Hello all!

Just a heads up on a little competition I am hosting with a friend under the banner of our podcast. It is a simple competition with the rules being:

-No bigger than an A4 piece of paper (height has no restriction)

-Any gauge/scale

-Up to 2 entries per person

-Can't have been entered into a previous competition

-Low budget (ideally under £5, but spares box jobs are fine)

-To be entered by the 20th of May via Email (thetraincrashpodcast@gmail.com) or Instagram (traincrashpod)

If you do fancy joining, please do let us know and post some build pictures on here! No prize, but it's just something to do in quarantine. We will be posting our own progress on here too. 

Cheers 

Oliver 

• Like 10

So here mine!

Or at least a start...

DSC_0658.JPG.14e0fafafb491c24adb7e7cfc92eec04.JPG

Here's the plan; a simple curved railway flagged crossing depicting the Heapton Colliery rail network as it approaches the inners of town.

Scenery wise it will simply have a shop (not sure what it will be, maybe an Oatcake shop to suggest its in Staffordshire?), a road (with associated potholes), an embankment (just overgrown to give some height to that area of the diorama), a park (or just waste ground) and obviously the track.

• Like 4

So just playing about with the shop on the diorama and its inspiration (or some of it).

1329623015_foxfieldcrossing.jpg.3dda9e7a598d9606c9f7c04200c2aabd.jpg

This is a photo of the Foxfield's farm track crossing (not my picture), I love how the railway fits into the scene and isn't the explicit focal point without a train there. Something I want to try with this diorama.

Somewhat counter to that, here is a Staffordshire resident (in both model form and in real life) showing the photographic opportunities this diorama presents when a train becomes the focal point.

DSC_0661.JPG.2a473f7afe890abae5da997db8a009a8.JPGThere will also be a flag man protecting the the road users.   

Thoughts?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, geoff_nicholls said:

Does the low budget include everything that appears in the diorama? or can one include items previously pruchased?  The L & B 1840s carriage ordered from Shapeways, and the two Modelu figures, in my first mock up obviously cost significantly more than that.

20200417_115457.jpg

Go for it! 

Budget won't be policed too much. It is just to stop people buying loads of ready to plant stuff!

Its looking good by the way!

• Like 3

Hello Oliver,

what a nice idea! I hope you get plenty of interest.  I'm building a little 3mm scale diorama at the mo, but it's nowhere near finished, (in fact it's hardly started!), but I have built a few buildings and structures from card, and when I read your post I was tempted to put a few of them on a sheet of A4.

What I have in mind is a single track entering a yard beneath a bridge, which is shared with motor traffic;  there is a maltings, a water tower and a small hut. That's it really, perhaps a few figures and general yard junk as well and possibly some kind of hopper discharge thing for the bulk grain wagon.
Here's a mock up with bits of card for the frame, just to see if it all fits.IMG_20200417_174734_1.jpg.d6b7351d42fb16ab2408a0e06573a012.jpg

I would like to build a proper frame around it, probably from 3mm MDF - does this have to be inside the A4 limit, or can I just add it to the A4 base? Either way I'm happy to enter your competition. Is there some kind of entry form, or is an expression of interest enough?

Best, Mike

• Like 12

18 hours ago, Spotlc said:

Hello Oliver,

what a nice idea! I hope you get plenty of interest.  I'm building a little 3mm scale diorama at the mo, but it's nowhere near finished, (in fact it's hardly started!), but I have built a few buildings and structures from card, and when I read your post I was tempted to put a few of them on a sheet of A4.

What I have in mind is a single track entering a yard beneath a bridge, which is shared with motor traffic;  there is a maltings, a water tower and a small hut. That's it really, perhaps a few figures and general yard junk as well and possibly some kind of hopper discharge thing for the bulk grain wagon.
Here's a mock up with bits of card for the frame, just to see if it all fits.IMG_20200417_174734_1.jpg.d6b7351d42fb16ab2408a0e06573a012.jpg

I would like to build a proper frame around it, probably from 3mm MDF - does this have to be inside the A4 limit, or can I just add it to the A4 base? Either way I'm happy to enter your competition. Is there some kind of entry form, or is an expression of interest enough?

Best, Mike

Thank you! I hope we do too!

Looking impressive and I like the idea of rail and road traffic would get some impressive shots!

With regards to whether it can entered with a frame- as long as the actual diorama (i.e. the scenery) is within A4 it will be fine! A frame could be fitted to the outside and it will be fine, would be a lovely touch.

Entering is simple: once finished take dome photos and bounce an email to 'thetraincrashpodcast@gmail.com' or drop a message to the Instagram 'traincrashpod', ideally with a little write up about what it represents.

Cheers

Oliver

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a little more work on mine!

Shown here is the my Ruston just easing towards the level crossing. Not sure of the technical term for the parts inside the rails (keeper rails come to mind?) but they are used due to the crossing and the tighter than normal radius of track in that area to keep all vehicles on the track safely. 

DSC_0728.JPG.1e18efb32b49fea7c9c00f9ae8c9d0e9.JPG

Also seen here is the beginning of the scenery. Hopefully the height will make the diorama look less flat; an issue I have with my layouts- so I'm experimenting. Also experimenting with building up the road to go up and over the tracks. Just with some cardDSC_0739.JPG.5c23f30b615a0cf6336b25e6a2651a94.JPG!

• Like 3

I may as well show what it looks like now with a little paint!

Don't think the road looks too bad, other colours will be used to tone the road whilst the embankments will be grassed and bushed. 

The road is done with a Citidel textured paint I bought 6 or so months ago and I will use it again!

DSC_0744.JPG.02b65919fa7b7adc33e5b38a67a157fe.JPGDSC_0743.JPG.1f21c4e88fcc4fa0c2dd32d015295f4c.JPG

Thoughts?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, crackedmember said:

When you say no bigger than A4, do you mean total area eg two joined A5 pieces, or an A4 dimensioned rectangle

Ideally in a rectangle!

Just so everyone has a somewhat similar base!

But it can be smaller than A4 if that would suit?

• Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, OliverRowley said:

I may as well show what it looks like now with a little paint!

Don't think the road looks too bad, other colours will be used to tone the road whilst the embankments will be grassed and bushed. 

The road is done with a Citidel textured paint I bought 6 or so months ago and I will use it again!

DSC_0744.JPG.02b65919fa7b7adc33e5b38a67a157fe.JPGDSC_0743.JPG.1f21c4e88fcc4fa0c2dd32d015295f4c.JPG

Thoughts?

Looking good! Any plans for road traffic? Stupid question but what do you use to clean your brushes after using citadel paint? 

• Like 3

I've made a start, it will function as a running in track as well for my locos which is why it is powered.

49810389212_87442583f7.jpg

I had a piece of 3mm ply corkboard leftover from some boards I salvaged in work last year, so with an idea of what I wanted to do in mind I stuck the track down.

The piece of board is slightly too big which is why i've marked it off and i'm only using the section where the track is inside the line, I may cut it yet.

• Like 4