O gauge conflat.

birdseyecircus

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, brossard said:

I remember doing a Bill Bedford Conflat L as a match truck for the Bachmann 03.  I didn't do anything much to it other than adding station pilot lamps.  I made some custom transfers.

If you buy the conflat by itself, isn't that it?  I'm probably missing something.

John

A conflat L was another wagon kit that has been tossed around for years there is no doubt a thread on here discussing its values and virtues lol...

The conflat carried containers that often held paint and other liquids I believe and I stand corrected with various manufacturers names on them.

Hornby did them some 30-40 years ago it was one of the most highly detailed wagons they did at the time.. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, markjj said:

I doubt any RTR manufacturer will produce new wagons that dont fit on existing chassis

I think someone will do an LMS 10' chassis which would allow 3 and 5 planks plus a few types of box vans all of which lasted well into BR days. 

1 hour ago, brossard said:

Dapol already did BR 5 plank opens, one unfitted and another fitted.

John

But not with an LMS clasp brake, auxilliary suspension, brake rigging. I believe that is what is being suggested. Even Parkside - Peco don't do this. An easy win!

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think Dapol want to build towards an O gauge range like there already exists in OO where you can get pretty much any stock that was widespread/common in RTR, Conflat suits that aim regardless of any good kits out there, especially with the growing RTR market for O.

• Agree 1

Welcome news, but about time.  I seem to remember it was on the list of models to be produced when Dapol first announced they were entering the O Gauge market.  As the BR version appears to be the early version based on a GWR design here's hoping, assuming that the long awaited Vanwide is produced, Dapol will use the underframe from that to produce the later Conflat A with 8 shoe brakegear as well.

Nige  

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, DoctorLard7 said:

I think Dapol want to build towards an O gauge range like there already exists in OO where you can get pretty much any stock that was widespread/common in RTR, Conflat suits that aim regardless of any good kits out there, especially with the growing RTR market for O.

If that's the case, they better get a move on and bring models to market a darn sight quicker than they have up to now.  The vanwide and palvan have been promised for a long time and still MIA.

John

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Decorated samples on the Dapol Digest:

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/o-gauge-models/rolling-stock-aa/br-10ft-chassis-wagons/gwr-br-conflat/9111-gwr-br-conflat-decorated-samples

Including a link to their Dapol TV conflat-onna-turntable views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmAGryqX0DQ&feature=youtu.be

Looking very desirable IMHO.

Regards, Gerry.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, steam-driven boy said:

Hi,

Decorated samples on the Dapol Digest:

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/o-gauge-models/rolling-stock-aa/br-10ft-chassis-wagons/gwr-br-conflat/9111-gwr-br-conflat-decorated-samples

Including a link to their Dapol TV conflat-onna-turntable views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmAGryqX0DQ&feature=youtu.be

Looking very desirable IMHO.

Regards, Gerry.

So are they only doing the GWR design? I thought B numbers indicated a BR build but that just looks like the GWR one in BR livery unless I'm mistaken?

Not that livery samples necessarily mean anything as they are purely to test colours.

Edited by Hal Nail

57 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

So are they only doing the GWR design? I thought B numbers indicated a BR build but that just looks like the GWR one in BR livery unless I'm mistaken?

Not that livery samples necessarily mean anything as they are purely to test colours.

I believe the first BR Conflat A were the same as the 10' wb GWR one (H7- H9).

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 18/07/2020 at 15:08, Fat Controller said:

I believe the first BR Conflat A were the same as the 10' wb GWR one (H7- H9).

Yes I've found them I think: according to appendix 4 of British Railways Wagons, the first half million, Swindon made a batch of 200 in 1950 and Dapols number fits with that.

I will stick with the Slaters one but I wouldn't mind some of those chains from Dapol.

6 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Yes I've found them I think: according to appendix 4 of British Railways Wagons, the first half million, Swindon made a batch of 200 in 1950 and Dapols number fits with that.

I will stick with the Slaters one but I wouldn't mind some of those chains from Dapol.

Correct, but we haven't seen the model yet. 

Paul

16 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Slaters M7022 BR Container Shackles.

John

• 1 month later...
On 22/10/2020 at 22:05, Hal Nail said:

I like the idea of them being rigid as not easy to get loose chains to stay taut.

A little "Superglue" or careful work with solder? Having not seen the Slaters parts I don't know what materials they are made from but either way I'm sure they could be made rigid, usually easy if you don't want them to be!! 

• Funny 1

• 6 months later...

Just received one today; am I missing something? - the container just sits on the chassis with no apparent fixing method ( apart from the chains perhaps? ) On an outdoor track with inherent “wobbles” there’s a feeling that what sets off may not actually arrive! Any suggestions, it is it just me….

I answered my own question….. as the container roof lifts off I used a small self tapping screw through the container base using one of the existing holes. Sorted! But perhaps Dapol should have thought of a fixing……

• Agree 1