S&D Sentinel 3D print

Hi,

Last year I bought a Hornby Sentinel diesel cheap. I was struck by how similar the basic diamensions were to it's S&D grandfathers, so I thought about a conversion, out came the razor saw and Plasticard. I made a basic cab, but stalled on how to form the main part of the body. I recently picked up the project again and over the few weeks I have been putting together a cad for 3d printing. I started with just the basic shape intending to add the cab and details with plasticard. but got a bit carried away. I not certain it will fit my stripped down Hornby chassis, if it does the wheelbase will be 2mm over. Someone elsewhere suggested that I mount it on a HighLevel QuadDrive. But I will try and get it onto the Hornby first.

465103427_SentinelCAD160420.jpg.c3107068452052ef4ffd1ab9f61086b3.jpg

878858110_SentinelCAD1604202.jpg.c5d315950681e0b2e65eba31606b97a2.jpg1932401744_sentinel160420.jpg.093b1c03b74aa906f90d665a04d32d2c.jpg.

I will post again when I get the samples back.

Regards,

Neil

• Like 11

I am using tinkercad, It's very easy, this is the first thing I have ever drawn. The test print arrived yesterday, and looking at that it taught me a lot about how to design for printing.20200417_095021.jpg.6e9eebaa06ebc5fd1d8900e1e799bd5d.jpg

Regards,

Neil

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Further to my earlier post I have done some more work to the Sentinel CAD, (thanks to Roger O'Neil for loan of official drawing) I have now designed it to (hopefully!) fit the High Level QuadDrive chassis. I have taken some of the details off the main sub assemblies to be separate parts. and also drawn the side frames. Only things left to do are cab steps & brake gear, but I will wait for the chassis to arrive before I start that.1662909786_ScreenHunter_84May_1601_56.jpg.3adc051e83330c771ef1291e5e1d98ce.jpg369636239_ScreenHunter_86May_1601_57.jpg.bd5d31b3b9bb83d0ca9377c4c43b5f98.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Neil.

There was another one of these called  Joyce which was based at Waddon Gas works I think and is the one preserved at Shillingstone masquerading as an S & D one. It had some differences, with round spectacles and a little thing above the front buffer beam.

RT Models may do a chassis which fits this.

964436526_MidsomerNorton3.jpg.597dc25933639a9a94d7b44aab6770c7.jpg

All the best

Ray

• Like 1

Thanks Ray, I have stood on the footplate of Joyce, and chatted with the owner when I visited the S&DRHT at Midsomer Norton about 3 years back. Which was long before I thought of doing this. IIRC he has his own website on which he lists the differences between Joyce and her S&D sisters.

This week I have been doing some work on the Cad and think I have sussed out how to fit a High Level QuadDrive22.  I gave the file to my mate with the Mars only a couple of hours back. Life would be so much easier if I already had the Saturn I have on pre-order.

I have also worked on a bit more detail, adding the split & hinges on the access panels either side of the cylinders. I have also changed the cover over the chimney (or is it just the boiler exhaust?)  as I can see something different to what I had is going on there. but with just a couple of  blurry pics which are both at quite a low angle it is difficult to see what exactly, also pretty sure that it was different to Joyce. so just a best guess.  Here is the latest CAD:

2020-06-16__Sentinel_.jpg.b5d11b2e7cd3b3012bf7a14cd132dc96.jpg1076321645_2020-06-162Sentinel.jpg.2716dd4b24e45bf75502becfd3c24d5f.jpg

Regards,

Neil

Edited by neilkirby
Typos
  • Like 6

Hi,

I don't think Joyce would be too much extra work, from memory the round cab windows and 'the thing' in front of the bonnet, that you mentioned. Also rounded lower cab back instead of angled. beading around the cylinder access plates,  coal hatch both sides instead of just left.  but then again. I still don't know whether this project is just for me, or be available to others.

I have Holst advising on planets :D but seriously they are models of 3d printer made by Elegoo, with the Saturn being a new bigger version of the Mars. Which I very nearly ordered a few weeks ago before finding out more about the Saturn

Regards,

Neil

Hi Neil.

I would certainly like a Joyce, if that ever happened.

With these new machines, do they offer a greater range of materials that can be printed ?

I know that there are various types of plastic, nylon, resin and even metals that can be used, although I suspect that some of these are only suitable for top end machines. Then there is what is being used to produce the S.E. & C.R. vans for Rails, which I believe is a new type of material. It all gets beyond me.

All the best

Ray

Hi Ray,

I make no promises, but to keep doing something whilst awaiting my 3d printer to be delivered. I had a play at modifying the CAD for Joyce. and came up with the following:

707038689_ScreenHunter_108Jun_2122_16.jpg.6c9cdb30a39e4619ed7f408b8e6ef9e7.jpg792351388_ScreenHunter_109Jun_2122_17.jpg.20f03722b1ff0af43e32868a32437434.jpg

It's suprising, but the more you look at photos of the real things, the more differences you spot from the Radstock twins.  I still have work to do with the chimney, and two things that are slightly different which I won't be changing is the depth of the step in the footplate & the profile of the cab roof, as both of these would mean nearly starting again from scratch. (the Radstock engines had a deeper step).

Changes made so far:

Curved rear cab

Coal hatch swapped from left to right  and size & shape changed

Beading and clamps on access panels

Cab windows changed from square to round

Adjusters on axleboxes changed from back to front

Buffer spacers taken out and heads increased in size

Front bufferbeam raised

Cylinder mounting now showing through bonnet front plate

New whistle

Cab roof vent removed

Lamp irons changed (may still have to lower the front one)

Cutouts in footplate above sanboxes removed

I think that is all, unless anyone knows of something I have missed.

Regards,

Neil

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Neil.

That is very interesting and it is amazing that there are so many differences between the two types. You would think that Sentinel would produce their design and apart from a few things, like perhaps the spectacle shape and sandbox access which the customer might specify, they would be otherwise standard.

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Ray

Hi,

Chimney and damper plates now done (dampers both opened and closed):

471242364_ScreenHunter_113Jun_2214_13.jpg.a48fd09ede237009161f6ef7f4b040c8.jpg

785204203_ScreenHunter_111Jun_2214_08.jpg.def54d373f1818e21b69a2231ff32427.jpg

although whether they will print sucessfully is another matter!

Regards,

Neil

Edited by neilkirby
  • Like 1

I have a scale drawing, that was lent to me by someone after I posted the 1st version of the cad. The plans do not show much useable detail,  I have gleaned most information from photos,  both online and from books

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I finally received my Elegoo Saturn last week, and am currently a a quarter of the way through a print. There have been a few changes to the CAD since I last posted. Fingers crossed that I wake up to a good print.

Neil

1763694596_Sentinel1311203.jpg.d5df3091e0545dccdfaee1bbcedb85e5.jpg

674700097_Sentinel1311201.jpg.e1ba9640b61b9e4d176d181f33221e4d.jpg

Sentinel 131120 ‎2.jpg

Edited by neilkirby
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

That looks fantastic. It will definitely be interesting to see how it turns out. Out of interest, are the lamp irons included on the print? I’ve generally shied away from printing those, but if yours turn out ok, I’ll give them a go.

Hi,

Lamp irons are on,  some have broken off the prototype, but these were done on a friends printer some months ago using whatever resin he had in it,  which was quite brittle, I have  used the 'ABS like' resin and there seems to be a little bit of give in it, But whether it stays like that when fully cured, who knows?!  It they do come off, they should trim down with a sharp blade  so nothing lost  image.png.52e31a53fc4761b24d5cc8183eacb0f1.png

Regards,

Neil

• Like 2

Hi,

Originally I started this as a single part to help with a scratch build just for me, and got a bit carried away. But as i have had a fair bit of interest, and if I can get them to print to a standard I am happy with, I will offer them,  Also  I have provisionally worked at modifying the CAD for 'Joyce'

Regards,

Neil

PS the IF part is a big if after yesterdays fail, I seem to be getting further away from a good print, but then again I have only had the machine for a couple of weeks.

• Like 1