S&D Sentinel 3D print

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Are you intending to retail these? I'd certainly be interested in buying one if you do.

Cheers 

Me too, as well. It looks good.

Kind regards

Iain

Neil,

Your work on this is very impressive, well done. Can I make a couple of comments on the roof/chimney? The current CAD shows what looks like a fixed cover plate over the chimneys but it should be a sliding cover that was opened when the loco was in use and slid over the chimneys when out of steam. The attached drawing 11127 shows how this was arranged.

Chapter Eight in the recently published book 'Sentinel Locomotives and Sentinel-Cammell Railcars' by the Industrial Railway Society mentions that the cab on the two S&D Sentinels was too high as first delivered to Radstock and had to be lowered by 2 1/2 inches and the chimney casing shortened by 4 1/2 inches. The somewhat imperfect drawing 11126 shows the alterations made.

Incidentally your CAD correctly shows just one opening coal bunker door on the left hand side of the cab. The superb CSP kit for these locomotives also includes a door on the right hand cab side which is not correct.

H16LSWR

11126.jpg

11127.modified.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, those drawings are of great help.  That part is the most difficult part to see on any photo, and the original builders plans did not make it clear. What I had was no more than best guess from what I could see, I will work on modifying the CAD using these. Thanks again.

Also, It is interesting what you said about the cab hatches,  It's funny I have been looking at pictures of the radstock engines for 30 odd years and never noticed that it was only on one side until recently. (Joyce has hers other way around and a slightly different shape).

regards,

Neil

Edited by neilkirby

Done a bit of drawing lunch time :

435817512_SentinelClosed.jpg.ed8d00c149c912859d9041d45de14c35.jpg1444378532_Sentinelopen.jpg.e29a060c07c4d6654564beacf3a1fbc1.jpg

Thanks again H16LSWR

EDIT

After looking at the drawing again today, I think I have these plates  upsidedown, will edit again lunch time

EDIT AGAIN

I think this is more like it:

145898253_Sentinelcovers011220.jpg.44cb129ae8e8e6cf531462e5aaeafc4c.jpg

Regards,

Neil

PS my grandfather and great grandfather both worked at Longhedge works in Battersea

Edited by neilkirby
typo
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Re: "PS the IF part is a big if after yesterdays fail, I seem to be getting further away from a good print, but then again I have only had the machine for a couple of weeks."

You seem to be taking on a lot with the learning curve for a new machine.

I would love one too, in 4mm. I have posted elsewhere to file with Shapeways.

Regards

Edited by Dazzler Fan
  • Like 1