LNER Triplet Set

I would like to build a triplet set of coaches as used on the East Coast Mainline in the 1950s.

After spending quite some time trawling the internet the only option I can find are the sets manufactured by Comet Models, other sets such as the Ian Kirk Models seem to be out of production, they are shown on the Cooper Craft website but I didn't get a reply when I enquired about availability.

Can anyone else confirm this or are there now some newer manufacturers which I may have missed.

This is covered on other threads on RMweb, but it is recommended that in no circumstances order and pay for products from Coopercraft, as there have been "issues" to do with honouring orders. The Triplet set they in theory offer is indeed the old Kirk plastic one. If you really do want one of these then they do on occasion appear on Ebay, but probably not cheap.

The Comet range is now part of Wizard models, also known as 51L, and should be available mailorder.

If you look on "Wright Writes" on here, there's an interesting discussion of this subject at the moment.

John.

• Agree 3

Hi Richard,

A few years ago I built a triplet set as used on the Flying Scotsman and Elizabethan, the set I built was the Thomson set and I  used Southern Pride sides and Comet chassis, ends, roofs and other bits required. I made my own interiors using tables and seating from Southern Pride. The three coaches comprised of 63' First open Restaurant, 63' Kitchen Car and 63' Standard open Restaurant. I'm sorry but I can't remember Dia numbers but I think  they may be Dia 350, 351 & 352

Hope this helps.

Ian  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 1938 and 1957 triple articulated dining car sets are available from Wizard models RDEB range, the 1928 triplet is also available from Wizard under the Comet brand.

There is also the 1928 triplet set available from CPL Products and are the most comprehensive set of etches for any of the triplet sets.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

This is covered on other threads on RMweb, but it is recommended that in no circumstances order and pay for products from Coopercraft, as there have been "issues" to do with honouring orders. The Triplet set they in theory offer is indeed the old Kirk plastic one. If you really do want one of these then they do on occasion appear on Ebay, but probably not cheap.

The Comet range is now part of Wizard models, also known as 51L, and should be available mailorder.

If you look on "Wright Writes" on here, there's an interesting discussion of this subject at the moment.

John.

Thanks for that, I did find postings regarding Coopercraft problems but they were a few years old so I tried to contact them just in case they had now got their act together as they say, but no response so that's one supplier off the list.

Wizard models have the full range of Comet Kits needed in stock so that's looking promising at the moment, still reading up on Wright Writes.

Richard

• Friendly/supportive 1