Getting to Old Oak Common

jointline

I compiled my list from memory whcih was last updated circa 1977 when I was secondman at KX!

As for staff travelling for their duty, I lived in Northampton from mid 1973 (had to move there to get an affordable house). I transferred to the Met Line from the District and managed that every day for about 7 months, then packed it in and went coach driving for a while then went on BR at Rugby in November 1974.

During that time there was a number of drivers and other trian crew doing that journey, an 81A driver, a chirpy cockney old school geezer, I can't remember his name, a couple of Euston and Stonebridge drivers one of whom was S.L.Jones, known as "Slow Line" Jones for some reason. :)  Clive Everitt was a Waterloo amn who lived in Northampton, Bill Warriner a Rugby man who also travelled to Waterloo, and a number of LT staff who joined the trains at Bletchley and stations south. Not forgetting Derrick Collier who travelled to Waterloo from Crewe for his job for many years.

We had an hourly service from Northampton in those days, with a couple of early morning up services from Manchester and Liverpool at about 0345 and 0355 I think, then the first service train about 0450. Late traisn going home were the 2255 (I think) then "the midnight", actually the 0015 semi fast to Wolves. These days I understand there's at least 2 trains an hour from Northampton to London. Luxury.

• Like 1

I seen mention of the distance/time from  OOC to your home. When I was at OOC as a second man it took me 1 1/2 each way for me to get there each day. In fact there was 4 of us from the same place at one time working there.

the worker bus was also used to ferry crews to Kensington Olympia for the Brighton to Wolverhampton services were a crew changed occurred.

On 07/11/2020 at 12:57, roythebus said:

I compiled my list from memory whcih was last updated circa 1977 when I was secondman at KX!

As for staff travelling for their duty, I lived in Northampton from mid 1973 (had to move there to get an affordable house). I transferred to the Met Line from the District and managed that every day for about 7 months, then packed it in and went coach driving for a while then went on BR at Rugby in November 1974.

During that time there was a number of drivers and other trian crew doing that journey, an 81A driver, a chirpy cockney old school geezer, I can't remember his name, a couple of Euston and Stonebridge drivers one of whom was S.L.Jones, known as "Slow Line" Jones for some reason. :)  Clive Everitt was a Waterloo amn who lived in Northampton, Bill Warriner a Rugby man who also travelled to Waterloo, and a number of LT staff who joined the trains at Bletchley and stations south. Not forgetting Derrick Collier who travelled to Waterloo from Crewe for his job for many years.

We had an hourly service from Northampton in those days, with a couple of early morning up services from Manchester and Liverpool at about 0345 and 0355 I think, then the first service train about 0450. Late traisn going home were the 2255 (I think) then "the midnight", actually the 0015 semi fast to Wolves. These days I understand there's at least 2 trains an hour from Northampton to London. Luxury.

You'll be glad to know that Bill 'Waterloo Willie' Warriner is alive and well, he lives not far from me and I see him around town occasionally. I remember him telling me a few times about secondmanning the Warship hauled Exeter jobs out of W'loo ;)

Edited by Rugd1022