Midland 1F - Half and full cab

alexl102

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alexl102,

The full-cab/double-cab version as done by Bachmann, of a very limited type as it uses one of the less common versions; the version they have done is of the batch that included those built for the KWVR.  I think there have been two models, one each in LMS and BR liveries.  Note that most were reboilered at some point from 1924 changing their appearance to one that matches the model.  This means that the model is not suitable for all of the potential numbers in all of the liveries.

There have been more releases of the commoner single/half-cab model.

There have been a couple of threads about these that may help; try searching for 'Midland 1F'.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

Not knowledgeable about these, but I would imagine a full cab would not be a particularly difficult scratch build project in card or sheet brass.  I an going to have a go on a Wills GW 1854 pannier when I get the necessary round tuit in order to build a new chassis for it; the basic principles must be fairly similar.  You need to fabricate a new cab roof, and rear cab spectacle sheet with round windows; I reckon the etched brass protection rails that can be bought for panniers would be ok for a Johnson 1F.

• Like 1

It was just that the full cabs were on the shelves for ages as everyone wanted half cabs so they could see the cab detailing. So I assume they made more half cabs.

One here. They're not exactly rare.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/27604/Bachmann-31-435-oo-gauge-midland-class-1f-enclosed-cab-br-black-early-emblem-no-41726?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7rx-cLo6AIVD-vtCh01dw8dEAYYASABEgL3BvD_BwE

Jason