The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

All the useless things you have learned whilst in COVID isolation

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Next - can someone start a thread "all the things I've learned while in covid isolation, but already forgotten"?

I dunno ..... cant remember how to do that

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I have learnt never to leave a vitamin tablet on the laptop, next to the touch pad. Even though I didn't close it fully, thinking that would be ok, the screen is now completely useless, rendering the rest of the MacBook Pro ditto. Ebay prices for a new screen - not that I can find one for this model - are close to £1k, rendering a repair unviable. Sigh.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Where I am, it will be compulsory to wear a mask, to go shopping, from Monday on.

I've no problem with that except that I have now learnt that whenever I wear my mask, my glasses steam up! I'm really looking forward to finding items at the supermarket in the fog. :no2:

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I have learnt never to leave a vitamin tablet on the laptop, next to the touch pad. Even though I didn't close it fully, thinking that would be ok, the screen is now completely useless, rendering the rest of the MacBook Pro ditto. Ebay prices for a new screen - not that I can find one for this model - are close to £1k, rendering a repair unviable. Sigh.

A bitter pill to swallow?

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

Where I am, it will be compulsory to wear a mask, to go shopping, from Monday on.

I've no problem with that except that I have now learnt that whenever I wear my mask, my glasses steam up! I'm really looking forward to finding items at the supermarket in the fog. :no2:

I have the same problem when using PPE for DIY jobs. It may be safer for the eyes and lungs but it puts my fingers at great risk.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

One from the psychiatrists couch from me, I've got far too much time think about things!

With my enforced confinement over here, living in Spain isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Mike.

You and thinking never did go too well together...........

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

All joking apart, I know Tony as a good one, as to whether it's reciprocal,,,,well!!!

Mike.

We can't all be good a everythng! Some of us have this thinking thing sorted out and some of us struggle

We do back a long way, maybe 35 years, maybe nearer 40. Insults and taking the micky have been part of it for all that time and I hope carry on for many more yeas! Yes! Good friend! I always thought that leaving the country to get away from the insults was a bit of an over reaction.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

One from the psychiatrists couch from me, I've got far too much time think about things!

With my enforced confinement over here, living in Spain isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Mike.

Do you need a red cross parcel Mike? More Lima Bolster Es perhaps? 

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, newbryford said:

Next - can someone start a thread "all the things I've learned while in covid isolation, but already forgotten"?

How about "wanted to forget" instead.:jester:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Something I have learned: I cannot make six mugs of tea from one teabag. Four is the maximum.

I find after two it gets unacceptably weak. 

I've learned that "Can you just reboot your PC for updates" takes on a whole new meaning when the PC in question is several miles away in a closed office, and decided it's not gonig to come back from the reboot...

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

And it is "peer" reviewed, though absent the requirement for "peers" to have formal qualifications.

I broadly group Wikipedia articles into three categories.

The first are the big ones, popular (sometimes controversial) subjects. They'll get the most abuse but also the most scrutiny. Always worth reading through the talk pages too. Problems with them generally won't last long.

The second are very technical articles. There's often quite a bit of depth in these, usually written by people who clearly know what they're talking about. They don't usually attract troublemakers either.

The third are the generally obscure ones. These are the most variable in quality. They're not all that likely to attact controversy or vandalism but don't attract as much editing either.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Just out of interest I once tried to edit a wiki entry, was informed that because my machine had been used for malicious editing it was blocked. Never quite figured that out

Most likely you're on a dynamic IP address, which means that each time you connect to the internet you get a different IP (the internet equivalent of a telephone number) issued to you - if that particular IP had been used previously for malicious editing, you'd see that error - in which case switching your router off and on again would probably fix it.

Or if you were at work at the time, chances are someone else in your company had been up to something dodgy!

Useless thing I have learned during Lockdown?

I am REALLY looking forward to Retirement, & getting lots of modelling done instead of work!!!

Why is this useless? Because I'm still over a decade away from Retirement.... :rolleyes:

• Friendly/supportive 7

Hi Folks,

I have learned from reading my Latin dictionary and thesaurus, (I really am actually waiting for paint to dry !) that the etymology of the word nice is nescire which means [to] not know.

By definition this is not nice !

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling, oh the irony !
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I have learned from reading my Latin dictionary and thesaurus, (I really am actually waiting for paint to dry !) that the etymology of the word nice is nescire which means [to] not know.

By definition this is not nice !

Gibbo.

But ignorance is absolute bliss!

• Agree 2