RATIO MR 4-4-0

I just bought a Ratio Midland 4-4-0 from e-bay when it arrived the tender wheels are missing can anyone tell me what size I need?.

David

A Yorkshireman in the USA.

26 minutes ago, Matador said:

I just bought a Ratio Midland 4-4-0 from e-bay when it arrived the tender wheels are missing can anyone tell me what size I need?.

David

A Yorkshireman in the USA.

David,

Received wisdom is that the chassis for the Ratio loco kits can be 'challenging'.

Does the 4-4-0 have plastic or brass frames?

John Isherwood.

I still have the 2-4-0 kit I bought more than 30 years ago. The frames are brass but fit over a plastic former. The driving wheels look like cast mazak or something similar and have spigot axles that fit a central insulating 'muff'. I always intended to replace all the wheels if I ever build it. Will you write up its construction on this forum? I'd love to see how it goes together.

Hi all,

I built the 2-4-0 kit 40 years ago. I still have what is left of the chassis. It was a truly dreadful performer and ended up being thrown into the 'why the hell did I buy this' box for many years. Then it eventually was dismantled until all I have left is a broken frame, wheels and motor.

Good luck with building your 4-4-0. Which I believe is the better of the 2 ratio engines.

22 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Tender wheels should be 4 foot 3 inch twelve spoke plain rim. 17mm diameter in 4mm scale.

If you are going for Alan Gibson then it's code 4851

Jason

Thanks Jason

I to will follow this with interest, as I have a couple of each type of the kits collected over the years at toy fairs, all are of the perseverance chassis type, and I am going to ditch the wheels and gears along with the motor as I have found the Buler motor fast revving despite its good reputation, with "Romford's " P,B wire pick,ups a sixty to one gearbox and stashed away mashinas I hope to get something better than standard

only problem is time due to the other kits in the queue ,, but then two have been finished during this lockdown  so far and one more just needs more hmrs lining