Model Rail #273 May 2020

grahame

My subscription copy arrived this morning so printed versions have been produced and are available. And with a reference to being 'stuck indoors' so presumably consideration for those self isolating. Here's the contents pages and cover:

DSC_9450.JPG.5b728a5b73fb78703d6930de37737948.JPG

DSC_9451.JPG.767e72c5d21aa4c677b921f42e1f0fe5.JPG

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, steve1 said:

If I could get a copy locally without breaking the rules, then I would but one. Sadly the village shop only carries RM. Which I have already read cover to cover!

steve

Not sure if it's an option for you, but it is available in digital format?

10 hours ago, Tony Davis said:

Not sure if it's an option for you, but it is available in digital format?

Tony,

Yes I could but I prefer hard copy as I find digital mags difficult to read on an iPhone. I think I will get a postal copy.

steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lower Exbury is a lovely layout! But its not clear what the size of the baseboard is - is it really a single scenic board of 7' 6"? As Eric Morecambe said "You cant see the join" if its not.

On 16 April 2020 at 19:59, steve1 said:

If I could get a copy locally without breaking the rules, then I would but one. Sadly the village shop only carries RM. Which I have already read cover to cover!

steve

Just ask your village shop to get the latest copy of Model Rail. My local Spar got me Steam Railway last week as a one off no problem

• RMweb Premium

I’ve bought a copy of the digital version. It was so much faf I wished I had gone for the printed version.  To obtain a digital copy (as a one off) you have to buy it online - that was simple enough.  But to actually get it, first you have to download the app, then you have to create an account (using the info sent to you by email) , finally you can download it.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, ColinK said:

I’ve bought a copy of the digital version. It was so much faf I wished I had gone for the printed version.  To obtain a digital copy (as a one off) you have to buy it online - that was simple enough.  But to actually get it, first you have to download the app, then you have to create an account (using the info sent to you by email) , finally you can download it.

Unfortunately, it's all about security. (CJL)

• Thanks 1

On 19/04/2020 at 14:58, dibber25 said:

Unfortunately, it's all about security. (CJL)

I suspect this is something that will have to be looked at in future. There have been other ideas put forwar in past for printing books and magazines such as 'print to demand'. Used for quite a few books now, but have to be orderd online and delivered. There was an idea for books to be printed at bookshops. Nothing has come of it, but it could be an idea that need to b looked at again , and that could also include magazines.

And for trying to order magazines from local shops, assuming they are open, is that distributors often only have limited numbers of copies in some areas, based on what they expect to sell.

Something else that is required to make online selling more popuar would be for a low res version of magazine to be available to look at online. Just enough to show potential buyers what is actually in the magazine.

• RMweb Premium

I have tried online versions of magazines and I just cannot get on with them, I need physical paper in the hand versions that I can pick and browse or refer to just like that as and when time permits.  Digital versions have just to much faff factor involved.

Mind you, trying to locate a local shop that is both open and stocking said publications has become nigh on impossible!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2020 at 15:15, steve1 said:

Done!

steve

And I’m still waiting for it! :angry:

The next issue will be out first at this rate.

steve (Not a happy bunny)

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, steve1 said:

I'm sorry but with our staff scattered to the four winds and working from home, there's no way I can assist with this. Nor do I have any copies that I can mail out. Indeed, I have not even seen a copy of this issue myself. I can only suggest that you contact wherever you ordered it from to check that it has actually been mailed out. (CJL)

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, steve1 said:

At this moment in time there are many unhappy people with far worse issues that you seem to be encountering. 
I'm a subscriber since 2003. Issues are still dropping through the mailbox.If for some reason they stop I will wait patiently for them to resume..This situation is testing most  decent people and organisations beyond reasonable limits.

12 hours ago, dibber25 said:

I'm sorry but with our staff scattered to the four winds and working from home, there's no way I can assist with this. Nor do I have any copies that I can mail out. Indeed, I have not even seen a copy of this issue myself. I can only suggest that you contact wherever you ordered it from to check that it has actually been mailed out. (CJL)

Chris,

Thanks for your response and I can understand your situation. I have contacted Bauer twice but am still awaiting a response to my second enquiry.

steve

11 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

At this moment in time there are many unhappy people with far worse issues that you seem to be encountering. 
I'm a subscriber since 2003. Issues are still dropping through the mailbox.If for some reason they stop I will wait patiently for them to resume..This situation is testing most  decent people and organisations beyond reasonable limits.

Ian,

I have been in furlough  since the end of March. Small irritations in normal times assume greater importance when one's horizons are restricted to the house, the garden and the local shop.

steve (who will now go back to being 'decent')

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 05/05/2020 at 08:30, steve1 said:

Chris,

Thanks for your response and I can understand your situation. I have contacted Bauer twice but am still awaiting a response to my second enquiry.

steve

Unfortunately, all Bauer staff are either working from home or furloughed, so I doubt that that there's anyone who can either undertake an investigation or send out a second copy. I can't imagine any way that social distancing could be practiced within our office environment, so I don't imagine things will improve any time soon. At this moment in time, I still don't have a copy and have not seen one. (CJL)

• Thanks 1

I have just received an email from Bauer Media saying that this issue is out of stock and they are unable to source a replacemen. At least I'm getting a refund.

Ah well, better luck next time. It's a pity, as I really wanted to read that issue.

Anyone got a copy they no longer want? Willing to pay.

steve :(

Once again this Forum has proved what a wealth of help and support it provides. Three members have contacted me about a copy of the mag and I thank you all for that.

31A is putting his copy in the post to me so I can, at last, get to read it. Many thanks Steve!

steve

• Friendly/supportive 1