Salmon Wagon updates

• RMweb Gold
On 04/07/2020 at 11:02, jimwal said:

Just caught up with this on the 'virtual exhibition' link. I noticed that the EP displays ratchet tensioners on the sides. These would be inappropriate for the fifties period. I assume they are part of the casting so wondering if you were looking to do a version without them?

Bump.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 04/07/2020 at 11:02, jimwal said:

Just caught up with this on the 'virtual exhibition' link. I noticed that the EP displays ratchet tensioners on the sides. These would be inappropriate for the fifties period. I assume they are part of the casting so wondering if you were looking to do a version without them?

Bump... . . . . again??

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a quick message, I’m interested in getting several of the engineers version but does it come with the end brackets as well as the side stantions?  If not, could it be done as a additional extra?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, thohurst said:

Curious as to when the final release date for these is? Along with photos of the actual models? Cheers.

On the website they appear to already be in stock (400+ of each model).

https://footplate.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=d931b68502584f8044c6a4293df8d8c0&keyword=salmon&x=8&y=10

45 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Ah great, thanks! Strange that they don't have pictures of the actual wagons on the site, just the digital drawing.

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, metman said:

No Salmon for Christmas but will not Carp on about it! 

There’s a time and a plaice for fish jokes...

Looking forward to seeing my order arrive, but considering the current realities, I wasn’t holding out hope for delivery this year, which is totally understandable.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Foden said:

There’s a time and a plaice for fish jokes...

Looking forward to seeing my order arrive, but considering the current realities, I wasn’t holding out hope for delivery this year, which is totally understandable.

Got an email yesterday saying saying they've been scalloped for a kipper in Dunkirk.

One hopes the ship is British registered if it arrives after Jan 1st, as the UK government may not translate a ship load of Salmon coming into UK waters as expected.

;-)

sensible version here...

Despite the tracking for our Salmon wagon's indicating an in port arrival of the 5th December, the vessel carrying our wagons diverted to Dunkirk.

Due to the high volume of containers arriving into the ports at the moment, unfortunately our vessel could not birth at Southampton on the day of arrival and instead diverted to Dunkirk and subsequently went on to deliver to Hamburg and Rotterdam.

We are now advised that our wagons will arrive in port later this week following transfer onto another vessel, however due to christmas, we will now not receive these until early in the new year.

As you can imagine, we are disappointed we have not managed to have these wagons in stock for christmas, however at least we now have something exciting to look forward to in the new year and look forward to their impending arrival. 

• 3 weeks later...

Also noted as showing similarly in latest edition of a magazine, (though taken with a pinch of salt as delays could have occurred between sending to print and reading).

Still eagerly awaiting the 3 I've pre-paid for!

• RMweb Premium

Got a nice parcel through this morning!

IMG-7104.jpg

I have to say, these are lovely. Nicely weighted, nice finish on the printing, and some very intricate detail underneath. A few separately fitted parts, such as bolsters if desired, drawbar and coupling, and air pipes, but well worth the wait for me to add these to my ever growing guilty pleasure of engineers wagons.

Few pictures of the first out the box:

IMG-7105.jpg

IMG-7106.jpg

IMG-7107.jpg

IMG-7108.jpg

IMG-7109.jpg

IMG-7110.jpg

IMG-7111.jpg

IMG-7112.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

My order for three arrived this morning, very nice too! So it will be off to the works for weathering and a load of used track panels, need to order some chain and turnbuckles(Roxey Mouldings?). Meanwhile here is a neat little 3 wagon train, not dated but must post TOPS pre domino era.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kingfisher24/23239155763/in/faves-28630680@N06/

Two ex LMS brakevans trailing, can't ID the loco.

Yes it's Roxey Mouldings, shackles for wagon loads https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/480/4a130-screw-shackles-for-wagon-loads/

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I suppose that answers the ratchet tensioner question then!

Mike.

Hi Mike, yes for post '75 but these wagons date from the fifties and photos in David Larkin's books and elsewhere show shackles up to at least 1968.

Matt's wagons are obviously air braked, with tensioners and very good they look too!

The wagons in the Flickr photo appear to have a non-standard securing for the chains, maybe prior to ratchet straps becoming common.

For the steam era shackles I believe it has to be!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, jimwal said:

Hi Mike, yes for post '75 but these wagons date from the fifties and photos in David Larkin's books and elsewhere show shackles up to at least 1968.

Matt's wagons are obviously air braked, with tensioners and very good they look too!

The wagons in the Flickr photo appear to have a non-standard securing for the chains, maybe prior to ratchet straps becoming common.

For the steam era shackles I believe it has to be!

Jim

I don't think you'll find many ratchets before 1977 and plenty of shackles well into the mid 1980s. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brsalmon8ft/e2d675824

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brsalmon8ft

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brsalmon5ft 

As most of these were going to be based on my photos I'd welcome some decent photos of the models being posted on here. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Agree 1

Hi all,

The variants produced include Engineers Black, Olive Green and Engineers Yellow. 

Due to the diecast nature of the chassis, we had to make a compromise when it came to the tensioners. Therefore they feature on all variants given most of the models that will be produced of the Salmons will be from the late 70's onwards.

I note the packaging comment above and I know this is being resolved following today's email and so on. :) 

Finally, we are currently in tooling for the ASF bogie to enable versions from the 90's onwards. An announcement will be made on these in due course. 

All can be ordered from www.footplate.co.uk 

Best, Rich

Black Edit.jpg

Olive Edit.jpg

Yellow Edit.jpg

• Like 7