Warehouse Buildings for sidings / unloading from box vans

beingamonkey

In my spare time during this lockdown, I've decided to embark on a small layout with the few bit's and pieces I have lying around, it will be a small shunting yard, and i'd like to create some low relieve tall buildings to give the layout height.

I have seen these two kits from Scale Scene which I aesthetically like, more so the corrugated clad building (I know the second is for China Clay and as such not suitable for box vans etc, but I have used it more to illustrate the aesthetic and the canopy).

image.png.cee37d4bbb6d4001302b03d028b2861e.png

It may be possible with the brick warehouse kit to make it 4 stories high, I'm an architect and good with photoshop skills so could easily extend this, would a larger canopy, in corrugate steel be odd?

image.png.d733abae56febd9b727b7334c8fb5e16.png

I was wondering if there were any warehouses that anyone knows exist that are similar to these for distribution and would be taller 4 or 5 stories high etc? I'm looking to build a shunting yard that might have 2 or three of these.

If possible i'd like to base these on real examples, so if anyone has links to photos or examples that would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks

Nic

• 5 months later...

I've been doing further research and stumbled upon this building, which I feel is like the aesthetic I would like this building to look like, it is Chorley Goods Depot, I can't seem to find any further images of this, so if anyone knows or has any more information that would be great.

image.png.b9ec8199961056a3c94f22356ad619c3.png

• Like 1

On 16/04/2020 at 09:21, beingamonkey said:

image.png.cee37d4bbb6d4001302b03d028b2861e.png

It may be possible with the brick warehouse kit to make it 4 stories high, I'm an architect and good with photoshop skills so could easily extend this, would a larger canopy, in corrugate steel be odd?

Hi Nic

You won't need Photoshop skills with Scalescenes warehouses - John has designed them to be easily "kit bashed" so you can have taller and longer warehouses. The asbestos and corrugated iron textures are also available in plain sheets in the 'Scratchbuilder's Yard' part of his website.

No affiliation - just a fan and happy customer!

Steve S

• Like 1

Just a quick point about goods sheds and similar buildings. Make sure that the platforms are slightly lower than the van doors, otherwise opening 'cupboard-type' doors becomes a headache. My father's firm had to take a course of bricks off a loading bay they'd built for Steel Company of Wales, as the architect hadn't allowed for the difference in  height of the wagon floor when loaded. They found out the hard way, when they couldn't open or close the doors...

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Just a quick point about goods sheds and similar buildings. Make sure that the platforms are slightly lower than the van doors, otherwise opening 'cupboard-type' doors becomes a headache. My father's firm had to take a course of bricks off a loading bay they'd built for Steel Company of Wales, as the architect hadn't allowed for the difference in  height of the wagon floor when loaded. They found out the hard way, when they couldn't open or close the doors...

I’m an architect, will bear that in mind!!

Edited by beingamonkey

• RMweb Premium

Platform height of around 3'6" - 3'9" above rail level would be typical, I believe. Wagon floors were typically 4'0" - 4'2" above rail level; dropping the flap door of a typical open wagon, one would have a nearly level or slightly sloping surface down for barrowing goods. For covered goods wagons / vans (terminology to suit period) a wooden ramp would be needed. Vans with sliding doors (per Midland / LMS) avoid any embarrassment.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Platform height of around 3'6" - 3'9" above rail level would be typical, I believe. Wagon floors were typically 4'0" - 4'2" above rail level; dropping the flap door of a typical open wagon, one would have a nearly level or slightly sloping surface down for barrowing goods. For covered goods wagons / vans (terminology to suit period) a wooden ramp would be needed. Vans with sliding doors (per Midland / LMS) avoid any embarrassment.

Sliding door vans weren't that common in South Wales, alas, and sliding-door Shoc-Vans were even scarcer. I have seen some loading bays (rail and road) with hinged steel draw-bridges, which would have solved the problem.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone, very enjoyable and informative to read.

I've quickly knocked this up in photoshop (not great quality), but I'm thinking of using this building as a basis for whatever I make for the layout by adding another floor to it. Does anyone thing this would look odd?

Thinking of using it in a late 70s to late 80s era layout, would that be incorrect?

Thanks for all the help and advice

Untitled-2.jpg

Edited by beingamonkey
  • Like 1

Try googling Butler Street Goods Yard Preston - the warehouse gives the extra height and has similarities to Chorley.

My understanding is that traditional wagon load freight finished in the very early 70s - so while structures might still be standing the tracks would have been lifted - and you'd be modelling something which was either derelict - or had been taken over by another business

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Innerhome said:

Try googling Butler Street Goods Yard Preston - the warehouse gives the extra height and has similarities to Chorley.

My understanding is that traditional wagon load freight finished in the very early 70s - so while structures might still be standing the tracks would have been lifted - and you'd be modelling something which was either derelict - or had been taken over by another business

... or turned into a parcels depot - Red Star.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I don't understand the comment about wagon load freight ending in the early 1970s. Speedlink kept it going into the 1980s. Warrington Central had a wonderful, operational goods warehouse

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlmr/e52ba3e12

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlmr/e52ba4468

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlmr/e582c85fe

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=warrington&customize This has a mix of Warrington destinations, and only a few of the wagons seen. A proportion at that time were from the Continent. Others were the pipes and aluminium slab and the engineers parked wagons there.

This building is now an award building block of apartment. 

Paul

Wagon-load traffic lasted beyond the demise of Speedlink, with the services intended to carry non-containerised freight to and from the Channel Tunnel. What did disappear in the late-1960s was the less-than-wagonload 'Sundries' traffic, and the associated Collect and Delivery road service. This was ceded to National Carriers, who maintained some rail services into the late 1970s, but soon became a road-only operation.

On 17/10/2020 at 17:56, keefer said:

I think I've heard that referred to as the 'Enterprise' workings/network? (post-Speedlink).

I'm sure I remember it from the 'Railfreight Today' DVD set.

“ connect rail “ was the less than trainload service from railfreight distribution , which handled channel tunnel stuff mainly.

” enterprise “ was set up by Shadow freight franchise , transrail , 

So in effect They  were operating at the same time ( 94 onwards for transrail ) , until EWS brought the whole shooting match 

Edited by rob D2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1