Zimo MX636D Decoders

PJ10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

For the last few years I've been using Zimo MX634D decoders as my decoder of choice. I'm using the lockdown as an opportunity to service my fleet and to get my new additions DCC fitted but I have used my last decoder. I note that the MX636D is available for same price, is able to handle more power and has more functions but I can't find any detailed information about it. I've been on a number of websites including Zimos own but even this has little information. I should mention that I model in oo so the power handling is not a requirement, its the increased number of functions that will come in handy when (ok if) I get round to modifying the lighting circuits so I can have fully independent lighting. On the information to hand it would appear that the MX636D is better option for me but is it as good a decoder for driving the locomotive?

I'd appreciate it if anybody can provide me with, or point me in the direction of, any relevant information including any negative observations (decoder size excepted). Many thanks.

PJ10

Zimo's website has information, but its in German.   The MX636 is in the German "kleine decoder manual".  The English translation is now somewhat behind,  I wonder if their previous regular translator is not able to do it ? 

I'm not sure that there are any more pins on the MTC21 socket which are available, and like the MX634 it is CV-configurable between the two different MTC21 pin standards (logic or full power function on the higher functions).   So, any additional lighting circuits will mean wiring to solder pads on the decoder. 

The motor control stuff will be identical to other current small Zimo decoders.   The differences between models is size, current handling, etc..  Not the finesse of control. 

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Nigel,

Thanks for the info. I realise that some soldering would be required. I may go the whole hog and remove the old circuit boards and make my own.

Peter.

Thanks but I couldn't find the MX636D on the selector when I looked.

PJ10

Edited by PJ10

8 minutes ago, peterfgf said:

Hi,

Following on from a previous post the Coastal DCC website says the MX636D has 8 function outputs.

A pinout of a MTC21 connector I found shows 8 function outputs available labelled F0f, F0r and AUX1 to 6.

So maybe there is no need for soldering.

I think I tested all eight outputs on a MX634D by just by plugging its 21 pin connector into my ESU decoder tester (two were at logic level).

What it doesn't seem to say on the Coastal DCC website is what the current rating is of each function output, what the total is for all eight functions and what the total is for the motor plus functions.

Note the MX638D is considerably cheaper but it only has 6 conventional function outputs and two logic level outputs so in that respect it all depends whether the loco you are planning to put it in requires 8 functions or 6 'f' plus 2 logic.

Take care.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Guys,

Many thanks for the info. Looking at both the German and English versions of the Zimo manual I think I now understand some of the differences. For example Functions 5 and 6 on the MX634D are logic level whilst they appear to be normal amplified outputs on the MX636D. And yes the MX638D is cheaper. I believe its basically a MX634D without the stay alive functionality. More reading and translating to do.

Thanks again

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I've decided to give the MX636D a try.

However further questions if I may so I better understand the capabilities of both the MX634Ds I have and the MX636D . The SUSI Data and Clock pins. In the english language manual these are listed as SUSI Data (FO6, Servo 2) and SUSI Clock (FO5, Servo 1) for the MX634D. But there are also FO5 and FO6 logic level outputs. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that they were in some way related. Are they actually separate outputs and if so how do I use the SUSI pins as functions? And are they full or logic?

The German language manual states for the MX636D that the Data and Clock pins are SUSI Data (FA8, Servo 2) and SUSI Clock (FA7, Servo 1) with Functions 1 thru 6 as separate pins. So 8 functions?

Really appreciate your help. Thanks

Whether logic outputs are "outputs" "susi" or "servos" is all down to CV settings.  Can only do one of them at a time! 

In the manuals, it explains how to do a "reset" to set the decoders into the two different MTC21 configurations - logic or full function output for the high numbers.

- Nigel

• Thanks 1