Hornby Class 25 Running Problems

drgj

I am still having problems with this loco. I completely stripped the motor, cleaned and lubricated it, etc, but it still won't start smoothly. I turn the controller up and it suddenly starts off but will then run slowly if I turn the controller down. What causes this? Maybe it is just too worn out. Maybe I will try a CD conversion on it.

Back in the 70s I bought a brand new one and it was dead smooth at all speeds and made a just a light rustling sound as it ran.

Edited by drgj

There are only about 350 Morris Marinas left on the road and almost all are pampered and enthusiast owned so its a bad analogy.   It's difficult to get half decent starting out of these old high geared ring field power bogies and the old controllers used various devious tricks to combat it like starting as half wave and changing to full wave as speed increased on the "Westminster" controllers, arguably the worst controller ever made, to full voltage "Boost Buttons on some H&M controllers.  Just flick the button momentarily and off it went. 

They seem to like PWM for starting but then sound absolutely horrible.

I did some fiddling with an entirely impractical AC/DC controller Where it started as AC but then one half of the wave reduced as speed rose until it became first full power half wave and then full wave. Luckily I never tried it on a Coreless motor but starting and low speed was impressive.

4 hours ago, roythebus said:

... We ran loads of these motors on the MRC's New Annington layout in the 1980s and never had problems with them.

But if you still had those same locos now and they had been run regularly over the 30+ intervening years, how do you suppose they would run? Mechanisms wear out, simple: the point about the Marina - and any other mass production car of that generation - is that practically none of us are using them as everyday 10,000 MPA+ hacks, and much the same applies to our little locos. Time to move on...