O gauge conflat.

birdseyecircus

• RMweb Premium

The CADs are the GWR design, the photo is a BR type. According to Antics this was actually announced back in Sept 2019 and they said they were doing both. Don't know if that is still the case.

A 10ft GWR chassis opens the door for more wagons later I suspect.

Edited by Hal Nail

1 hour ago, brossard said:

It bothers me a bit that Dapol are producing models of wagons that already exist in kit form.

John

Completely agree, John. A great pity that they didn't pick something that none of the kit manufacturers do such as a B.R. cattle wagon.

Ray.

Quite right.  Based on Dapol's track record for releasing models, I am not holding my breath.  I think that if you want one, you're better off doing the kit.  When you get to a certain age, it is not certain that you will have enough time left.

John

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

From their perspective, why would they do a cattle wagon when they will sell as many conflats at less tooling cost?

They were first to grab the BR 10' chassis which has already  realised 5 or 6 different wagons and are now about to bring out a GWR one which will also allow them to produce numerous wagons (box, open, mogo etc).

If you were going to do a one off it would need to be something very numereous and widely seen over a long time frame. Like a BR brake van for example.

The question for me is not why they have chosen this route, it's why no one else has. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Skytrex used to do a RTR Conflat, quite crude and the Dapol one will be better. So it's not new in RTR but the BR rather than GWR would be better, unless you model GW. As well as Parkside, Slaters and the former M&M do kits.

What I really want to know is how to build a crane which can lift the container in a prototypical way onto a Mechanical Horse trailer?  Hornby containers had a loop on the top.  Its one for Giles.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

These wagons were actually announce long before last year. When Dapol first announced they were going to do 0-gauge wagons these were on the original list of proposed wagons but then everything went quiet. It's taken a few years but here they are at last I hope they are yet another success for them they have done a lot to make 0-gauge the success it is today. 

• Agree 2

Indeed  of the original 8 wagons announced at Guildex it is just the gunpowder van and southern pattern box van to go. The illustration used at the time was of a GWR iron mink improvised gunpowder van, and Minerva have in the meantime  produced one of those. It could be they really meant the BR type gunpowder van, which is different, but whether that is viable now remains to be seen.

Here's hoping for the SR box van though.

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, gardenwall said:

Indeed  of the original 8 wagons announced at Guildex it is just the gunpowder van and southern pattern box van to go. The illustration used at the time was of a GWR iron mink improvised gunpowder van, and Minerva have in the meantime  produced one of those. It could be they really meant the BR type gunpowder van, which is different, but whether that is viable now remains to be seen.

Here's hoping for the SR box van though.

It would also be good if they did the LMS type brake van and some longer wheelbase mineral wagons, plate wagons,Tube wagons and box Van's. I'm sure they would all sell for them and increase the possibilities for 0-gauge.

Another winner would be more modern image wagons especially those that run with the Class 66's as without stock to go with them they will just end up as shelf queens and paper weights. 

We can all dream and live in hope though lol......

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, markjj said:

It would also be good if they did the LMS type brake van and some longer wheelbase mineral wagons, plate wagons,Tube wagons and box Van's. I'm sure they would all sell for them and increase the possibilities for 0-gauge.

Well, again, Slaters do the large 20T LMS brake (and I have one to build).  The ex MR shorter brakes would be welcome though.  Parkside do plate, tube wagons and two types of LMS brake.  There are loads of different types of wagons not already done by kit makers I think.

The broader point is that I would prefer to see Dapol focus their limited resources producing wagons that are currently unavailable in kit form.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Dava said:

What I really want to know is how to build a crane which can lift the container in a prototypical way onto a Mechanical Horse trailer?  Hornby containers had a loop on the top.  Its one for Giles.

Dava

I can't help with a working crane but Skytrex (their lineside stuff is really good IMO, even if their wagons are a tad naff) do several cranes:

https://www.ogauge.co.uk/36-cranes

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brossard said:

Well, again, Slaters do the large 20T LMS brake (and I have one to build).  The ex MR shorter brakes would be welcome though.  Parkside do plate, tube wagons and two types of LMS brake.  There are loads of different types of wagons not already done by kit makers I think.

The broader point is that I would prefer to see Dapol focus their limited resources producing wagons that are currently unavailable in kit form.

John

Slaters did the brake van, the box van, and most of the minerals were covered along with any of the wagons so far produced. Big problem many people cannot and will not build kits.

Look at what has come so far it's all available.

I'm not looking for RTR I'm just saying it's what needed for those that cant make kits.

A lot of kits need an engineering degree to build them.

My days are filled with the likes of MMP and MOK kits plus the odd Finney or Finney 7 as it now is and ex JLTRT/MMP kits.

A lot of these are killed off by RTR so the place now needs to be filled by stuff gone and what now will never come because kit producers will not do kits anymore.

I doubt any RTR manufacturer will produce new wagons that dont fit on existing chassis so all we will get is re-runs with new numbers and evolutionary paint changes......

• Agree 1

You are right, plenty of differing views in the hobby.

I've tried my hand at many kits, including MMP.  I fell down miserably when trying to do the working leaf springs but Peco's chassis kit saved me.

Off the top of my head I can't remember when a kit maker announced a new kit.  So looks like we are stuck with what's already available.  Still, I have a long way to go before I exhaust the kit offerings.

John

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, brossard said:

You are right, plenty of differing views in the hobby.

I've tried my hand at many kits, including MMP.  I fell down miserably when trying to do the working leaf springs but Peco's chassis kit saved me.

Off the top of my head I can't remember when a kit maker announced a new kit.  So looks like we are stuck with what's already available.  Still, I have a long way to go before I exhaust the kit offerings.

John

Lots of things were promised but the RTR market has killed them. All I'm saying is they now have to step up to the mark and fill what was to come but now never may be..... 

I knew several kit suppliers as friends but know how RTR has changed their view on things. Just look and see what was and what's gone.....

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, brossard said:

Thanks for your perspective on kit makers.

It's a conundrum.  On one hand, I want to support kit makers but on the other I also want to support Dapol.  Hmmm, what to do?

John

I have tried it all ways but to no avail I just hope I win the lottery tonight and I can flood one or the other with the orders they are looking for..... 

All the best 

Mark j 

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Luke Piewalker said:

They should do a version as a shunter match truck. Would go well with all those Heljan 03s

Like all things the RTR manufacturer's need to follow up with all the options it's all down to doing the homework. I can remember the DJH 03 kits coming out about 10 years ago and people wanting to find the converted conflats that where used to make the shunters trip the signalling systems in use at the time.

• Like 1

I remember doing a Bill Bedford Conflat L as a match truck for the Bachmann 03.  I didn't do anything much to it other than adding station pilot lamps.  I made some custom transfers.

If you buy the conflat by itself, isn't that it?  I'm probably missing something.

John

1 hour ago, markjj said:

I have tried it all ways but to no avail I just hope I win the lottery tonight and I can flood one or the other with the orders they are looking for..... 

All the best 

Mark j 

No lottery for us, they shut it down as non-essential  :angry:

John