The Clockwork Orange in '77.....

As kid who spent every summer in Glasgow, I remember this with affection....

As one commuter said, Glasgow people had their own Hornby train set. For those.who didn't see this Victorian relic, enjoy the size of the trains and the width of the island platforms....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Well remembered . My mum used to go to a dress shop in Patrick which meant we took the underground round to Kelvinbridge from St Enochs . As a wee boy it was a revelation and I remember rebuilding my Tri-any railway to have an island platform  and two coach trains either side .   I remember the newly revamped one opening in 1980 . Truly the clockwork orange , as the new Metro Cammell trains were bright orange . Now we are going to have the next iteration with driverless trains and doors on platforms . Progress !   It still has a quite distinctive smell 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A timely post.  I used to go out with a guy from Glasgow and the first time I went up to see him I insisted that we go on the underground, or "shugglie (not sure how you spell words in Glaswegian dialect) orange" as he called it.  This would have been seven years ago.  I still fondly recall the narrow platforms and dated (retro?) decor of some stations.  I also remember the section in the Glasgow museum on the riverside that was devoted to the underground system.

Sadly we are no longer together, and even more sadly he passed away at the weekend as a result of the current virus outbreak.

Incidentally, the word "shugglie" means "shaky" and is therefore very appropriate for the underground system.

• Friendly/supportive 5

'Shoogly' would be the word in question. It certainly is a system all of it's own. I loved seeing the old cars with the manually operated lever to grip the drive cable in the museum.

My most recent experience on the clockwork orange was during the Commonwealth Games when it was so crowded i had to stoop so the doors didn't squash my head. I heard someone say 'just showve in, everyone will move up' Fortunately when I shouted back 'no they won't' and to their eternal credit someone then said 'I think we'll wait for the next one'.

• Friendly/supportive 1