Salmon Wagon updates

1 minute ago, NickL2008 said:

These do look good, I am tempted, but £49.95 per wagon?

How much do you want to pay? 

The Hattons FEA Track panel carrier is £50, which is a wagon with similar proportions - https://www.hattons.co.uk/469461/hattons_originals_h4_feae_005a_fea_e_intermodal_wagon_641025_in_freightliner_green_with_track_panel_carriers/stockdetail.aspx

A Bachmann BDA (which is a bit shorter) now has a recommended retail price of £44.99 - https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/br-bda-bogie-bolster-br-bauxite-(tops)-[w]/38-154

I agree that it seems a lot of money compared to a decade ago, but that seems to be the going rate these days.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

How much do you want to pay? 

The Hattons FEA Track panel carrier is £50, which is a wagon with similar proportions - https://www.hattons.co.uk/469461/hattons_originals_h4_feae_005a_fea_e_intermodal_wagon_641025_in_freightliner_green_with_track_panel_carriers/stockdetail.aspx

A Bachmann BDA (which is a bit shorter) now has a recommended retail price of £44.99 - https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/br-bda-bogie-bolster-br-bauxite-(tops)-[w]/38-154

I agree that it seems a lot of money compared to a decade ago, but that seems to be the going rate these days.

Whilst I agree with you, I probably would of priced this around £40? yes fair enough these days models are giher priced because of detail and manufacturing costs, just seemd a bit high to me, and when considering you can buy 3 Cambrian kits and probably still have enough to source at some some of the wheels, bearings ,couplings and transfers

NL

• Funny 1

The Cambrian kits will always be a cheaper option, but I've never been able to build a wagon that size that's square.  Ultimately, I've wanted someone to make these ready-to-run for quite some time, so although I agree that I'd have preferred them to be priced closer to £40, I'll still be purchasing some once the more modern bogie variant becomes available.  I just hope that the price doesn't rise too much further in the interim.

• Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, steveb860 said:

i take it you have knowledge of the costs involved in bringing this wagon to market for you to be able to query the price ?

Im sure most of it is justified, as ive seen  in earlier posts, they do have a die-cast chassis

NL

55 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

The Cambrian kits will always be a cheaper option, but I've never been able to build a wagon that size that's square.  Ultimately, I've wanted someone to make these ready-to-run for quite some time, so although I agree that I'd have preferred them to be priced closer to £40, I'll still be purchasing some once the more modern bogie variant becomes available.  I just hope that the price doesn't rise too much further in the interim.

Yes thats the only downside of kits is the assembly, not out of my abilities personally as per say and at least with the Flangeway RTR version it does save all work

NL

1 hour ago, NickL2008 said:

NL

Hi,

Sadly, it's a sign of the times. The costs involved in this project have increased significantly and with having a full diecast chassis, it adds to the cost. Had we have gone with a plastic version, we may have been able to make it cheaper, however the running quality would be poor. 

Best, Rich

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Whilst I agree with you, I probably would of priced this around £40? yes fair enough these days models are giher priced because of detail and manufacturing costs, just seemd a bit high to me, and when considering you can buy 3 Cambrian kits and probably still have enough to source at some some of the wheels, bearings ,couplings and transfers

NL

I've had a couple of the Cambrian kits, and whilst they're a decent kit to build (prefer the Sturgeon though), they're understandably very light on their feet, which is fine if you model them with a load helping the weight, but there's no obvious place to hide a significant enough ballast weight on them, I tried between the trusses, but it was too obvious so binned the idea. In fact I sold my small collection off shortly after the Flangeway announcement gathered pace, it's no particular fault of the kit, just I couldn't get them to work unloaded.

These Flangeway releases are very nice indeed, but for me their clearly biggest attribute is the weight the diecast chassis gives, which obviously comes at a premium.

I might not be alone in saying that if they were mainly plastic, but cheaper, I probably wouldn't have bought any.

• RMweb Premium
On 17/01/2021 at 19:02, Richard Barnett said:

And to get an idea of what our more modern version will look like, here’s a teaser... 

Note, this is only a mock up and not our actual bogie as they are still being tooled. 

B16B9C51-A001-43DA-BDFC-F33C5C2E9F97.jpeg

Any considerations for tooling up the 8ft plateback bogies also Rich?

It does make one wonder about the price elasticity of demand.

£49.99 may be reaching the top end of what most folks are willing to pay for a flat wagon.

There will be a hidden price curve of the market and if one applies logical obviously a price of £1000 per wagon would result in almost zero sales.

It is generally speaking a seller's wish to maximise profit and sell the maximum number of units at the minimum cost. 

I do wonder if we are reaching a point at which any much further rises in model prices would see a drop off in demand thus affecting profitability.

If costs (continue to) rise to the point where demand starts to fall, we start to head towards an unsustainable market which will inevitably contract and lead to less models being produced.

Economics has harsh realities which affect our hobby and post lockdown with greater demands on our disposable income which could itself be diminished, it is not impossible to see a crash of the model market with resultant causalities.

Fingers crossed the above proves wrong!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/01/2021 at 21:02, Richard Barnett said:

Hi all,

The variants produced include Engineers Black, Olive Green and Engineers Yellow. 

Due to the diecast nature of the chassis, we had to make a compromise when it came to the tensioners. Therefore they feature on all variants given most of the models that will be produced of the Salmons will be from the late 70's onwards.

I note the packaging comment above and I know this is being resolved following today's email and so on. :) 

Finally, we are currently in tooling for the ASF bogie to enable versions from the 90's onwards. An announcement will be made on these in due course. 

All can be ordered from www.footplate.co.uk 

Best, Rich

Black Edit.jpg

Olive Edit.jpg

Yellow Edit.jpg

From a personal point of view, I'm glad not all manufacturers follow your logic!

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Opelsi said:

It does make one wonder about the price elasticity of demand.

£49.99 may be reaching the top end of what most folks are willing to pay for a flat wagon.

There will be a hidden price curve of the market and if one applies logical obviously a price of £1000 per wagon would result in almost zero sales.

It is generally speaking a seller's wish to maximise profit and sell the maximum number of units at the minimum cost. 

I do wonder if we are reaching a point at which any much further rises in model prices would see a drop off in demand thus affecting profitability.

If costs (continue to) rise to the point where demand starts to fall, we start to head towards an unsustainable market which will inevitably contract and lead to less models being produced.

Economics has harsh realities which affect our hobby and post lockdown with greater demands on our disposable income which could itself be diminished, it is not impossible to see a crash of the model market with resultant causalities.

Fingers crossed the above proves wrong!

Only 22 left..

https://footplate.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=212_437&products_id=6728

someone is buying them.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

From a personal point of view, I'm glad not all manufacturers follow your logic!

Mike.

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

only 19 left now... of the most popular variant.

Tooling for the most popular versions is surely the most practical option ?

Since covid started Ive seen more Salmon wagons than railtours... ive socially distanced myself away from passenger trains, even at remote railway bridges !!!  
Salmon wagons are on Southern Ballast workings every weekend.

Edited by adb968008

Well I only said 'May be reaching' (elasticity of demand).

Question is to those buying, what is you price elasticity (how much would you pay for one)?

I have three but would not have paid much more for them.

I didn't buy the Olivia's bogie tanks, until they fell in price through Hattons as they were past my pricing point I was willing to pay.

Anyway - they are lovely wagons and I hope you enjoy them as do I.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Richard Barnett said:

And all manufacturers do make compromises... 

Best, Rich 

Agreed Richard, a necessary evil, I don't have a problem with that.

It's skewed logic I struggle with. Based on your assumption, those of us, me included, modelling the pre 1980 or so period wouldn't have much if any RTR rolling stock.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That's a lot of salmon sold quick - there was over 400 of each showing when i looked last week (i think).  Good job Richard / Footplate team - am hopeful this will continue to encourage you to release further forgotten prototypes!  

(my order placed)

M

1 hour ago, Matt said:

That's a lot of salmon sold quick - there was over 400 of each showing when i looked last week (i think).  Good job Richard / Footplate team - am hopeful this will continue to encourage you to release further forgotten prototypes!  

(my order placed)

M

We have plans... ;)

Lovely model mine arrived this afternoon and had a quick look out of the box and packaging in between doing work :D. I got a yellow air-braked version to eventually go on my layout one day. Well worth the price imho when you compare to other similar bogie flat wagons from other manufacturers and that diecast chassis certainly helps.

Cheers Paul

On 18/01/2021 at 19:56, NickL2008 said:

NL

I agree - £50 for what seems like a very basic wagon seems a tad excessive with A/S selling highly detailed carriages for £45. 

Graham

• Like 1

Before anyone mentions filling the holes because they don't want to use the stanchions...they appear to be shaped like the prototype on the model, in which case they are still in place on the real wagons, often with grass growing in them!

Jo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Occasional poster here.

Each to their own but for £50 a wagon I’m afraid I’m very disappointed when mine have arrived and I’ve ran the ruler over them alongside the prototype diagram on the Barrowmore site.

There seems to be a bit of the wagon length missing:

around 10mm missing from the bogie centres

around 20mm missing from the length over the headstock

Basically to put that in context you can’t get a scale 60 foot panel on the wagon without it overhanging the buffers.

Back to Cambrian kits for me. 

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1