CMR China clay tippler wagons

drduncan

Has anyone discovered/produced drawings of the CMR iron bodied China clay tippler wagons? Or discovered close up images that they can share? My mixed gauge 1890-2 layout Nampara will need about 12 or more of these tiny little wagons....

Any help gratefully received.

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...

Not seen a drawing for one have got a number of photos from different angles so using first principals you should be able to produce a drawing. I think that there might be two types. Dumb buffered at one end and sprung at the other and a more modern one with sprung buffers at each end.

I presume you have both of John Vaughan's books?

Marc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, drduncan said:

Marc,

Very many thanks. That 3/4 view is especially fine.  I’m sure those images will be exceptionally useful.

Duncan

That book and its companion volume West Country China Clay Trains are, in my view, essential reference works if you are modelling the china clay lines or the railways of mid-Cornwall more generally.

There aren't many good photos out there with China clay wagons in. I have a drawing from the Matthews private owner wagon book of a board gauge clay wagon but I have never seen a photo.

Marc

The prototype 3D print!

3E239764-BA98-4B83-88D0-BFC6C9418130.jpeg.94db6396f0083e00cd692f233717be6c.jpeg
The W irons are D & S. I think the buffers at the non tippling end should be self contained ones and I think I’ll modify GW self contained ones.  Brake gear will be butchered coopercraft from the spares box.

For the mark 2 I’m going to try extruding up the end door strapping to meet a 0.5mm brass wire hinge.

I’m also going to do a later version with buffers at both ends which will have a slightly different side brace at the door end as per some prototype images.

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
Typo
  • Like 2

Hi Duncan

It looks very good.

Couple of questions

1, what printer are you using?

I ordered a elegoo Saturn yesterday.

2, what wall thickness are you printing the sides at?

Marc

9 minutes ago, Furness Wagon said:

Hi Duncan

It looks very good.

Couple of questions

1, what printer are you using?

I ordered a elegoo Saturn yesterday.

2, what wall thickness are you printing the sides at?

Marc

It is a Form labs form 2.  Sides are 0.5mm (I think) But only because it’s such a small wagon.   The longer the side the ticker due to possible warping.

D

I would normally is 0.48mm etched brass for steel wagons. I  did wonder if it would be stronger at a larger scale. shapeways recommends 0.8mm as minimum thickness. This could be a commercial reason not an engineering one.

Marc

• 1 year later...

How is the project going?

I've started working on Carbean in S7 so I'm going to try to produce some in 7mm versions.

I have found a set of dimensions for a CMR stone wagon of the same vintage and I was wondering if they were the same size?

Marc

Hi Mark!

I just need to add springs and axle boxes and they are ready for the paint shop. I decided to add brake gear and lever as part of the design rather than use butchered bits from the spares box.

98BBA60D-6B5C-46B3-8F61-81C31542A85F.jpeg.4dfe50894075387c6fac28a7b728640b.jpeg

Regards,

Duncan

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I believe it is one on the ones shipped to Australia! 🤣🤣

But seriously it looks very good. What wheel base and LOH did you settle for?  Did you use the dimensions from the stone wagon?

Marc

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MarcD said:

I believe it is one on the ones shipped to Australia! 🤣🤣

But seriously it looks very good. What wheel base and LOH did you settle for?  Did you use the dimensions from the stone wagon?

Marc

I’ll have to check my notes and get back to you.

D