Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Your favourite prototype photos from your personal archive.

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

Is that first vehicle the prototype GUV (with 2 doors not 3)?

Ooh good spot, that would be 86500 then.  The train is at least Load 12 (there may be another coach or it could be the 125 in the platform behind), which is impressive.

DSC_0070.jpg.13126ab82cc4db4d9c2d0ab5c77f1739.jpg

1. I think that big ports are my favourite place to go and look for railways. You can spend days in places like Antwerp and Portland, just driving around public roads finding both mainline and industrial locos at work. 9/11 has meant that some areas that were once easily accessible are now less so but in general no-one will be that bothered by your presence. This is shot is one Peninsular Terminal's (essentially a shunting contractor) EMD SW1200s shunting at a Rhodia Chemicals site in the north of the port of Portland in November 2012. Despite appearances this was taken about 1 o'clock in the afternoon and not just before dusk.

DSC_0051.jpg.60d4c33c201df41cb5bbd1a737a1a33b.jpg

2. Technically not a great photo but its my only Howard Carter moment.  An Orenstein & Koppel broad gauge fireless loco at a jute factory in Howrah, West Bengal. It had been last used in the early 1980s, put in its shed and forgotten about. I found out it was there and got permission to go and see it. Just after this it was moved to an engineering works in Calcutta and converted to be operated from compressed air rather than steam. As far as I know it is still at work there. It taken from outside the shed is what my avatar is. November 2008.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well - what do we have here? A viaduct, with a single line stretching into the distance beneath. Nothing remarkable.

IHD_2287.jpeg.205d91d014fc8344c9bb07292e7c87d5.jpeg

When I took that pic in September 2018, it was, in effect, an item off my bucket-list. I had first seen a pic of that viaduct in about 1963, in a copy of European Railways magazine, a slim publication in small format - and probably small circulation! The angle was different, but essentially where the trees are to the left was a 750mm-gauge line with an 0-4-4-0 sitting coupled to a short passenger train. It would at some stage set off through the same arch as the standard gauge to its terminus about 10 km away. The caption said something like "Hetzdorf, on the 750mm-gauge line to Eppendorf". This was East Germany, which then seemed to a teenager about as accessible as the Moon. The narrow-gauge line crossed the standard gauge in the foreground to a quite large interchange yard off to the right, but was increasingly irrelevant and closed in the late '60s. The viaduct had been part of the main line from Dresden to Karl Marx Stadt, and has about 14 arches, so is quite something. Nowadays it is a footpath, I think, the line having been diverted onto a straighter alignment via a particularly unattractive modern bridge a few km away. 

The surreality of standing on that platform with Sherry, admiring the viaduct, was and will remain, quite striking.  

• Like 6

G'Day Folks

My all time favorite picture that I have taken. Is a loco being steam cleaned at Peterborough steam shed (South Australia) in 1969. Garratt No 400, with another class member to the right and a T class 4-8-0 in the background.

manna

400 at Peterborough 1969.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my all time favourite photos. Taken in a hard class sleeper in China in 1994. Hard class equals 3rd class in our language. I love the look or contempt or is it resignation on the face of the middle class man in the suit and tie.

DSC_0049.JPG.0fc60aca5f660241114a1775be6627b2.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Picking my favourite photo is a bit like choosing my favourite film or song - it can vary.

That said, this one is certainly up there, taken at Minami near Hiroshima in September 2019.

IMG_2201.JPG.3ab31dfc9fa99c849dbf1a12420b48a8.JPG

Transition time on JR West, with one of the new E227 'Redwing' set passing by one of their class 115 predecessors. I must admit I do rather like the all-over yellow livery.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
Missing word!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I caught this Bosnian freight train between Mostar and Sarajevo through the window of a coach I was travelling on, back in September 2017. Managed to get a fairly sharp picture of the trains, especially bearing in mind the coach I was travelling on was doing about 50 mph...

Electric.jpg.30e328f9436537b0e921830792479087.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Borjormi, Georgia in 2000.  This is Stalin's personal station close to some beautiful forested and ski-ing areas.  The multiple unit is about to leave for Tbilisi.  There is an interchange with a metre gauge overhead electric line - unfortunately I was working and couldn't get any pictures of the stock there.

DSCF0185.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Picking my favourite photo is a bit like choosing my favourite film or song - it can vary.

That said, this one is certainly up there, taken at Minami near Hiroshima in September 2019.

IMG_2201.JPG.3ab31dfc9fa99c849dbf1a12420b48a8.JPG

Transition time on JR West, with one of the new E227 'Redwing' set passing by one their class 115 predecessors. I must admit I do rather like the all-over yellow livery.

Those are immaculate!

Especially considering one of them is a "predecessor"!

Kev.

• Agree 2