The Saltport Saga

14 hours ago, Down_Under said:

I wonder if the Andrew Barclay was based on one of the ‘Fife Specials’ which had a 7ft WB rather than the 6ft that is associated with the majority of the 14” and 16” class

16” Fife special - note longer wheelbase and longer tank than “normal”

image.jpeg.4d9594a26c4b67343ee16d1524c4118d.jpeg

[borrowed from https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/andrew-barclay-works-no-2260-ncb-no-23-0-4-0st/ ]

image.jpeg.b6c240833a853391b696749dcdd54bff.jpeg

[https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/works-no-2261-fife-flyer-no-6-0-4-0st/]

The model has a 7' wheelbase, and Kingdom Kits were based in Fife, so I think you have cracked it.

You don't know what the wheel size was, do you?

• Like 1

For once, I'm between loco. projects so I've found time to get on with the warehouse I started a year ago....

The windows are by Ambis Engineering, with brick infill panels using those flexible brick sheets Wills make for the inside of viaduct arches. Thin and easy to cut but with good brick definition, and running bond, which I think these panels would be.

I still need to finish the back of the structure, paint the inside matt black, glaze it, put the roof on, and several other things, but I'm finally on the home straight. Because of its size it has proved impossible to photograph without including roof beams, spiders' webs, etc. There's an enormous amount of 60 thou plasticard in that building, but still I need more. Model shop visit this week I think !

DSC_0101.JPG.583f4b2b1625cfbe900cfa991d16cbd5.JPG

DSC_0084.JPG.0582723fc3c1b6624fafffe2bfd51e32.JPG

Edited by Barclay
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I absolutely love the scale of that warehouse, Stuart. Fantastic! I have a back of the envelope plan (set in northern Italy, in H0 - don't ask...) that involves grain traffic and a backdrop consisting of a great big set of silos. These things have a real presence and are so typical of rail-served industry. Like trees, we tend to make these too small so I really admire the boldness of the execution here.

Adam

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sandhole said:

IMG_20180517_140643.jpg.26e1f91cc655f0f543ba99b7ff9d4697.jpg

Once again, you are the only other person to run one of these.
Mike did the paint job. I know, now, this is the wrong Barclay, but it was the only game in town. Runs beautifully.
It's going to get a scarey dazzle paint job for the hot metal part of Manchester Steel.

The other reason I love this, is because it's a brutal beast. A real Glasgow Kiss of a loco.
I think, when I repaint it, I'll put low buffer beams for ladle wagons.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Adam said:

I absolutely love the scale of that warehouse, Stuart. Fantastic! I have a back of the envelope plan (set in northern Italy, in H0 - don't ask...) that involves grain traffic and a backdrop consisting of a great big set of silos. These things have a real presence and are so typical of rail-served industry. Like trees, we tend to make these too small so I really admire the boldness of the execution here.

Adam

The American laser cut kit by ITLA Scale Models that I shamelessly copied used as inspiration is the same size in HO scale. I'm glad I didn't scale it up !

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 10/04/2021 at 20:37, Sandhole said:

Once again, you are the only other person to run one of these.

Not necessarily (depending on who 'the other' is of course).  Here's mine -

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106477-another-one-started-kingdom-kits-barclay-16/

Must do something about the chimney..............................

Eventually:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A further Kingdom Kits Barclay here, though it's now been moved on to someone else who can enjoy it. 

DSC02401.JPG.ae0ae055ce6d07aab28dd2bd1f49c2cc.JPG

As you can see... I attempted to disguise the dubious ride height with block buffers. 

Paul A. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 5050 said:

Not necessarily (depending on who 'the other' is of course).  Here's mine -

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106477-another-one-started-kingdom-kits-barclay-16/

Must do something about the chimney..............................

Eventually:rolleyes:

Also remembered that a mate of mine in the Wakefield club built one some time ago in (I think) EM.

With all this talk of poor kits of Barclays, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mercian's.

The latest development with mine (An early 14") that caused me to put it to one side and walk away for the umpteenth time is discovering the underside of the boiler is too short.  I discovered that error after I'd installed it as well as building and fitting a motor and gearbox that mistakenly assumed the boiler was the correct length.  Inevitably, the gearbox will foul a replacement boiler of the correct length.

This follows on from the cut-out in the footplate and the slidebar bracket that both appear to be intended for 5'3" gauge, the cut-out in the cab front that was clearly intended to accommodate a much bigger firebox and backplate, multiple holes for brake hangers (none of which are in quite the right place) and castings that are either wrong or too mis-shaped to be useable.

There were probably more problems, but I've been putting the kit aside and walking away - sometimes for months on end - for so long the details are lost in the mists of time.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, mike morley said:

With all this talk of poor kits of Barclays, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mercian's.

The latest development with mine (An early 14") that caused me to put it to one side and walk away for the umpteenth time is discovering the underside of the boiler is too short.  I discovered that error after I'd installed it as well as building and fitting a motor and gearbox that mistakenly assumed the boiler was the correct length.  Inevitably, the gearbox will foul a replacement boiler of the correct length.

This follows on from the cut-out in the footplate and the slidebar bracket that both appear to be intended for 5'3" gauge, the cut-out in the cab front that was clearly intended to accommodate a much bigger firebox and backplate, multiple holes for brake hangers (none of which are in quite the right place) and castings that are either wrong or too mis-shaped to be useable.

There were probably more problems, but I've been putting the kit aside and walking away - sometimes for months on end - for so long the details are lost in the mists of time.

Put the build on this forum, we will all have a good laugh, sorry, supply encouragement !

I’m afraid that I once started to build a Mercian Barclay kit and never finished it, for similar reasons. 

With the Mercian Hudswell Clarke I’m currently building, I suspect I will end up using fewer than half the parts supplied in the kit. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

A few years ago 247, when still in Mozzer Models mode, managed to finish one, but only by doing some very 'interesting' things to the chassis (dog legs in piston rods IIRC).  That was in 00 and when I mentioned to him that I was attempting one in EM he became quite animated and stated emphatically that it was unbuildable in EM or P4.

Has anyone else ever succeeded in building one in any gauge?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I have built 3 Mercian Barclays. A 16 inch in OO, one in O, and a 14 inch on O. I have managed to blot out most of the builds from my memory but I still get flashbacks. :lol:

OO, with my own conversion to open cab, as on Bilston steelworks locos.

BarclayFinished-012.jpg.a0d30894399eae66cf970cf8bd032e9c.jpg

ABHE-007.jpg.a2a4d85d93cce0fd34d7e4a1e4d87c20.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

3 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

I have one of these and a Pecket 0-6-0 to build.
I may well have a crack.:lol:

Good luck! A problem shared is a problem halved. I'm sure we can help heckle from our own painful experiences.

My Barclay was a 7mm scale one, I've probably still got the box of partially-complete frustration somewhere.

Just now, Mol_PMB said:

Good luck! A problem shared is a problem halved. I'm sure we can help heckle from our own painful experiences.

My Barclay was a 7mm scale one, I've probably still got the box of partially-complete frustration somewhere.

Thanks.
Mine are 4mm.
I was talking to Dave/Ruston at Woodhead last Saturday.

• Like 1

Let's start a Bad Barclay build-off thread !

If you all build your rubbish kits, I'll throw mine into the mix with a rebuild and we'll see what we can produce. We'll show those hapless kit makers that however bad their products are there is someone, somewhere, foolish enough to build them. That'll show 'em ! Probably.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Barclay said:

Let's start a Bad Barclay build-off thread !

If you all build your rubbish kits, I'll throw mine into the mix with a rebuild and we'll see what we can produce. We'll show those hapless kit makers that however bad their products are there is someone, somewhere, foolish enough to build them. That'll show 'em ! Probably.

I found this under a dozen years worth of dust! The contents of the box do not look entirely complete so I may need to do some more searching. Or perhaps I threw away some of the parts in frustration! 

Just out of interest I wonder if anywhere in Trafford Park had one of these? 

1D5C876C-83E2-4AF1-9F86-C5F8D6D32B28.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

SHT?

Swansea Harbour Trust?

Given what has been said about the quality of the kit, maybe the line was really the “Swansea Harbour & Industrial Tramway”, or something similar?

• Funny 2

No. 31 is an 0-6-0ST by the Avonside Engine Company. The loco. was built from the Agenoria kit (Now CSP?). Like Impetus it is an older design of kit but it went together very well. Desiring to get a decent drivetrain into it I made the boiler/tank unit detachable. A peg on the back of the tank plugs into the cab front and the unit is secured down with a bolt under the smokebox. This allowed a Branchlines Multibox and Mashima 1024 to be installed. This became my favourite motor for years - slim, smooth, and powerful. I still have 2 left but am saving them for loco's that really need that combination of assets ! The wheels are 3' 3" - I think they are Sharman as they would have been my 'go to' wheel at the time. This meant that the standard multibox was unsuitable as the final drive gear would have been too big, but Branchlines sold me a 'custom' version, as they did with the Barclay, with a smaller final drive gear and a ratio of about 64:1.

DSC_0091.JPG.452402d056d97cfcca9564d026f9ebd3.JPG

DSC_0093.JPG.8b34bfabd85f9cba59b40f76badca74a.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG.1d186c98fe6a6be86079946c246e3d60.JPG

Edited by Barclay
  • Like 15

A lovely model, great weathering too.

I've built three of these Agenoria Avonsides (nowadays available from CSP) and I would rate them as one of the most straightforward and "buildable" industrial loco kits out there...

Paul A. 

• Thanks 1