8 hours ago, Oncomin5torm said:

I've made a start, it will function as a running in track as well for my locos which is why it is powered.

49810389212_87442583f7.jpg

I had a piece of 3mm ply corkboard leftover from some boards I salvaged in work last year, so with an idea of what I wanted to do in mind I stuck the track down.

The piece of board is slightly too big which is why i've marked it off and i'm only using the section where the track is inside the line, I may cut it yet.

Ooo powered! 

Looking forward to seeing to develop!

Good luck

• Like 3

Hi Oliver, I've made a bit of progress with my effort, and started to do a little description, but I don't want to fill this thread with a lot of needless detail, so I will start a separate thread called "Gray's Maltings" in the main forum, and of course I'll put some updates on here as well. I am really enjoying this, it's a completely different kind of modelling!

IMG_20200418_173707_3.jpg.0d750372810088ac461e10006a852c19.jpg

Best, Mike

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Spotlc said:

Hi Oliver, I've made a bit of progress with my effort, and started to do a little description, but I don't want to fill this thread with a lot of needless detail, so I will start a separate thread called "Gray's Maltings" in the main forum, and of course I'll put some updates on here as well. I am really enjoying this, it's a completely different kind of modelling!

IMG_20200418_173707_3.jpg.0d750372810088ac461e10006a852c19.jpg

Best, Mike

Hi Mike

If you want to start your own thread go for it! Although you can update on here anytime!

It is isn't it? I've found its made me more space aware

Oliver

• Thanks 1

IMG_20200421_161521_2.jpg.8aa35fa8f31160d555b182f10e885500.jpg

The base and enclosure for Gray's Maltings nearly finished - still some kind of lighting rig to think about if I have the time, plus finishing the exterior.   The panels are assembled using button head screws and in such a way as to allow any one or more of the panels to be removed without the rest falling apart! With something as small as this it's quite important for me to be able to do this - there isn't much room on a piece of A4, and I am quite clumsy! I put a piece of the said A4 paper on the base, just to show that I'm not cheating!

Cheers,  Mike

Edited by Spotlc
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

43 minutes ago, Spotlc said:

IMG_20200421_161521_2.jpg.8aa35fa8f31160d555b182f10e885500.jpg

The base and enclosure for Gray's Maltings nearly finished - still some kind of lighting rig to think about if I have the time, plus finishing the exterior.   The panels are assembled using button head screws and in such a way as to allow any one or more of the panels to be removed without the rest falling apart! With something as small as this it's quite important for me to be able to do this - there isn't much room on a piece of A4, and I am quite clumsy! I put a piece of the said A4 paper on the base, just to show that I'm not cheating!

Cheers,  Mike

Wow love that wooden frame!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well it's about time I started my entry too. Being the other host of the competition I can't actually enter my entry but I can still build one! Initially I found it really difficult to think of an idea and a plan that I liked and would be interested in building. Fast forward a week and a bit and I came across this picture on Facebook. 30118142487_0e4429f693_b.jpg.24ab2d68b63fa31ef6c25a59c20fa2bf.jpgI just love the washed out gritty atmosphere but also the vagueness of the type of industry that it is apart of. Having a Hornby ruston also makes this more appealing. So the plan is something industrial somewhere in the north-ish of England. One of the skills that I wanted to learn through this project was how to build point work as this would enable me to build even tighter radius point work for even smaller layouts (yes I may be slightly mad)  but I decided to start of with the basics and build some straight track that has ended up being dual gauge for increased photo opportunities. Given the current track shortage climate I'm unable to buy any rail in so I've had to resort to bending some old code 70 n gauge rail so that it's mostly straight except for a few kinks. Rail gauges are plasticard with shallow slots cut to fit the rail made of a piece of track to the correct gauge. IMG_20200427_151543093.jpg.2001fabac5c7c5c6dd2a2230b5cc3f9f.jpgInstead of soldering the rail to copper clad pcb board I simply super glued it to the 5.5mm ply baseboard and then infilled the railways with some coffee stirrers.IMG_20200427_160824375.jpg.b046538f1bf3e49939c370d59b1aab84.jpgThe coffee stirrers being taped to the baseboard as their glue sets off marks the foundation of where the warehouse will be. I hope to use this as a backdrop that would suit basically any of my locos/wagons in oo and 009. More progress soon. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, luke the train spotter said:

Well it's about time I started my entry too. Being the other host of the competition I can't actually enter my entry but I can still build one! Initially I found it really difficult to think of an idea and a plan that I liked and would be interested in building. Fast forward a week and a bit and I came across this picture on Facebook. 30118142487_0e4429f693_b.jpg.24ab2d68b63fa31ef6c25a59c20fa2bf.jpgI just love the washed out gritty atmosphere but also the vagueness of the type of industry that it is apart of. Having a Hornby ruston also makes this more appealing. So the plan is something industrial somewhere in the north-ish of England. One of the skills that I wanted to learn through this project was how to build point work as this would enable me to build even tighter radius point work for even smaller layouts (yes I may be slightly mad)  but I decided to start of with the basics and build some straight track that has ended up being dual gauge for increased photo opportunities. Given the current track shortage climate I'm unable to buy any rail in so I've had to resort to bending some old code 70 n gauge rail so that it's mostly straight except for a few kinks. Rail gauges are plasticard with shallow slots cut to fit the rail made of a piece of track to the correct gauge. IMG_20200427_151543093.jpg.2001fabac5c7c5c6dd2a2230b5cc3f9f.jpgInstead of soldering the rail to copper clad pcb board I simply super glued it to the 5.5mm ply baseboard and then infilled the railways with some coffee stirrers.IMG_20200427_160824375.jpg.b046538f1bf3e49939c370d59b1aab84.jpgThe coffee stirrers being taped to the baseboard as their glue sets off marks the foundation of where the warehouse will be. I hope to use this as a backdrop that would suit basically any of my locos/wagons in oo and 009. More progress soon. 

Have you seen how badly buckled both the roof and the cab step is on that Ruston? I love the washed out colours as well as lots of lovely rusty pipework. Looking forward to seeing this modelled.

Simon

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, simonmcp said:

Have you seen how badly buckled both the roof and the cab step is on that Ruston? I love the washed out colours as well as lots of lovely rusty pipework. Looking forward to seeing this modelled.

Simon

I hadn't noticed the buckled cab but I do like the wonky hooks on the side of the frames and also the horse shoe on the engine grill. Maybe some fun details to add.

• Like 2

How about the dodgy exhaust too?

My initial reaction to the image was that was a large gauge model, G 1 or even 2. It's a brilliant image and it would take some real nerve, not to mention skill, to do that to a Hornby one.

steve

• Like 3