The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

All the useless things you have learned whilst in COVID isolation

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Second useless thing I have learnt.....

Probably best not to order a new double bed when social distancing is in place. You will have to get it upstairs yourself......

Well, it's only like a big train set Phil!

Mike.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Some old fashioned signalling people like me had a reputation for being a bit OCD. Just look at some of those big trees of shiny wiring in old power signalling relay rooms. I once saw on old installer putting offcuts inside the tree so as it went up the rack each level was perfectly formed.

Well I've just collated this weekend's shopping wants from around the kitchen. I found myself putting the items in the order I pass them on the shortest route from entrance to till passing all shelves in the local Aldi. :(

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2020 at 22:53, Phil Bullock said:

Well I didnt do it right did I!

So got told NEVER to do it again! Hee hee

Well played Phil. I have learned over time to become completely useless at a wide variety of domestic tasks. It's a real talent

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Well I've just collated this weekend's shopping wants from around the kitchen. I found myself putting the items in the order I pass them on the shortest route from entrance to till passing all shelves in the local Aldi. :(

You must be in pieces when Aldi do a stock layout rotation every few months :lol:

• Funny 2

Hi Folks,

I have noted that people still quote Wikipedia as though it is, qualitatively, quantitatively, and absolutely correct in all matters informational.

I have also noted that it is very often at the top of page one of Google search returns.

I did try to find out why yet strangely there does not appear to be a Wikipedia page to explain this phenomenon so I have no idea why this might be !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I have noted that people still quote Wikipedia as though it is, qualitatively, quantitatively, and absolutely correct in all matters informational.

I does have going for it that it is being scrutinised by a lot of people. Always worth having a look at the talk page if you've got any suspicions. I'm not aware of any better online source of general information. On specific subjects, yes, but unless you're already familiar with a subject area then you'll have you work cut out sorting the wheat from the chaff on which other sites are worthwhile anyway.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Second useless thing I have learnt.....

Probably best not to order a new double bed when social distancing is in place. You will have to get it upstairs yourself......

Hmm . . . . I only ordered a new mattress . . delivered on time . . . . 

Can't get rid of the old one or packaging 'cos' skip sites are closed and no one-off collections!!

John

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Two_sugars said:

Hmm . . . . I only ordered a new mattress . . delivered on time . . . . 

Can't get rid of the old one or packaging 'cos' skip sites are closed and no one-off collections!!

John

Yup same problem here John.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Some old fashioned signalling people like me had a reputation for being a bit OCD. Just look at some of those big trees of shiny wiring in old power signalling relay rooms. I once saw on old installer putting offcuts inside the tree so as it went up the rack each level was perfectly formed.

We have a pre-printed A4 sheet of items to be collected on the weekly Tesco run. This is in the order of the route I take round the store. 

During the previous week we tick off items as they run out, or are moved from the garage chest freezer to the kitchen fridge/freezer. A final sweep of items not in the cupboards before I leave is performed, then I'm fairly confident that as long as I collect all the ticked items, I am in line for at least a neutral balance of brownie points. Items not in stock are counted as my fault and thus earn negative points. 

Edited by Stubby47
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

We have a pre-printed A4 sheet of items to be collected on the weekly Tesco run. This is in the order of the route I take round the store. 

During the previous week we tick off items as they run out, or are moved from the garage chest freezer to the kitchen fridge/freezer. A final sweep of items not in the cupboards before I leave is performed, then I'm fairly confident that as long as I collect all the ticked items, I am in line for at least a neutral balance of brownie points. Items not in stock are counted as my fault and thus earn negative points. 

As I both cook and shop I carry prime responsibility in this house for empty cupboards - the trade is I dont have to do the ironing. I always ask SWMBO before I go if theres anything she needs but I get the impression I am supposed to intuitively know if her conditioner is running low as she never asks for things!!!

Negative points also accumulate....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

3rd useless thing I have learnt....

Maltesers plainly have some higher purpose in the scheme of things!

For two weeks when this started the shelves were completely devoid. SWMBO was not happy..... until a couple of weeks ago they re-appeared.

And now you can get as much pasta, bog roll etc as you want but guess what? No Maltesers again......

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Items not in stock are counted as my fault

As a married man, anything at all that goes wrong or doesn't happen is automatically your fault, in the view of SWMBO. :punish: :cry:

Edited by F-UnitMad
Spelling!!
  • Agree 4

54 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

As a married man, anything at all that goes wrong or doesn't happen is automatically your fault, in the view of SWMBO. :punish: :cry:

My stock answers, (if she's being 'difficult' like that) are "I can't buy it, if it's not there"

and "I've been to 5 shops already, how long did you want to wait the for rest of the stuff"

Gave up with brownie points some time ago!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

As I both cook and shop I carry prime responsibility in this house for empty cupboards - the trade is I dont have to do the ironing. I always ask SWMBO before I go if theres anything she needs but I get the impression I am supposed to intuitively know if her conditioner is running low as she never asks for things!!!

Negative points also accumulate....

I do most of the shopping, but I ask the other half to create a list, particularly regarding what she wants for dinner. The list sometimes takes ages, because she can't think of anything!

However, going round the supermarket, I usually receive at least one text with additions. However, once I hit the checkout, that's it! Well, usually I check it for urgent items, but I normally use the excuse 'Sorry, I didn't get your last message, until driving home'! So far she hasn't twigged.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/04/2020 at 04:53, J. S. Bach said:

I can only think of one thing at the moment :o; spending way too much time on RMweb Wheeltappers!! :biggrin_mini::biggrin_mini::jester::biggrin_mini:

I'm finding that if I spend too long on the computer, I get saddle sore from the chair!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

I get the impression I am supposed to intuitively know if her conditioner is running low as she never asks for things!!!

I am in charge of the store cupboard containing toilet rolls, bath and shower stuff, First Aid, medicines etc. If I notice we are low on anything I shout up. I also empty the bins around the house and sort the recycling so I can tell if anything has been used up.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Reorte said:

I does have going for it that it is being scrutinised by a lot of people. Always worth having a look at the talk page if you've got any suspicions. I'm not aware of any better online source of general information. On specific subjects, yes, but unless you're already familiar with a subject area then you'll have you work cut out sorting the wheat from the chaff on which other sites are worthwhile anyway.

Whenever I'm not sure if something on Wikipedia is correct I turn to Facebook or twitter for confirmation.

• Funny 14

10 hours ago, Lantavian said:

The great thing about Wikipedia is that you can either ask for such a page to be created, or you can even create it yourself and submit it.

And it is "peer" reviewed, though absent the requirement for "peers" to have formal qualifications.

10 hours ago, Lantavian said:

Quite often I find that the writers have misquoted or misunderstood their source material.

You have the opportunity to report and discuss this to change the article.

Personally I think it is one of the greatest crowd-sourced accomplishments of the internet. It is exceptionally useful even if, like everything online it should be used carefully.

One of the worst abuses of the internet is "fake" (or incorrectly sourced) quotes by famous people. I find wikiquote's peer review process to be one of the best resources to sort out the fake quotes in their "misattributed" section.

A good example is "rum, s0domy and the lash". Wikiquote shunts this to misattributed for Churchill. A wikipedia page for the Pogues' album, "Rum, s0domy and the Lash" claims this quote to be accurate, with an apparently suitable reference. This one is a famous misquote, so there's plenty of supporting (on-line) evidence that wikiquote handled it accurately.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Stupid profanity filter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I have also noted that it is very often at the top of page one of Google search returns.

I did try to find out why yet strangely there does not appear to be a Wikipedia page to explain this phenomenon so I have no idea why this might be !

Gibbo.

10 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I've just looked in the mirror and it turns out that I have "ꟼЯƎWT Ǝ⅃ꓭII⅃⅃UӘ" tattooed across my forehead.

I am neither shocked nor surprised but very confused !

Gibbo.

Apologies to Phil Bullock for what I have started within the thread in my attempts at subtle humour, the two comments were indeed connected via context.

Gibbo.

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Apologies to Phil Bullock for what I have started within the thread in my attempts at subtle humour, the two comments were indeed connected via context.

Gibbo.

Please - No apologies needed - appropriate points about wikipedia from all sides.

I could always divert the conversation away by mentioning frog juicers.... oh better not!

Thread intended to be a bit of irony around isolation ... so will have to find another one .... tomorrow.

Stay safe all!

Phil

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I have now learned more than 100 - can the thread title be changed please?

:)

Done! This could go on for a while so all reference to inappropriate quantification removed from title....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Done! This could go on for a while so all reference to inappropriate quantification removed from title....

Next - can someone start a thread "all the things I've learned while in covid isolation, but already forgotten"?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1