York Show 2022 (2021 - sadly now cancelled)

john new

• RMweb Gold

Press release – York Show 2021 & 2022

The show will go on… just not in 2021.

It is with sadness that the organisers of one of the country’s largest, and longest standing, model railway shows, The York Model Railway Show, has been cancelled in 2021 due to the ongoing Covid pandemic.

Held at Easter each year, the Show normally attracts more than 7,000 visitors each year, and with around 130 trade stands, exhibitors, society stands, normally makes the Racecourse venue in York a busy venue for each of the three days of the show.

Recognising the ongoing situation, Mal Scrimshaw, Show Manager, explained some of the reasons for the early decision. “We know that we have a hugely popular and busy show each year, but with many of us in the hobby having been touched by Covid in some way, we have regrettably had to take the decision to cancel next year’s show.

“We know that many people look forward to the show, and it marks a point in the year where they meet friends and family, both inside and outside of the hobby. But until this virus is under control and we can all lead lives a little closer to normal, meet friends and be part of crowds, the only responsible decision is to cancel to preserve the show for future years.”

Work is already starting on the planning for the 2022 show at Easter on 16-18 April.

If you have bought advance tickets for the 2020 or 2021 show, these will still be valid for the 2022 Show. However, should you wish to receive a refund, organisers of the show are sorting out a practical way. Details of how to apply for a refund will be published on the website in the coming months.

“We are incredibly sad to have cancelled both the 2020 and 2021 shows,” continued Mal. “A lot of work goes on behind the scenes to put shows like this on, all done with the good will of a fantastic group of volunteers. We know it is frustrating for all concerned, but we have received lots of messages of support for the decision already.

“I hope that you are still enjoying the hobby and creating wonderful models. I’d like to take the time to wish you all the very best for 2021 and I look forward to seeing you all at the Show in 2022.”

- - - - - - -

The above has been published on our website today and also circulated to the print media, other web fora and hobby related Societies.

Edited by john new
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Sad, yet inevitable news. York is such a good show and I hope and expect that it will be one that makes a triumphant return post-Covid (or post-vaccine). 

If I go to one show a year, it's York.  So, if I'm spared, I'll see you in 2022!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HAPPY EASTER!

Here's looking forward to York 2022. With that in mind this morning I've launched the website:

www.this-is-york.com

IMG_1523.jpg.aaeafc5dee636c2531b9809375250e22.jpg

This is the 2mm finescale layout I'm building of York Station kindly invited by Mal to make it's first public appearance at York Show next year. There's not a huge amount of content on the website yet and there IS a huge amount to get done on the layout for April 2022 but more will appear on each in the coming weeks and months.

Like so many people I'm looking forward to arriving at the Kanvesmere in 378 days' time (Good Friday 2022) for the fun to start!

More can be found about the layout and its progress at the website or on the strand that's been running for a few months now in the RMweb 2mm finescale section.

• Like 5

Looking forward to it, losing York last year was a blow and compounded this year. York for me has been an annual highlight for most of my lifetime and it's once again very odd having an Easter Saturday at home, not being in York it doesn't even seem like Easter!

Thanks to all those who contribute to making it such an iconic show and all the very best for 2022.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Happier times at the 2019 York Exhibition as I bask in the sun on the Sunday prior to opening.

Sorry about the photograph being upside down it’s a iPad issue

Eltel 

DCD15BB3-BAA5-4C57-BE4A-71C22F1C8162.jpeg

Edited by ELTEL
  • Like 1

On 02/04/2021 at 10:51, BigMal said:

Well, here we are on Good Friday and NOT in York for the second year in a row.

So let’s remember those good times. All the doors of the Knavesmire Stand open as exhibitors unload their stands, with a cold wind whistling across the Racecourse and straight through the building.

Happy Days! Here’s hoping we will be all in a position to do it for real by Easter 2022 (16/17/18 April).

I was at the York show a good few years ago when they had a power cut, caused apparently by the load from all the layouts and traders' cash registers.  A few of the traders could continue by still handling cash, but the trains all stopped for quite a while apart from one enterprising type who plugged his stand into the emergency lighting circuit !  I was told they had to send to Leeds to find an electrician, but if my memory is correct they did get it all running again a bit later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I was at the York show a good few years ago when they had a power cut, caused apparently by the load from all the layouts and traders' cash registers.  A few of the traders could continue by still handling cash, but the trains all stopped for quite a while apart from one enterprising type who plugged his stand into the emergency lighting circuit !  I was told they had to send to Leeds to find an electrician, but if my memory is correct they did get it all running again a bit later.

It was the year the stand was being modernised - Sunday when the kitchens turned the ovens on. Yes a very distant duty electrician on call out.

• RMweb Gold

Like the rest of us I can't be at the show this year but I did at least have time this morning to get out my oval test track and give the Easter Egg Special  a quick run.

Has anyone else run trains today? 

Edited by john new
  • Like 3

It is an unfortunate cancellation because the weather has been perfect (until tomorrow) here in York. Beautifully sunny but rather cold to stay out in for any length of time - just the sort of weather that gets good gate receipts. Nice queuing weather 

P1220562.JPG.91b17d0b3714b98b3a0361db4a9a9836.JPG

Paul

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

which year was it when Cooky got stuck in a lift?  

Baz

The Show was being held in the older building, before the Knavesmire Stand was refurbished. That was the same year as the power cut in the old building (1996 if Martin's date is correct).

I was operating on the top (5th?) floor and we found one mains socket still with power available. So while the rest of the Show was in darkness we carried on playing trains on the top floor!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BigMal said:

The Show was being held in the older building, before the Knavesmire Stand was refurbished. That was the same year as the power cut in the old building (1996 if Martin's date is correct).

I was operating on the top (5th?) floor and we found one mains socket still with power available. So while the rest of the Show was in darkness we carried on playing trains on the top floor!

The lift incident was definitely in the new stand. I was on tannoy with it switched to lifts only to try keep them calm with progress announcements without notifying everyone else other than the lift was out of service.  IIRC it was a family with a child plus Mike when they were finally released.

The power cuts were in the older stand that had all the escalators.

• Agree 1