Salmon Wagon updates

Hi all, 

The artwork for our Salmon wagons has now been completed. We expect to have the revised EP and livery samples early summer with a potential release scheduled in for around late autumn/early winter as things stand. 

We've opened up pre-orders also on http://www.footplate.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=212_437

Cheers, Rich 

Salmon DB996102.jpg

Salmon DB996126.jpg

Salmon DB996127.jpg

Salmon DB996256.jpg

Salmon DB996267.jpg

Salmon DB996272.jpg

Salmon DB996305.jpg

Salmon DB996306.jpg

Salmon DB996307.jpg

Edited by Richard Barnett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Smashing! Many thanks Rich

Keen to order 3 - when will account be debited if Paypal is used, dont have a cheque book?

Kind regards

Hi Phil, 

We don't have a facility to take pre-orders without full payment, so there's a couple of options:

1). Full payment is taken and we hold it in a secure account until the item is released. We don't fund projects from pre-order funds - we take the capital risk so if 100% of our customers wanted their money back we can do this at any point.

2). Sign up to our newsletter to stay on top of updates and when they become available we will update accordingly. Our newsletter link is here: http://www.footplate.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=3&zenid=58a0bb59dccc21d08d792c051184c883

We will of course keep this thread up to date now we're located on the main trade / product area rather than lost in the Smaller Supplier section. 

Thank you, Rich 

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Do you still have plans to release the 'later' re-bogied Salmon and Ospreys. I would buy a ton of these. I understand DB is currently in the process of de-stantioning the Ospreys back to Salmons. Do you know would you supply 'loads' for them in the form of sleepers and rails?

2 hours ago, 159220 said:

Do you still have plans to release the 'later' re-bogied Salmon and Ospreys. I would buy a ton of these. I understand DB is currently in the process of de-stantioning the Ospreys back to Salmons. Do you know would you supply 'loads' for them in the form of sleepers and rails?

Yes is the short answer... Work is well on the way to produce the ASF bogie's to depict examples from the 90's onwards. 

On the load front, no we won't be doing this, however I am sure plenty of others will fill the void.

Edited by Richard Barnett
  • Like 4

On 18/04/2020 at 13:14, 159220 said:

Fantastic! I shall start saving as I suspect I would like around 12 Salmons and 6-8 Ospreys - suspecting they shall be around £49.95 each? 

Our current one's are priced at £49.95, however it will depend on what the exchange rate is... 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They looks rather good, although, I wonder how the RRP will sit with people. The price for one is not far of twice the price of accurascale or cavalex set of wagons which have a lot of details. I was hoping that because the base mold was "flat", the price might have reflected this.

I'm not nocking the model at all, just providing some feedback from a modellers perspective. Of course, people will disagree but that's okay, everyone has an opinion

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, 37403 said:

They looks rather good, although, I wonder how the RRP will sit with people. The price for one is not far of twice the price of accurascale or cavalex set of wagons which have a lot of details. I was hoping that because the base mold was "flat", the price might have reflected this.

I'm not nocking the model at all, just providing some feedback from a modellers perspective. Of course, people will disagree but that's okay, everyone has an opinion

Sorry, that confuses me. Where do you find a set of Accurascale wagons for half the price of one Salmon? 

Roy

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Sorry, that confuses me. Where do you find a set of Accurascale wagons for half the price of one Salmon? 

I suspect that reference may be to the JSA wagons, where a twin pack is £70 (ie £35 per wagon), albeit that is not actually half the £50 price of a single Salmon.  The ones that are half the price are much smaller two axle wagons.

6 hours ago, 37403 said:

They looks rather good, although, I wonder how the RRP will sit with people. The price for one is not far of twice the price of Accurascale or Cavalex set of wagons which have a lot of details. I was hoping that because the base mould was "flat", the price might have reflected this.

You also have to remember that the Salmon is a relatively long wagon (ie longer than the Accurascale JSA, which I think you may be comparing this to), so the price needs to reflect this.  The Cavalex TEA is £42.50, so only slightly cheaper than the Salmon, but although the Salmon has a flat deck, the under frame of the Salmon is more complex than the TEA.

The most appropriate comparison should perhaps be made to Hattons FEA-E track panel carrier, which is £50 - exactly the same price as the Flangeway Salmon.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/469461/hattons_originals_h4_feae_005a_fea_e_intermodal_wagon_641025_in_freightliner_green_with_track_panel_carriers/stockdetail.aspx

Like you, I was hoping that the retail price of these would be nearer the £40 mark, but since it's a wagon that was on my "wish list" for many years, I'll still be buying some from the second batch, since it's the later air braked version that I want.  I may just buy a couple less than I might have done.  I'm just hoping that the price doesn't increase too much between the first and second batches.

1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

Like you, I was hoping that the retail price of these would be nearer the £40 mark, but since it's a wagon that was on my "wish list" for many years, I'll still be buying some from the second batch, since it's the later air braked version that I want.  I may just buy a couple less than I might have done.  I'm just hoping that the price doesn't increase too much between the first and second batches.

I’m after the later air braked version too. Maybe they will consider offering a discount on “bundle” deals of either 3 or 4 wagons with different running numbers just as other manufacturers are currently offering??

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Dan Bennett said:

Are you planning at all to do the yellow air-air braked version with the 8ft wheelbase plate bogies rather than the 5ft 6 plate bogies? Cheers 

Sorry if I missed it. But are you planning on doing the roller bearing versions of the 5' 6" and 8' plate bogies with air brakes as well?

Hi all, thank you all for your feedback. 

It is hoped that we will receive livery samples during July, and subject to all being okay, the wagon will enter production soon after.

To round off a couple of comments from above:

1) Price. This is always a difficult issue as people can appreciate. The wagon is made out of mainly metal in order to give the wagon it's weight and strength, therefore this does come at a cost. We were not prepared to settle for a wagon that can buckle, twist or be too light and therefore this has had to be factored into the cost. 

2) Bogies. The current plan includes releasing the air braked versions with the ASF bogies (modern versions). We are working on the design process for these, however to make this a little bit easier we require drawings of the bogie. We have a lot of data which is with China, however if anyone knows of a drawing for this bogie type we would be most grateful. 

Thanks Rich

• 4 weeks later...

Just caught up with this on the 'virtual exhibition' link. I noticed that the EP displays ratchet tensioners on the sides. These would be inappropriate for the fifties period. I assume they are part of the casting so wondering if you were looking to do a version without them?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The livery samples of our Salmon wagon arrived yesterday as the project continues on track for an autumn release. 

The 3 initial liveries of Plain Black, Olive Green and Engineers Yellow are nearly ready to enter production once a few final tweaks have been made.

Overall though, we're happy with how they're turning out and looking forward to seeing them in production soon.

Rich

Salmon_5.JPG

Salmon_6.JPG

Salmon_7.JPG

Salmon_17.JPG

Salmon_18.JPG

Salmon_2.JPG

• Like 9