Salmon Wagon updates

6 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

You aren’t related to Viz’s Mr Logic are you by any chance..... ;-)

Unfortunately not familiar with said person.

I had to sit through years of economics in my youth, most of which was as you can tell was pretty dry and a lot of which I have found no further use for in life.

Rather be railway modelling TBH!   lol

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe i’m missing something but it sounds like those that kept their under-scale models are being treated as valued customers whilst anyone who returned theirs for a refund will just have to wait and see if there are any correct length ones left after replacing the under-scale ones.

• Informative/Useful 1

As I read it, new body decks are only being produced for those who kept the under-scale versions from the first batch.  Those individuals will receive a new scale length deck to which they can transfer the bogies etc from their 'shorty' to produce a scale length wagon.

The returned stock is now all being sold off at a reduced price to those who don't care that the wagon is too short, or who would like to use the wagon as a chassis for another purpose.

Those who want a scale length version but either didn't buy or didn't keep the 'shorty' will have to wait for a new batch.  In terms of the next batch, it seems that the priority is to produce wagons with the newer ASF bogies, so that means that those who wanted a Salmon in its original guise will probably have longer to wait.

I assume that it was identified that that the cost of producing additional new decks and the time taken for someone at Flangeway to disassemble the 'shorty' version, transfer the bogies etc across to the new deck and then repackage the model, simply wasn't worth the hassle, which is the reason that they have adopted the approach that they have.   It's okay for a buyer to have to do that with half a dozen wagons - it would be a real pain for someone at Flangeway to have to do that maybe 2,000 times to convert all of the returned models.

57 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

I assume that it was identified that that the cost of producing additional new decks and the time taken for someone at Flangeway to disassemble the 'shorty' version, transfer the bogies etc across to the new deck and then repackage the model, simply wasn't worth the hassle, which is the reason that they have adopted the approach that they have.   It's okay for a buyer to have to do that with half a dozen wagons - it would be a real pain for someone at Flangeway to have to do that maybe 2,000 times to convert all of the returned models.

It's quite easy to cost that - it's one bloke's time for however long - and if necessary you could hire somebody in to do it.  However you are still left with a couple of thousand short bodies that you have paid for.  What do you do with those - scrap them?  Sell the bodies without bogies - to whom?  No, they have chosen the course that makes sense given the problem, and not alienated those customers who are fussy about the right length.

Bit of an embarrassment to have made such a mistake before giving the go-ahead for the production run of course!

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe off piste question, but those getting replacement bodies..

will they get a replacement box that matches the right length too ?

otherwise they are stuck with an unboxed long one, and a short one in a box without bogies.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I thought the bogies were okay, just the bodies were underscale?

I ended up keeping mine in the end, hoping something like this would happen, which thankfully it did/will. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Small update from 18th December from Facebook link

Salmon wagon update...

First the slightly not so good news…

So, the Salmon wagons are now production in China following slot delays and will be being shipped to us shortly. We had hoped that they would be with us by the end of November, however it hasn’t been possible to achieve this target, but they’re in production so light is at the end of the tunnel.

Therefore the revised delivery date is early spring and we will therefore get all the replacement wagons out to our customers asap and therefore allow us to move forward.

Now the even better news….

We can now reveal the first EP of our newly tooled ASF bogie with roller bearings which can be found on Salmon wagons running on the network today. The arrival of the EP came as surprise to us, which we weren’t expecting until next year.

We have now been over the bogie with a fine toothcomb, including a ruler ( ha ha ) and can confirm that once a couple of small modifications have been made to stop 360 swivel and rocking, we will be able to launch these next year. More news on the running numbers will be released in the new year along with artwork.

Salmon with ASF bogies

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, lambiedg said:

Replacement vehicles arrived in Motherwell today.

Interesting - the website still only has the shorties listed. I would be interested in a review of the updated version!

Complete replacement YMA’s just arrived, they look from a brief inspection to be spot on. Brilliant service as I was just expecting just a replacement body and then rebuilding the wagons.

Well done Richard, thanks for getting this sorted out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Jub45565 said:

Interesting - the website still only has the shorties listed. I would be interested in a review of the updated version!

That's because the replacement batch was only being produced for those who bought the original 'shorties' and didn't return them for a refund.

For the rest of us, it's a case of wait for the next batch with ASF bogies or presumably a re-run of the first batch at a later date (for those looking for an early version).

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

That's because the replacement batch was only being produced for those who bought the original 'shorties' and didn't return them for a refund.

For the rest of us, it's a case of wait for the next batch with ASF bogies or presumably a re-run of the first batch at a later date (for those looking for an early version).

Incorrect.

The correct answer as posted on our Facebook page rather than here is:

SALMON 2.0

It’s here. It’s being dispatched.

Thank you everyone for their patience whilst we have rectified the issue with the Salmon wagon. Those who clinged onto their ‘shorty’ salmons will be finding a new full length version arriving at their doorstep very shortly.

Once we’ve covered all our replacements, we will be making the left over amount available for sale. Be warned, there won’t be many!

salmon.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 4