Salmon Wagon updates

10 hours ago, freightliner_bond_57007 said:

There seems to be a bit of the wagon length missing:

around 10mm missing from the bogie centres

around 20mm missing from the length over the headstock

If 20mm is missing from the Salmon, that would make it no more than an over-length BDA. I've stuck to the Cambrian kits as £50 per model is a bit steep just to strip, respray and modify it into an Osprey. 

I don't doubt your findings, but being a toolmaker apprentice I can't imagine a tooling error as catastrophic as being 20mm out given the precision measuring equipment such as a Stiefelmayer that are available today. If the tooling had been made to the exact 60ft specification (measuring solebar length) then the tooling would be wrong anyway. 

Given Flangeway are experienced in manufacturing from the Snowplough, it does question what happened with your example. Tooling is always made larger than the model to counteract the contraction rate of the metal as it solidifies. On the assumption that the production material was a Zinc based white metal alloy as is common in the hobby, the tooling would have to be 2.5% larger. And even if the tooling was to wagon spec of 240mm on the solebar, -2.5% would only make the model 6mm under size. 

I'm very intrigued.

46 minutes ago, Bearwood West Yard said:

Given Flangeway are experienced in manufacturing from the Snowplough, it does question what happened with your example.

The Flangeway Snowplow (and Mermaid for that matter) weren't without their problems either.

Jon

Edited by jonhall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

'When looking into the drawings for my YKA Osprey conversions - it turns out that the mounting holes for the upper stanchions are slotted to take into account that there are two widths to the floor for Salmons..........

Having said that - the two widths are 8' and 7'10", equivalent to 0.667mm in 4mm scale. Is that really worth worrying about? Will anyone actually notice? IMO - no.

Cheers,

Mick'

No Mick - too busy wondering where the missing 20mm is!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some of the more modern variants when they come out with the ASF bogies to convert to Ospreys. Having seen the rather large discrepancy to the length of the wagon, unless that’s corrected on those, I will not be buying a rake after all. Thanks to Alan for sharing his measurements and comparison to the Cambrian kit.

Cheers

Mark

58 minutes ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

I was hoping to get some of the more modern variants when they come out with the ASF bogies to convert to Ospreys. 

If you're still planning on converting some Ospreys but from Cambrian's C88 kits Mark, I have initial samples of the middle stanchion and end trusses being 3D printed at the moment. I plan on running a production batch around Feb/March time providing the samples come back good. If they would help, I will be posting updates in my workbench thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

I’ve seen Alan’s photo of the Cambrian and Flangeway models side by side. It’s been designed 20mm too short. Let’s wait to see what Flangeway say.

cheers

Shane

Hi Shane.

Any chance of sharing the photo on here?

• RMweb Premium

Based on the BR weight diagrams for Salmons, the prototype dimensions are:

Bogie centres 45'

Over headstocks 62'

Over buffers 65' or 65'5" (depending on buffer type) 

In 4mm, those equate to

Bogie centres 180mm

Over headstocks 248mm

Over buffers 260mm or 262mm (rounded up to the nearest mm) 

How does the model compare, can someone measure one up and report back, please? 

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 2

I'm very disappointed by this news, as I've been looking forward to these since they were first announced several years ago.  Looking at the photograph above with the Flangeway model sitting adjacent to a Cambrian kit, it looks as though the missing length is spread throughout the length of the wagon, which means that the overall proportions look okay - it's just the model seems to be to a scale of something like 1:83 rather than 1:76.

I was hoping to buy several of the more recent models with ASF bogies and load them up with track panels, but if they are too short to accommodate scale length panels, then I may have to reconsider my purchase plans.

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

Based on the BR weight diagrams for Salmons, the prototype dimensions are:

How does the model compare, can someone measure one up and report back, please? 

Unfortunately if you were hoping for accidental HO for Dounreay, you will be disappointed - its not that either :diablo_mini: its more or less midway between HO/OO by my reckoning. Airfix got round this dilemma by putting HO/OO on the Interfrigo kit box, but that was in 1962...

Jon

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Very disappointing.

If this is not an error I wonder what the logic is. The only one I can think off is to negotiate first radius curves but I doubt it. There are many RTR coaches of similar or longer length.

14 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

Very disappointing.

If this is not an error I wonder what the logic is. The only one I can think off is to negotiate first radius curves but I doubt it. There are many RTR coaches of similar or longer length.

I hope this isn't a deliberate choice, that sort of thing hasn't been acceptable for decades, and I've been very critical of manufacturers planning to cut corners, before the model is manufactured.

However I fear its a cock up, and once the products have turned up in the UK it must be completely demoralising for them to discover a boo boo like this, because there is nothing they can do to put it right and (if it is a boo boo) my heart goes out to them. 

Jon

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Hugely disappointing to hear this, and I feel a bit of a mug now for singing the model's praises so highly. I'd sold off all but one of my Cambrian Salmons, which was damaged, and didn't even think to compare the two as they looked right (to my eye atleast) out the box, but having dug the Cambrian out, and compared them, that's quite a shocking disparity! (assuming the Cambrian is correct)

I've 18 of these, and wished to model some with scale track panels, quite gutted to hear about this, especially after having sunk over £900 into them :( 

IMG-7160-Medium.jpg

IMG-7161-Medium.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

18 minutes ago, Foden said:

Hugely disappointing to hear this, and I feel a bit of a mug now for singing the model's praises so highly. I'd sold off all but one of my Cambrian Salmons, which was damaged, and didn't even think to compare the two as they looked right (to my eye atleast) out the box, but having dug the Cambrian out, and compared them, that's quite a shocking disparity! (assuming the Cambrian is correct)

I've 18 of these, and wished to model some with scale track panels, quite gutted to hear about this, especially after having sunk over £900 into them :( 

IMG-7160-Medium.jpg

IMG-7161-Medium.jpg

Wow that is shorter !!

Well im glad I held off, I was consdiering buying some, but with that reduced length it is a bit puzzling as to why? suddenly my query regarding the price doesnt seem so bad?

I do wish footplate / Flangeway sucess in selling these, but now with this knowledge, Ill be sticking to the Cambrian kits myself, Thankfully I'll only need 2-3 for my layout so the price wont seem too bad, plus on the upside another wagon to wreck , destroy, Model during the lockdown

NL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BR Blue said:

If this is not an error I wonder what the logic is. 

... so you can fit an extra wagon in the fiddle yard ! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I suspect that it's simply an error. 

Looking at @Foden's photographs, it looks like most of the missing length is actually in the section between the ends of the underframe trusses and the buffers, which means that it's not even a 1:83 scale wagon.  The length of the underframe trusses look similar between the Cambrian and Flangeway models.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Dungrange said:

... so you can fit an extra wagon in the fiddle yard ! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I suspect that it's simply an error. 

Looking at @Foden's photographs, it looks like most of the missing length is actually in the section between the ends of the underframe trusses and the buffers, which means that it's not even a 1:83 scale wagon.  The length of the underframe trusses look similar between the Cambrian and Flangeway models.

I doubt it's an error, the bogies are similarly compressed.

You can fool some of the people some of the time etc etc.

Mike.