York Show 2022 (2021 - sadly now cancelled)

john new

• RMweb Gold

Thank you to all who purchased advance tickets for 2020 and have decided to hang onto them and use them for the 2021 Show. We look forward to seeing you over the Easter weekend, 3rd 4th & 5th April 2021.

These dates are now on our website, further information will be added over the coming months.

Update added 11 December 2020 - Latest update regarding COVID-19 and the 2021 Show 

It is with considerable regret that the Directors have made the decision to cancel the York Model Railway Show 2021. With the current coronavirus situation we consider that it will not be possible to ensure the health and wellbeing of participants or visitors at such an event even if circumstances start to improve by next Easter.

However, we have every intention of resurrecting the York Model Railway Show for 2022 with the expectation that the covid-19 pandemic problem will have stabilised or greatly improved within the next 15 months. We hope to be able to welcome you back to York for Easter 2022 (16/17/18th April).

For holders of Advance Tickets these will still be valid for 2022. However, if you would like a refund please bear with us while we make arrangements to implement a procedure and check back on the website after Christmas.

The pages across our website are currently being updated with this information.

Edited by john new
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Personal post, not an official Show press release:-

All I can add at this point is that the YMRS Board is aware, like everyone else, of the issues. Our first key milestone decision will be whether to reopen the ticket Box Office on 1 October or delay that. No decision on it has yet been determined but the first tentative discussions, and at this stage that is all they have been, have occurred.

Edited by john new
Grammar correction
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

47 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Judging by one or two posts in the Exhibition section i'm not holding my breath.

I am not sure what your post adds to the discussion, except to spread uncertainty by such an unhelpful and speculative comment.

It is an incredibly tough time for exhibition organizers who are having to make difficult decisions, and prompting them for an unnecessary response merely increases their workload.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Exhibition organisers are in a very difficult situation.

I like the idea of starting to plan things now. If all is well next Easter and the show can go ahead in some form, they are ahead of the game.

If things are still bad next Easter and they cannot proceed, they are no worse off next year than they were this year. It is no good sitting around in February next year, thinking "We wish we had organised a show for this year".

So I say well done for making a positive step.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bonafide said:

I am not sure what your post adds to the discussion, except to spread uncertainty by such an unhelpful and speculative comment.

It is an incredibly tough time for exhibition organizers who are having to make difficult decisions, and prompting them for an unnecessary response merely increases their workload.

I read the forum.

Unhelpful? - the exhibition threads were unfortunately mentioning cancellations well into 2021 (Stafford a big loss) although some even hopefully making fresh plans for 2022.

I did actually "like" (the OP) Mr New's positive post.

Apologies for posting content that you don't particularly like to read.

Ian

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Crisis Rail said:

I read the forum.

Unhelpful? - the exhibition threads were unfortunately mentioning cancellations well into 2021 (Stafford a big loss) although some even hopefully making fresh plans for 2022.

I did actually "like" (the OP) Mr New's positive post.

Apologies for posting content that you don't particularly like to read.

Ian

Like you, I particularly regret the loss of the Stafford show. Newly moved to the Midlands, I visited it for the first time this year and found it one of the best shows that I have been to in a long time.

Exhibitors & traders may have been reluctant to exhibit but the layout of the halls themselves should make a one-way system workable for visitors.

• Agree 2

On 16/08/2020 at 13:19, Joseph_Pestell said:

Exhibitors & traders may have been reluctant to exhibit but the layout of the halls themselves should make a one-way system workable for visitors.

But sadly the great British public have proven that one way systems in shops, high streets etc are not worth the sticky backed plastic they are made from. Mr & Mrs Joe are independently minded and do will wander, stop and change direction wherever they see fit. 

plus, how would all those back packs get on not being able to randomly stop and turn to take out the unsuspecting among us

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Again a personal view, not an official YMRS post.

What will stop many, probably most, exhibition venues re-opening will be nothing to do with how the exhibits are managed or the need to work out how to balance the books against reduced attendance numbers but the practical problem of ensuring safe ingress/egress routes for toilets and managing the control of numbers going in out of them. Think of the usual venues you attend, how would 2m, or even 1m, social distancing be practical to arrange with the narrow, and single, entrance doorways to most toilet blocks.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Latest update from the Show Board regarding COVID-19 and the 2021 Show

While we are working towards having the York Show over Easter in 2021, we do not feel that we should open for the sales of advanced tickets yet. It is hoped that we will be able to offer advance tickets sometime during January 2021 if the Racecourse venue is confident that it will be possible to offer the Show, as planned, over Easter. Those of you that have advance tickets from the 2020 Show please keep them safe. We will update the situation as things become clearer. 

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

No doubt the York Racecourse will be keeping a close eye on the St. Leger to see how that goes. It was going to be re-open to spectators but has just been declared a “Critical Incident” by Doncaster MBC, although that looks to be an administrative move so local Emergency and Logistical services co-ordinate. But if all goes well maybe York Racecourse will be in a better position to decide whether reopening is viable. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, AMJ said:

I presume that the exhibits will be mainly those who were scheduled for the 2020 event which was cancelled?

That is the plan that was adopted when 2020 was called off. The position remains as per our post of 5 September above.

• RMweb Gold

My routine check on the website today indicates it is running slowly. I am checking for a cause.

Update 1

Testing showed that as the site was loading normally on my I-pad, but nothing like as fast on my desktop Mac, the site was OK. All updates and plug-ins were, however, then checked and updated.

Update 2

Appears to be working normally now. 

Edited by john new
Post updated.

Just a quick update re the 2021 Show. We are awaiting further information from the venue and, of course, Boris J et al. We anticipate that we will, hopefully, be in a position to give a definitive answer about the 2021 Show in early January. 

Details will be posted on the website and, of course, on here. Please bear with us and ignore various comments like 'York has gone into lock down' etc. That is NOW not next Easter!!!!!

Watch this space.

Peter

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Latest update regarding COVID-19 and the 2021 Show 

It is with considerable regret that the Directors have made the decision to cancel the York Model Railway Show 2021. With the current coronavirus situation we consider that it will not be possible to ensure the health and wellbeing of participants or visitors at such an event even if circumstances start to improve by next Easter.

However, we have every intention of resurrecting the York Model Railway Show for 2022 with the expectation that the covid-19 pandemic problem will have stabilised or greatly improved within the next 15 months. We hope to be able to welcome you back to York for Easter 2022 (16/17/18th April).

For holders of Advance Tickets these will still be valid for 2022. However, if you would like a refund please bear with us while we make arrangements to implement a procedure and check back on the website after Christmas.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• john new changed the title to York Show 2022 (2021 - sadly now cancelled)
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/12/2020 at 16:08, john new said:

Latest update regarding COVID-19 and the 2021 Show 

A great shame but not unexpected and fully understandable. All being well we will be back in 2022, 

jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I think that it will probably be the autumn before we can realistically hope for exhibition life to begin to return.

It is sad to miss a second York show but entirely understandable and the right decision.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Disappointing but not unexpected and given the current outlook, entirely understandable given the timelines for the impact of the vaccines against the lead times for organising the show.

Having been to York every Easter bar one since 1987, it was one of the things I missed most over the year that 2020 wasn’t, I doubt next year will be much different, but there’s now greater cause for optimism that 2022 can take place without risk for what will be an unforgettable show. All credit to the team for their commitment to ensure the future of an iconic event, look forward to seeing you in 2022.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wishing  all our regulars a happy Christmas Day, let’s hope as we head into 2021 that there is an easing of this crisis.

Edited by john new
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

Only 22:30 so a bit early but a Happy New Year greeting to one and all from everyone on the organising team at YMRS.

Let's hope 2021 is an improvement over the last few months. Easter 2021 may be off but we are hoping to be back in full flow by Easter 2022.

Best of luck for all your modelling activities in the coming year - support the trade - buy local.

Edited by john new
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7