Heljan replacement wheels

Hi all. I need some replacement wheels for my Heljan 47s. I ordered them from Howes as they still showed on their website. I’ve just been refunded as they don’t have them. I understand Gaugemaster are now the spares agents but I can’t find wheels on their website. Does anyone know who stocked these now? Thanks

I asked Gauge master about these.  I had the part number from a previous order.  They said that they didn't stock them.   Seems odd.

This was just after they started as the spares agent, so perhaps needs a little more time to get used to it.

• RMweb Premium

An alternative would be to use Alan Gibson wheels from their EM conversion pack or Black Beetle 14mm disc wheels from Branchlines (or Keen Maygib 14.5 disc if you can get them).  I’m assuming you’re working in 00, obviously the back to back needs to be set to suit.  Arguably, any 14mm disc wheel on a 2mm diameter axle should work.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark Forrest said:

An alternative would be to use Alan Gibson wheels from their EM conversion pack or Black Beetle 14mm disc wheels from Branchlines (or Keen Maygib 14.5 disc if you can get them).  I’m assuming you’re working in 00, obviously the back to back needs to be set to suit.  Arguably, any 14mm disc wheel on a 2mm diameter axle should work.

I didn’t really want to go down that route because of the price of the things. And ultrascale have a waiting list of about 16 years. All in all, I’m stuck unless I can find a supplier

• 10 months later...

I have just bought a few sets for my 47's from Gaugemaster, the wheels available are for Class 26, 27 & 33 but are exactly the same wheels as the Class 47.

Obviously you only get the geared drive wheels and they only come in packs of two not four, but I'm happy with that as that's what picks up the current.

Behind the bogies the middle set of wheels although different are not really noticeable.

They have doubled in price since the last time I bought them from Howes, but the loco's run superbly with the metal wheels and I'm more than happy.

Part Number is: HN19853583 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

You can use Hornby 14.1mm Disc Coach wheels as they fit the Heljan axles no trouble, the loco will sit almost 0.5mm lower although this is hardly noticeable and power pick up is much better.

Geoff

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, delticman said:

You can use Hornby 14.1mm Disc Coach wheels as they fit the Heljan axles no trouble, the loco will sit almost 0.5mm lower although this is hardly noticeable and power pick up is much better.

Geoff

I tried to explore this avenue before, but could only find 12.5mm diameter wheels.

Just done a search to find these, presume this is what you have used:-  Hornby R8218 Disk Coach Wheels 14.1mm ?

Yes they would work, I used Hornby R8264 the disc wheels with two holes. Just pull off the Heljan wheels and the Hornby ones from their axles and press the Hornby wheels on to the Heljan axles. If I remember correctly they are not too tight so a small dab of superglue on the axle ends will keep them in gauge.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

4 hours ago, delticman said:

Yes they would work, I used Hornby R8264 the disc wheels with two holes. Just pull off the Heljan wheels and the Hornby ones from their axles and press the Hornby wheels on to the Heljan axles. If I remember correctly they are not too tight so a small dab of superglue on the axle ends will keep them in gauge.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

Geoff,

Thanks for your help, first loco done, now to bulk order the replacement wheels.

£10 per loco using Hornby versus £40 for the Heljan

Martin

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

Thanks for your help, first loco done, now to bulk order the replacement wheels.

£10 per loco using Hornby versus £40 for the Heljan

At £40 for the 2 wheelsets, surely you'd be better with a complete spare chassis ???

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heljan-Replacement-Class-26-27-Chassis-OO-Gauge/283440784769?var=584470840857

20 hours ago, steviesparx said:

At £40 for the 2 wheelsets, surely you'd be better with a complete spare chassis ???

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heljan-Replacement-Class-26-27-Chassis-OO-Gauge/283440784769?var=584470840857

Yes, that was my next route....

I thought the sets of wheels were for one loco, didn’t realise you needed two sets per loco. I’m sure they were in sets of four from Howes.

But pleased to say had a successful day re-wheeling with Hornby wheels. Did five locos today with three packs of R8218’s.

0B32AB69-247F-48CD-AF59-99B9F13016FB.jpeg

0AD581F0-D05E-4DF9-A75E-BF573FFDA44C.jpeg

6ADDA977-521D-4EFD-9861-0D07035C5AFA.jpeg

FB4A1358-764E-4B3B-AFC4-06631BC67E87.jpeg

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, delticman said:

Wow Martin you have been busy, but what a difference in performance from these locos, smooth and unfaltering.

Geoff

I had a few wheels from Howes that I used up initially and then had a busy day yesterday with the Hornby one’s. And yes running performance is enhanced. I was surprised how quick it was. I have got spare axles having replaced the earlier ones so it allows me to get ahead. Took the opportunity to grease, oil and clean everything as well. 
Drivers fitted and front detailing done last night.

Edited by martin_l_jones

• 2 months later...

Do remember one side has to be insulated, the Heljan Brass wheels are a pain , you could use Brasso every day, may be not. Can you buy 15mm wheels for 2mm axles, not fine scale.

Edited by Marcus Hugh
added item

• RMweb Gold
On 12/03/2021 at 19:15, martin_l_jones said:

And yes running performance is enhanced. I was surprised how quick it was.

I have a class 27 with the wonderful brass wheels and refuse to pay the £45 Heljan are asking for replacement wheel sets. The Hornby option looks like a possibility, I would appreciate a little more detail about peoples experiences. It all seems very straightforward, remove the Heljan wheels from the axle and replace with Hornby ones. Check the back to back and glue the wheels in place. Is it really that straightforward?

On 24/05/2021 at 20:27, young37215 said:

I have a class 27 with the wonderful brass wheels and refuse to pay the £45 Heljan are asking for replacement wheel sets. The Hornby option looks like a possibility, I would appreciate a little more detail about peoples experiences. It all seems very straightforward, remove the Heljan wheels from the axle and replace with Hornby ones. Check the back to back and glue the wheels in place. Is it really that straightforward?

The most important thing is getting the back to backs right and the wheels on the axles parallel and running true to each other.

But it is quite an easy task. 

I can send you some more pictures if you want.

• Thanks 1

On 10/03/2021 at 21:43, steviesparx said:

Last time I ordered a spare chassis from Oliciers it was fitted with the old brown wheels.

I would call them first to check.

Dave.

On 29/05/2021 at 10:39, dasatcopthorne said:

Last time I ordered a spare chassis from Oliciers it was fitted with the old brown wheels.

I would call them first to check.

Dave.

During my investigations I did speak to Olivias and they confirmed they were the new wheelsets.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2021 at 16:37, Marcus Hugh said:

Do remember one side has to be insulated, the Heljan Brass wheels are a pain , you could use Brasso every day, may be not. Can you buy 15mm wheels for 2mm axles, not fine scale.

One of the Hornby wheels has a plastic bush. So it's insulated from the axle.