Hornby 153 Loksound....remove capacitors?

boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium

Hello, not been able to find any answer upon searching, I have fitted a Loksound V4 with SWD sounds to my Class 153 Hornby DMU, all went really well, but the actual smoothness of accel and deceleration (especially at very slow to stop) is very jerky, there is a note in the SWD instructions to the effect that before adjusting the accel curves there should be no capacitors between the motor and chip, just asking if anyone is familiar with this Hornby board and knows which are the capacitors I should remove, and indeed if anyone has done this before? I suspect they are the two large caps at the bottom of the picture, but I don’t want to cock it all up basically.D5B24BBB-EEB7-486C-9B23-D1106B701448.jpeg.f95dfaa6b4b5ec3662ec2dd378a1ffcb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

The electrolytics you pointed out are usually used for smoothing/bypass for power circuits.

The suppression cap's are usually ceramic, and look like they will be SMD types (chip).

Looking at the service sheet, there's a binocular choke at the motor but no cap's. So it would seem they are on the board somewhere.

Unfortunately the sheet isn't clear where the motor wiring runs to on the board.

Maybe a mail to Hornby explaining the problem may help.

Rob

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...