrounding those who succumb - are we equally vulnerable? Not every victim has a major health issue or age against them.  

In my case, covid19 don't beat stupid!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Correct, we know of two poor souls, one a 52 yr old nurse with no issues and the other a 58 year old neighbour of our oldest friends with again apparently no issues.

That is why we feel reinforced to ensure we stay SI as we definitely have issues which would put us in dire trouble, so heads down and on with life as best we can, the only downside we have had so far is getting food supplies via the supermarkets, despite the required letter and filling in the online GOV form.......if we didn’t have a local shop which now delivers due to the crisis we’d be in real trouble.

• Friendly/supportive 12

Where do you want to start?

Last week we took part in a charity quiz/fund-raiser for a local hospice, on Zoom and chaired by a TV celebrity, who is a patron of their charity.  The last round of questions were all about said celebrity - so excessively self indulgent - I honestly couldn’t care less.  

Anyway that’s twelve useless things down, just another eighty-eight to go!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2020 at 22:53, Phil Bullock said:

Well I didnt do it right did I!

So got told NEVER to do it again! Hee hee

This is called 'Strategic Incompetence' and is my approach to many unwanted tasks ;)

So another version of 'SI' to dicuss (don't need to go onto Système International units either)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2020 at 19:24, polybear said:

I've learnt that the single, solitary brain cell that Trump has been bestowed with is totally unserviceable.

(Thought:  I'd love to meet the Secret Service Guys that have the job of protecting him, and ask "would you REALLY take a bullet for that Pr1ck?")

Oh yes.  In fact I'd take one to work specifically for him...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It takes 2.5 days for a 4 pint bottle of milk to defrost in the fridge!

So it requires sophisticated forward planning to avoid ice cubes in your tea and truly frosted cereal for breakfast...

Edited by Harlequin
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, EddieB said:

Hang on, just realised the significance of the previous post.  I read it that the price had dropped by thirty one dollars, but no, its value has gone negative. They’re paying you to take it.

Hi Eddie,

The intra-day low was minus $40.32 !

I think we should all clap for oil traders, perhaps not.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

I have learnt just how far one can walk without going too far from home, or going over the same path too often.

I seem to be getting about 15/16000 steps in each evening; mainly through the vast net-work of local paths, "gennels" and allotments etc

The feds seem to be on patrol a lot, and its not like SYPD to turn down the chance to be "extra officious" even if one is going  out there legitimately taking ones allowable exercises or going to the shop for some essentials.

Apparently the "Spanish Flu" (1918 H1N1 influenza pandemic) had nothing in particular to do with Spain, and it's origin is quite unclear.

Since it took place during the Great War, countries engaged in the war heavily censored news of the pandemic. Spain, not a participant in the war, permitted their press to widely report the epidemic, generating the impression that it hit Spain harder than elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Apparently the "Spanish Flu" (1918 H1N1 influenza pandemic) had nothing in particular to do with Spain, and it's origin is quite unclear.

Since it took place during the Great War, countries engaged in the war heavily censored news of the pandemic. Spain, not a participant in the war, permitted their press to widely report the epidemic, generating the impression that it hit Spain harder than elsewhere.

The last time I looked at it on wikipedia, it was being attributed to an American chicken-farmer who got called up.

But with wikipedia, most articles seem true except for those where I have personal knowledge, so I guess "origin unclear"  is probably true.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

The last time I looked at it on wikipedia, it was being attributed to an American chicken-farmer who got called up.

5 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

The other main theory is that it originated in a British military hospital in northern France that was also an important staging post for troops. Apparently lots of people were in close proximity to pigs, chickens etc.

The Wikipedia article suggests multiples sources - US troops in Kansas, British troops in France and even a Chinese or Austrian origin.

• Agree 1

I watched a You Tube documentary about Spanish Flu a few days ago. They attributed it to US troops in Kansas. It makes Covid 19 seems like a garden party. 35-40 minutes of total misery. Enough to turn anyone to drink.... so I willingly obliged !!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Second useless thing I have learnt.....

Probably best not to order a new double bed when social distancing is in place. You will have to get it upstairs yourself......

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6