Salmon Wagon updates

4 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Two Cavalex BBAs sold for £210 on eBay the other day. I think that answers your question!

Sorry, I beg to differ.

There will always be outliers where a certain individual or very small number of purchasers will pay a premium.

One could in fact argue in this scenario that the market itself has contracted to very a minute and finite supply and that demand is greater than supply at this extreme end of the supply curve.

Further down the supply curve, and at a different point in time when supply was greater the market would not bear such high costs.

This can be demonstrated by the fact the although vendors will seek the maximum given sale price for stock, if that price you quote was the shop price, most buyers may not have bought units at that price. Hence to sell the stock the market price was indeed lower.

Oh and thanks for the funny face too! lol

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

Sorry, I beg to differ.

There will always be outliers where a certain individual or very small number of purchasers will pay a premium.

One could in fact argue in this scenario that the market itself has contracted to very a minute and finite supply and that demand is greater than supply at this extreme end of the supply curve.

Further down the supply curve, and at a different point in time when supply was greater the market would not bear such high costs.

This can be demonstrated by the fact the although vendors will seek the maximum given sale price for stock, if that price you quote was the shop price, most buyers may not have bought units at that price. Hence to sell the stock the market price was indeed lower.

Oh and thanks for the funny face too! lol

You aren’t related to Viz’s Mr Logic are you by any chance..... ;-)

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

You aren’t related to Viz’s Mr Logic are you by any chance..... ;-)

Unfortunately not familiar with said person.

I had to sit through years of economics in my youth, most of which was as you can tell was pretty dry and a lot of which I have found no further use for in life.

Rather be railway modelling TBH!   lol

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe i’m missing something but it sounds like those that kept their under-scale models are being treated as valued customers whilst anyone who returned theirs for a refund will just have to wait and see if there are any correct length ones left after replacing the under-scale ones.

• Informative/Useful 1

As I read it, new body decks are only being produced for those who kept the under-scale versions from the first batch.  Those individuals will receive a new scale length deck to which they can transfer the bogies etc from their 'shorty' to produce a scale length wagon.

The returned stock is now all being sold off at a reduced price to those who don't care that the wagon is too short, or who would like to use the wagon as a chassis for another purpose.

Those who want a scale length version but either didn't buy or didn't keep the 'shorty' will have to wait for a new batch.  In terms of the next batch, it seems that the priority is to produce wagons with the newer ASF bogies, so that means that those who wanted a Salmon in its original guise will probably have longer to wait.

I assume that it was identified that that the cost of producing additional new decks and the time taken for someone at Flangeway to disassemble the 'shorty' version, transfer the bogies etc across to the new deck and then repackage the model, simply wasn't worth the hassle, which is the reason that they have adopted the approach that they have.   It's okay for a buyer to have to do that with half a dozen wagons - it would be a real pain for someone at Flangeway to have to do that maybe 2,000 times to convert all of the returned models.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

I assume that it was identified that that the cost of producing additional new decks and the time taken for someone at Flangeway to disassemble the 'shorty' version, transfer the bogies etc across to the new deck and then repackage the model, simply wasn't worth the hassle, which is the reason that they have adopted the approach that they have.   It's okay for a buyer to have to do that with half a dozen wagons - it would be a real pain for someone at Flangeway to have to do that maybe 2,000 times to convert all of the returned models.

It's quite easy to cost that - it's one bloke's time for however long - and if necessary you could hire somebody in to do it.  However you are still left with a couple of thousand short bodies that you have paid for.  What do you do with those - scrap them?  Sell the bodies without bogies - to whom?  No, they have chosen the course that makes sense given the problem, and not alienated those customers who are fussy about the right length.

Bit of an embarrassment to have made such a mistake before giving the go-ahead for the production run of course!

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe off piste question, but those getting replacement bodies..

will they get a replacement box that matches the right length too ?

otherwise they are stuck with an unboxed long one, and a short one in a box without bogies.

• Funny 2

I thought the bogies were okay, just the bodies were underscale?

I ended up keeping mine in the end, hoping something like this would happen, which thankfully it did/will. 

Great to hear these are advancing, any idea when the ASF versions shall be released/available to pre-order? Very keen to build up a reasonable fleet of modern Salmons. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, jimwal said:

Good to know the length is now right. Has the truss structure been checked? The centre area looks long in proportion to the sloping ends.

Yes it has. There is a small difference but we are happy with it.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1