HO SBB depot layout Abgestumpft Einfältig

bantam61668

today has seen me make start on detailing the trackbed. I have fitted cable ducting and dummy point motors which has made a massive difference to the look of my Peco points. Next onto fitting ground signals and a few other details then that should be one of the two boards more or less finished except for the catenary

DSC_8356 DSC_8357

• Like 2

This weekend has seen the addition of ground signals (still to be wired) and some other small details around the front of the depot along with  a new buffer stop on the headshunt. The signals are from Schneider with 3D printed backs to hide the backs of the LEDs and wires that show as purchased. This makes them far too deep but I think it is still an improvement. The buffer stop is also 3D printed from Shapeways.

DSC_8383 DSC_8384 DSC_8385

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Recently been working on the hard standing around my turntable which has been a pain to do. Made from lightweight filler then painted and weathered. 
Pictures of it in progress with lots of sanding still to do and finished with most of my heritage fleet present.

Now to build a semi-roundhouse to hide all the hard work...

50228056776_683dd972e2_k.jpgDSC_9430 by Bantam61668

Edited by bantam61668
Spelling
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

There is another way of doing Overheads on a turntable - you could do it the same way as they do Trowse Swing Bridge at Norwich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trowse_Bridge

I seem to recall seeing something similar on a German (Marklin? Fleischmann?) traverser also

The solid rail can also sometimes be seen on overhead gantry cranes (though sometimes the section of track under the train is just not powered) with a solid rail that can be swung up to one side to allow loading or unloading by the crane. I assume that the solid rail becomes de-powered when it's swung out of the way so even if the crane cable touches it there would be no electric shock anywhere.

This person has created something similar 

Now that said, catenary spiders for turntables will always be more common because they don't have so much potential for failures plus you don't need to supply power to the turntable itself 

Edited by DGO

• 1 month later...