Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I found this photo on the internet,i  hope i am not breaking any rules posting it.

Looks like a 4f loco but not sure, does anyone know details of the wagons, train, brake van etc?

Its a really nice picture who ever took it.

a18640b9d5216ad0544a3f7e7b7419ee.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Quite a late photo as there is the facing connection into the goods shed road rather than a trailing connection.

 

BR standard brake van (which was an LNER design). Others will be better on the vans than me but I think one ex-SR and two ex-LMS. All fitted, so this is probably the head of a northbound train.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Quite a late photo as there is the facing connection into the goods shed road rather than a trailing connection.

But the layout alteration took place in 1930, so doesn't really give any clue to the date.

 

Given the chap stood on the running-plate (!), I would suggest it's more likely - with the brake van at the Bath end - that the engine is doing some shunting.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RailWest said:

Given the chap stood on the running-plate

If it is a 4F, i thought they did not work the southern section late on, more likely a 3mt or such like. I must confess i have no idea on the date of the photo, hence why i posted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Combe Martin said:

Didn't fertiliser trains run to or from Blandford.  I'm away from home at the mo so havnt got all my notes.

Pretty certain that this traffic, from ICI Severnside, used to run via Mangotsfield, Bath and the S&D; then BR diverted it via Bristol, Westbury, Romsey and then down to Blandford via the L&SWR. The journey was considerably longer, so BR probably charged more, thereby losing the traffic.

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

From the brake, the vans are of GW, LMS, and LNE origin - I'm afraid I'm not sufficiently well up on post grouping wagons to say what diagrams, except that the ex-LMS vehicle is probably D1812 or D1830, dating from 1930-32, from a quick reading of R.J. Essery and K.R. Morgan, The LMS Wagon (David & Charles, 1977). 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

              My photo!  I took it about 5pm on 6th April 1964.  The 4F is 44560 on the mid-afternoon freight from Poole.  It arrived with 3 vans and the usual guards vans at front and rear, and collected one more van at Blandford.  Earlier I had watched it shunt 3 milk tankers onto the up mail at Bailey Gate.  An enjoyable afternoon’s bike ride from Poole!

              The 4F was on the return working from the 6.35 down freight from Evercreech.  That week 4Fs were used on at least 4 days - 44560 once more and 44422 on the other two days.  The previous week 75007 and 75071 had been used, then 44102 on the Saturday.  I also noted 4Fs on these trains in August 1964.  44422 was also used three times on the 12.23 passenger off Templecombe and the 17.30 back from Bournemouth in that previous week.  So, if my small sample is typical,  the 4Fs saw plenty of action at the Dorset end of the S&D until at least 1964.

  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/04/2020 at 09:07, down the sdjr said:

I am glad you took the photo, very nice picture and history captured. Hope you dont mind that i posted it.

Thanks for the kind comments about the picture.  I used to have some of my S&D pictures on Flickr until finding that they were being posted without credit on social media.  When they turn up I claim them, as with this one, and supply whatever information I have relating to them.  This one has appeared in print - in Blandford Museum's booklet "Blandford Railway in close-up".

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, tingleytim said:

Thanks for the kind comments about the picture.  I used to have some of my S&D pictures on Flickr until finding that they were being posted without credit on social media.  When they turn up I claim them, as with this one, and supply whatever information I have relating to them.  This one has appeared in print - in Blandford Museum's booklet "Blandford Railway in close-up".

The S&D closed before i was born. My family moved to Blandford in 1980, they had just started building bungalows on the station site. I was train mad and spent my youth walking up and down the old line around Blandford, Shillingstone,etc.

The S&D has been a life long interest for me and to see photos i have never seen before is such a delight.

On my searches on the web i have seen a few other pictures taken around the iron bridge with a similar style to this one , i presume you might have taken these as well.

Thank you again.

Paul.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Both bridge and house in the original picture are still extant. There are also some rails still remaining in the road where the goods yard was.

 

The former stationmaster's house was for sale about 10 years ago and I visited. A nice property.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, down the sdjr said:

The S&D closed before i was born. My family moved to Blandford in 1980, they had just started building bungalows on the station site. I was train mad and spent my youth walking up and down the old line around Blandford, Shillingstone,etc.

The S&D has been a life long interest for me and to see photos i have never seen before is such a delight.

On my searches on the web i have seen a few other pictures taken around the iron bridge with a similar style to this one , i presume you might have taken these as well.

Thank you again.

Paul.

Loads of pictures must have been taken from the end of the up platform but I don't have any more like the one of the 4F.  That was the only day I spent during the afternoon at Blandford so I don't know if the shunting operation photographed was typical or not; I'd guess it would be fairly common though for vans to be collected from the main station at the Dorset end of the S&D.  I wonder if this gets replicated in the Blandford model club's layout?

 

 

On 16/04/2020 at 19:55, tingleytim said:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I had a go at modelling this, bought some Parkside wagons that matched as best i could find, close but not perfect.

2134753945_IMG_20200606_110642(2).jpg.61344a5e05b32850fd50f3524c662a9a.jpg

 

This has got me thinking. I grew up in Blandford and have long thought about making a layout. I really like the Blandford museum layout and i think i will regret it if i dont have a go. I am going to focus on the north end of the station, single line from Salisbury st bridge to the platforms. I hope posters on here will be able to answer my many questions i will have.

@tingleytim photo has given me such inspiration.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, down the sdjr said:

I had a go at modelling this, bought some Parkside wagons that matched as best i could find, close but not perfect.

2134753945_IMG_20200606_110642(2).jpg.61344a5e05b32850fd50f3524c662a9a.jpg

 

This has got me thinking. I grew up in Blandford and have long thought about making a layout. I really like the Blandford museum layout and i think i will regret it if i dont have a go. I am going to focus on the north end of the station, single line from Salisbury st bridge to the platforms. I hope posters on here will be able to answer my many questions i will have.

@tingleytim photo has given me such inspiration.

Very pleased that a picture I took 56 years ago should have inspired somebody!  A good few years ago I thought Blandford would make a very good subject for a model, as the local club later confirmed, and in fine style.  I got as far as working out how much space would be needed but then decided to look further up the line.  Good luck with your project.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
On 06/06/2020 at 21:07, tingleytim said:

Very pleased that a picture I took 56 years ago should have inspired somebody!  A good few years ago I thought Blandford would make a very good subject for a model, as the local club later confirmed, and in fine style.  I got as far as working out how much space would be needed but then decided to look further up the line.  Good luck with your project.

Hi Tim,

Over the summer I cleared a section of my layout to make room for Blandford. I started to learn how to make track as I love the curve Blandford is on. Just starting to lay the track now, early days but thought I would post a pic.

 

2030929984_IMG_20201115_182138(2).jpg.dc768ff51f803de2ad197e3ba70f5c3e.jpg

 

I am surface wiring at the moment to test running quality of the turnouts.

A view north.

1943822632_IMG_20201115_180530(2).jpg.f05c632d850f2796d2398ed5cc7a9f67.jpg

 

Using any models lying around to test building and Salisbury street bridge positions.

 

Paul.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

I did work up some plans a good few years ago based on dimensions available and lots of photos if of any interest?

I spent this afternoon looking through this forum for information. I notice you and many other posters have been doing this stuff for years.

Any plans, photos etc would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by down the sdjr
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Been working on the coal siding with a trap point.

IMG_20201125_160223.jpg.483a339df1faa40f0753af1682a48003.jpg

 

Another turnout built and in place on the north section for the horse box siding, one of my favourite bits of Blandford, I must get a nice horse box to sit in here.

 

IMG_20201126_194504.jpg.b2b12fbf54974b7bf3c8b95273693ea8.jpg

 

Using 1F 41708 for test runs with a Midland inspection coach that seems to run well over my clunky hand made points.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I would use this thread for my layout updates and for posting my pictures of the line between Sturminster Newton and Spetisbury halt. Please let me know if it should be on another part of the forum.

I have taken a trip to Blandford to take pictures for the last two summers and I hope to go next year as well. I spend two days exploring different sections of the line and walk the trailway with two old school friends and a couple of pub stops.

The first model I want to build for Blandford is the iron bridge. Its almost iconic to me as I used to walk under it twice every school day and being a railway nut I used to love it.

 

IMG_2943.JPG.de6431b90cc09aac652495693c4f550e.JPG

 

Some other bridges on this section of the railway are interesting. This 3 arch viaduct is just next to the Blandford bypass, I have driven past this a thousand times in my car but had no idea it was there. Ivo took a few pictures at this location. I plan to model this on a small scenic part of the layout.

 

IMG_3171.JPG.8d05d15d1ee291e58c9b15ae744d0332.JPG

 

That's my mate on the bridge telling me to hurry up, the light was fading, it was 9.30pm, and we wanted to go to the pub.

 

Edited by down the sdjr
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Going to glue in the first track for Blandford tomorrow, it's the small coal siding off the up line near the iron bridge. Its taken me a while to build this track with a trap point. I made a few mistakes with the A5 curviform turnout and had to take it apart to rectify the issues. I had not filed the switch blades enough causing the trains to jump around a bit.

 

26763769_IMG_20201212_203548(2).jpg.994f1ce6fa44168f5529c0947703d47b.jpg

 

 

Edited by down the sdjr
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.